FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's a really good program?

mafialive
I am looking for a good program that is helpful in making website templates and coding them. I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 and I love but I was wondering is this the best option or is there something better out there. I know that Dreamweaver is a high quality program and any more suggestions that anyone has would be great to add to my collection.
UKJim
I think its good for people to start with a peice of kit like this but I always find it shovels a lot of sh... erm lets say irrelevant information into your page code.

I tend to use html editor when at home or notepad/wordpad everywhere else when its not possible. I use photoshop and paint shop pro for my images as there are many different brushes you can download and this can create many effects.

The reason why I use notepad/html editor is basically because I can layout the code in a readable manner, also managing the page is a lot easier. The page code can be decoded easily and you know exactly where your inserting say an image or whatever.

Also as an added bonus to this, you also get used to the coding of HTML (other languages too) and get an understanding of that rather than just a GUI interface. This can be beneficial in the long run if your looking into a career in HTML or web design etc.

My career is nothing to do with web design or html but I do it via notepad for the fun and experience of it all.

As to your original question though, if your looking for a good editor like dreamweaver I think you have the best one right there, I used to use that when I started out, now its pure notepad/html editor WOOO!!

Let me know if I have inspired you to try it Smile
Thanks
Josso
Yeah, you can't really go wrong (mostly) with a program like that although as mentioned above if you make everything in design view and then decide to edit things via the code it is often a tangled mess.
cavey
Dreamweaver is the most recommended programme as far as I know. I use it myself. The code view anyway.

For graphics, I would use Adobe Photoshop if you can afford it! Photoshop elements are probably good enough too. Much cheaper anyway.
RadekPL
For coding - any text editor with code colour function is enough (e.g. Notepad Pro) - this will allow you to see the code easily and spot any unclosed tags by miles. To do layout however it's best to make it as an image (jpeg) an then 'translate' (crop, cut, code etc) it to proper html.

There's plenty of quality and reasonably priced graphic software available (even freeware) to make the layout (or parts of the layout):

Paint.net - free (used to be and hopefully still is) well improved version of old MS Paint - gives plenty of control over the images, ideal for basic editing and dead easy to use.
GIMP - a bit difficult and tricky to learn, but quite powerful and well documented - will cost you nothing
Ulead PhotoImpact - not very expensive piece of software - ideal for advanced graphics with plenty of options, filters, layers, masks etc - all designed for web graphics. One of the best for web purposes.
steve1200
It is important to know if you want an WYSIWYG-Editor (WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet) like Dreamwaver, or if you want to code the whole page by yourself. (which i preferr).

In the first case, Dreamwaver is the best program.
In the second case, i would recommend "Phase 5 HTML-Editor". It's basically German, but i think there is also an english version in the web.

greets
wadja-host
hey i think you should try phped cos not only does it train you more bout php but also bout html well for starters i recommended you go to sitepoint or w3schools and get some useful tutorials cos from my look of it yu may not really like coding you may be a wysiwyg lover
Vrythramax
Personally I'd start out with a strictly manual editor (Coffeecup for example...there are many others), that can provide you with some tag insight while you are still learning. Notepad is a great editor (I use UltraEdit myself for quick edits), but using it implies you already know all the code to make a page from scratch and modify it later.

Once you become familiar with HTML (or XHTML...whatever) then you can switch over to a visual editor. I say start with the manual one because if you want to add some functionality (javascript, SSI, php includes, etc.) you will have a much better understanding of the underlying source code, and how it works on your page, for when you switch to a visual editor.

Many visual editors produce some very confusing source code, imagine trying to edit a page with absolute positioning from a visual editor by hand if you don't already have a really good understanding of html. Confused
polly-gone
If you are really serious about making websites, consider writing them yourself with a program like HTML-Kit, that way you can make everything EXACTLY how you want it and it would be really easy for you to edit.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Crinoid
I had read that designers are using:
- Photoshop to create layout,
- own or free css raw sketches for create different basic layouts,
- programmer's text editor (Notepad++ for example) for a clean code output together with common browser to see results.

I have heard many good things about DreamWeaver, except that resulting code contains something that it shouldn't contain.
ThePolemistis
Vrythramax wrote:
Personally I'd start out with a strictly manual editor (Coffeecup for example...there are many others), that can provide you with some tag insight while you are still learning. Notepad is a great editor (I use UltraEdit myself for quick edits), but using it implies you already know all the code to make a page from scratch and modify it later.

Once you become familiar with HTML (or XHTML...whatever) then you can switch over to a visual editor. I say start with the manual one because if you want to add some functionality (javascript, SSI, php includes, etc.) you will have a much better understanding of the underlying source code, and how it works on your page, for when you switch to a visual editor.

Many visual editors produce some very confusing source code, imagine trying to edit a page with absolute positioning from a visual editor by hand if you don't already have a really good understanding of html. Confused

Surely the best is visual studio. I have learnt a lot of html standards thru the cool intellisense.
I think the express edition (free one) also has intellisense on CSS, javascript and html.