FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Annoying co-workers

kody
I'm pretty annoyed by some co-workers physical habits.

This one guy on the other side of the cubicle wall keeps snorting and choking on phlegm all day long. It's continuous, like every 2 minutes.

Just burns my ears!

Anyone else have stupid office things that annoy the hell outta them?
deanhills
kody wrote:
I'm pretty annoyed by some co-workers physical habits.

This one guy on the other side of the cubicle wall keeps snorting and choking on phlegm all day long. It's continuous, like every 2 minutes.

Just burns my ears!

Anyone else have stupid office things that annoy the hell outta them?

That has to be very irritating. I there anything you can do about this?

I also find things like that irritating. As well as having to listen to people's loud music when earphones are readily available. Or someone putting their phone on speakerphone. Mobile phones ringing without the person answering it. People discussing personal nitty gritty details on their mobile phones at the top of their voices. Quite a list already ... Smile
kody
Oh yeah! You're nailing a few more there for sure!

The cell phone one seems like such a jackass thing. Use vibrate!!!

Not sure what I can do about my snorting neighbour. Other than moving cubicles that is...
deanhills
kody wrote:
Not sure what I can do about my snorting neighbour. Other than moving cubicles that is...
You're right, this is a difficult one. If you would confront him, he probably would not know what you are talking about as he is probably not even aware that he has been doing it. I don't know whether this is worth pursuing, but why not find out whether there are remedies for this kind of thing? If there are, maybe make a suggestion to him of how to solve his problem? But yes, Canada being a society of non-confrontation I imagine I would have done the same that is going through your mind. Try and find another cubicle or if that is not possible, another job. Smile
kody
Ha! That would be pretty extreme... to leave a job because of one person's bad habits... yikes...

Anyone done that before??

I've actually asked him about it before, and he said he's gone to lots of doctors to try to figure out what makes him have to do it. So, the fact that it's a medical issue makes it even rougher to deal with... it's not like he's trying to annoy me. And he's a good guy too! Just super annoying to have as a cubicle neighbour...
jwellsy
Every time he snorts, answer him with a pig snort of your own. Let the surrounding cubicles know what's going on and get them to mock him too. Pretty soon it will turn hillarious as every time he snorts the whole office bursts into a symphony of snorts and giggles.
kody
jwellsy wrote:
Every time he snorts, answer him with a pig snort of your own. Let the surrounding cubicles know what's going on and get them to mock him too. Pretty soon it will turn hillarious as every time he snorts the whole office bursts into a symphony of snorts and giggles.

Hm. Think that would really work? Seems like office-bullying...

I have poked fun at it in saying someone is "pulling a 'John'" when they are sick and have plegm in their throat...

Name anonymized... just in case... Smile
biljap
I work in an office with ten people and only three of them are acting professionally. The others have a lot of „interesting“ jokes and bad behaviors, sometimes when boss is not around they turn on some music very loud and take alcoholic drink which is kept only for Friday AFTER the working hours... It is really annoying and I can’t do much about it, can’t even get used to it. I try to concentrate on work as much as I can... When it is not possible anymore and they don’t want to calm down, the only thing I can do is to turn my own music, put my earphones and try to work that way…Sad... Makes me feel very uncomfortable to be there, although I like my job and most of other offices are kind of more normal... I just wasn’t lucky enough... Confused
kody
biljap wrote:
I work in an office with ten people and only three of them are acting professionally. The others have a lot of „interesting“ jokes and bad behaviors, sometimes when boss is not around they turn on some music very loud and take alcoholic drink which is kept only for Friday AFTER the working hours... It is really annoying and I can’t do much about it, can’t even get used to it. I try to concentrate on work as much as I can... When it is not possible anymore and they don’t want to calm down, the only thing I can do is to turn my own music, put my earphones and try to work that way…Sad... Makes me feel very uncomfortable to be there, although I like my job and most of other offices are kind of more normal... I just wasn’t lucky enough... Confused

I don't get the feeling that these people will be around too much longer if they keep that up...
Wolf1918
My last work place had two very annoying people, however it was not their fault. Both of them had physical conditions that made it difficult to interact with them. One was deaf, had been born that way, and because of this he did not speak clearly so it was difficult to understand him when he was talking. It was also difficult to talk to him, he was a lip-reader but sometimes he couldn't catch what you were saying to him.

