FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Serious Wordpress errors

vineeth
Hello,

My wordpress installation (latest) asks me to provide hostname, username etc when I try to automatically upgrade my plugins. The error screen is given below. WHat to do?

rvec
that's ftp information, if you put that in wordpress can change permissions, change files and add/delete files on your site.

It is not an error, just a step in the upgrade process.
vineeth
rvec wrote:
that's ftp information, if you put that in wordpress can change permissions, change files and add/delete files on your site.

It is not an error, just a step in the upgrade process.

But earlier, whenever I try for an automatic upgrade of mu plugins, it never asked for these data. Then how can this screen appear suddenly? Should I have to change any file system permissions?
rvec
maybe the plugins didn't need to change permissions or add/delete files and they do now.
vineeth
rvec wrote:
maybe the plugins didn't need to change permissions or add/delete files and they do now.

But this is a serious change no? Earlier, it was so easy to install and activate a plug in form my wordpress control panel. Only a few clicks were necessary. Now I have to provide FTP information and the process is slow, which even fails sometimes.

I do not know what exactly happened.

EDIT
And the problem is getting hot as when I tried to update my XML Sitemap using Google XML sitemap plugin, it gave the following error.

There was a problem writing your sitemap file. Make sure the file exists and is writable. Learn more
There was a problem writing your zipped sitemap file. Make sure the file exists and is writable. Learn more

Whats this?
Bondings
Maybe you need to change the permissions of your files? Check which permissions the sitemap and the zip file have and maybe try with more permissions and see if it works then.