FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Vista problem

Roald
I recently bought a new pc with Vista installed on it Sad . I've got two problems: sometimes my internet connection fails for no apparent reason, I can still ping sites, but they don't load on browser. I use a rooter.

Second: every time I turn my pc on, I see that there are like 4 external USB devices mounted, which isn't true...

Anyone knows how to solve these/ one of these problems?
metalfreek
Regarding the internet problem try these command in DOS whenever you have a problem in internet surfing

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

Try these command in sequence given above you might solve the problem.
kirba
if metalfreek's solution doesn't work, try to reset it.(not restart but reset)

and for usb, try the following:

click "safely remove ..."
then unistall/install driver for USB

try and tell did it work
Roald
metalfreek wrote:
Regarding the internet problem try these command in DOS whenever you have a problem in internet surfing

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

Try these command in sequence given above you might solve the problem.
I tried doing this already but Windows says I'm not authorized (but I'm the administrator)...
kirba wrote:
if metalfreek's solution doesn't work, try to reset it.(not restart but reset)

and for usb, try the following:

click "safely remove ..."
then unistall/install driver for USB

try and tell did it work
I did this too already, it just keeps appearing on every start-up. And what do you mean with uninstall/install driver for USB?
Diablosblizz
Don't uninstall the USB driver, it may remove your ability to use USB drives. For the command above (ipconfig) in Vista search type "cmd" then right click the result and click "Run as administrator."

Users in Vista (weather administrative or not) actually run in limited user mode, to reduce the installation of viruses so that may cause the error above.
Roald
I can refresh my ip adress now, but that doesn't solve my internet problem. I can still play multiplayer games and use other internet related applications though, but I can't use firefox nor IE. The other pc's connected to the rooter are still capable of using normal internet.
bloodrider
Did you check your firewall and anti-virus?
Pepperfan
Sounds like a DNS issue if you can ping but name resolution does not work.

Try going to the tcp/ip properties for your network card and putting changing your dns to use
4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1. Then at least you will know if your DNS server is the cause.

Charles
Roald
Pepperfan wrote:
Sounds like a DNS issue if you can ping but name resolution does not work.

Try going to the tcp/ip properties for your network card and putting changing your dns to use
4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1. Then at least you will know if your DNS server is the cause.

Charles
I keep having internet with my dns put on 4.2.2.2 or 4.2.2.1
bloodrider wrote:
Did you check your firewall and anti-virus?
Yeah I did, even with firewall completely shut down I couldn't access internet on my browser.
metalfreek
As far as I have collected you are using internet for more than one computer so, just go to your network configuration and set Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically.
Roald
metalfreek wrote:
As far as I have collected you are using internet for more than one computer so, just go to your network configuration and set Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically.
My internet settings have always been set on these. It's a very strange problem because it suddenly happens. I can still use MSN and other internet related things but I can't see web pages.

And if my internet 'fails', putting DNS on 4.2.2.2 or 4.2.2.1 doesn't help.