The other person in the office was confined to a wheelchair and needed physical help to do his job. He only had limited use of one hand.

There were other people there who were slightly annoying but those two were the worse ones.

Chad
kody
That's rough... Makes you feel guilty for even thinking that they're annoying?

I'm loving my situation now though... the snortling guy is on vacation for a week and a half! Woohoo!

Laughing
kerryworkman
Too often in life we lose sight of the simple pleasures: When dealing with annoying co-workers just remember that when someone is annoying you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. However, it only takes 4 muscles to extend you arm and smack the a**hole upside the head.
It may not solve your problem but it will sure make you feel better in the meantime.
kody
kerryworkman wrote:
Too often in life we lose sight of the simple pleasures: When dealing with annoying co-workers just remember that when someone is annoying you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. However, it only takes 4 muscles to extend you arm and smack the a**hole upside the head.
It may not solve your problem but it will sure make you feel better in the meantime.

LOL! nice...

Wouldn't feel too good when you're standing in the welfare line the following week...
deanhills
kody wrote:
kerryworkman wrote:

LOL! nice...

Wouldn't feel too good when you're standing in the welfare line the following week...
Canadians in general are also not much into violence, they seem to have it neatly suppressed. Was wondering whether a good set of ear plugs would be of any help. Or ear phones listening to favourite music? Would that be possible to do?
kody
deanhills wrote:
kody wrote:
kerryworkman wrote:

LOL! nice...

Canadians in general are also not much into violence, they seem to have it neatly suppressed. Was wondering whether a good set of ear plugs would be of any help. Or ear phones listening to favourite music? Would that be possible to do?

Canadians get their violent tendencies out through hockey...

Yeah, in-ear headphones are the current solution du jour. Not too social for other colleagues though...
deanhills
kody wrote:
Excellent point. Especially in Vancouver. I still remember them rampaging through Robson street on year after a heated hockey game. Smile
kody
deanhills wrote:
kody wrote:
Excellent point. Especially in Vancouver. I still remember them rampaging through Robson street on year after a heated hockey game. Smile

Yeah... indeed...

Won't happen this year because we're winning the cup! Smile
rockacola
I personally think ability to deal with your emotion toward annoying co-worker is an enhancement in your career and count toward your teamwork skill.

So if you have trouble getting along with few of many bad behaviors in a company then you should take 'Ability to work in stress environment' and 'A team player' off your resume. Twisted Evil
kody
rockacola wrote:
I personally think ability to deal with your emotion toward annoying co-worker is an enhancement in your career and count toward your teamwork skill.

That's a pretty good point actually. Hm, not sure if "team player" and "able to work in a stressful environment" accurately describe the situation though.

I would hate to hire a guy/gal that's great at ignoring annoying personality traits of coworkers, but is actually really terrible at doing work collaboratively or under timeline duress.

Maybe one should put "rarely fazed by annoyances" on their resume if they're impervious to such things...
deanhills
kody wrote:
rockacola wrote:

That's a pretty good point actually. Hm, not sure if "team player" and "able to work in a stressful environment" accurately describe the situation though.

I would hate to hire a guy/gal that's great at ignoring annoying personality traits of coworkers, but is actually really terrible at doing work collaboratively or under timeline duress.

Maybe one should put "rarely fazed by annoyances" on their resume if they're impervious to such things...
Agreed. Usually it is people who forcefully sort out the people with annoying habits that usually get noticed in career advancement. Forcefully not necessarily meaning negative, but actually confronting the situation head on. For that to happen however, people have to actually notice: (1) that there is a problem (2) that you are dealing with the problem, before they can count it as an enhancement to your career. Right now management is probably totally unaware of the problem, being ensconsed in their nice sound-proof offices. On second thoughts, it would probably depend on what the management is like too whether it would be regarded as positive or negative. They may see it as a threat if they had noticed the problem and had preferred not to deal with it.
kody
deanhills wrote:
kody wrote:
rockacola wrote:

Agreed. Usually it is people who forcefully sort out the people with annoying habits that usually get noticed in career advancement. Forcefully not necessarily meaning negative, but actually confronting the situation head on. For that to happen however, people have to actually notice: (1) that there is a problem (2) that you are dealing with the problem, before they can count it as an enhancement to your career. Right now management is probably totally unaware of the problem, being ensconsed in their nice sound-proof offices. On second thoughts, it would probably depend on what the management is like too whether it would be regarded as positive or negative. They may see it as a threat if they had noticed the problem and had preferred not to deal with it.

Ensconced... had to look that one up...

Embarassed
rockacola
kody wrote:

...Hm, not sure if "team player" and "able to work in a stressful environment" accurately describe the situation though....

That's exactly how I think at starting of my career: how can one's annoyingness got to do with teamwork?

Regardless of whether you are in a project group with this annoying guy, or just sitting in the cubical next to him/her... Your manager is going to notice the distance and ways you reject/repel when there's a need to interact with the annoying guy. eg/ you refuse to take coffee order for the floor simply because you don't want to talk with him/her; During project analysis, you will disregard his/her input because 'you don't like him/her'... etc

As for "able to work in a stressful environment"... I have a guy next to me chew with his mouth open, then sneeze above his head create an disease fountain to share with his mates. Tell me that's not stressful Wink
kody
rockacola wrote:

As for "able to work in a stressful environment"... I have a guy next to me chew with his mouth open, then sneeze above his head create an disease fountain to share with his mates. Tell me that's not stressful Wink

LOL! We have a couple of those guys too... Crying or Very sad
Chinmoy
these guys are so annoying, they also tend to be your so friendly friend, give you a run each time you see them...
kody
Chinmoy wrote:
these guys are so annoying, they also tend to be your so friendly friend, give you a run each time you see them...

What do you mean? I don't really understand...

"Give you a run each time you see them"?
Jintastic
kody wrote:

yea cellphones are so annoying. Now that people have texting, you hear a bring/random noise every 5 seconds. is there no common courtesy?
kody
Jintastic wrote:
kody wrote:

yea cellphones are so annoying. Now that people have texting, you hear a bring/random noise every 5 seconds. is there no common courtesy?

That should be an easy one to just go tell the person to shut off their frakin' phone or you'll do it for 'em...
deanhills
kody wrote:
Jintastic wrote:
kody wrote:

That should be an easy one to just go tell the person to shut off their frakin' phone or you'll do it for 'em...
Possibly there should be regulations about this too. I.e. like putting a cell phone in silent mode when at work.
kody
deanhills wrote:
kody wrote:
Jintastic wrote:
kody wrote:

Possibly there should be regulations about this too. I.e. like putting a cell phone in silent mode when at work.

If so many people have phones that ring all the time, cell phones in general could be banned.
raaeft1
Mo co-workers recently played politics with me. Some important work that I was to do was assigned to some co-workers who have been politicking against me. And the worst thing was that these co-workers are believed to be close to my bosses.

So I suffered loss of face and prestige before others who were expecting me to perform that work. Moreover, I am feeling depressed and demoralized after these episodes. And there is nobody to whom I can approach for justice.rbd C
kody
raaeft1 wrote:
Mo co-workers recently played politics with me. Some important work that I was to do was assigned to some co-workers who have been politicking against me. And the worst thing was that these co-workers are believed to be close to my bosses.

So I suffered loss of face and prestige before others who were expecting me to perform that work. Moreover, I am feeling depressed and demoralized after these episodes. And there is nobody to whom I can approach for justice.rbd C

What happened exactly?