FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tablet PC - hardwer that dont succes ?

Pengeszikra
I very like my tablet PC ( LG LT-20 ), but I see other users much prefer laptop than tablet PC.
My question is: what is wrong part of tablet PC usability ?
Pengeszikra
The true is, don't have too much optimized program for tablet PC.

Example for graphics have only one real good pressure sensitive program is: Alias Sketchbook Pro.
bloodrider
A tablet PC can't do all the functions that a laptop can do...
So for now, I think that tablet PC will only be useful for those who want to work, with "small tasks", who wants mobility but don't want to be limited will still with their laptops Razz
Hogwarts
bloodrider wrote:
A tablet PC can't do all the functions that a laptop can do...
So for now, I think that tablet PC will only be useful for those who want to work, with "small tasks", who wants mobility but don't want to be limited will still with their laptops Razz

Uuuuh? A convertible tablet can do everything and more, from what I know.

Pengeszikra wrote:
The true is, don't have too much optimized program for tablet PC.

Example for graphics have only one real good pressure sensitive program is: Alias Sketchbook Pro.

Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Adobe Fireworks all support pressure-sensitivity.

[quote="Pengeszikra"I very like my tablet PC ( LG LT-20 ), but I see other users much prefer laptop than tablet PC.
My question is: what is wrong part of tablet PC usability ?[/quote]

Absoloutely nothing. The only problem is the price, which keeps them out of the range of most consumers.
Pengeszikra
Yes,

Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Adobe Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash and Corel Painter IX. also use pressure sensitive, but Alias Sketch Pro 2 is fare better sense pressure. Try it.

This programs also don't real optimise for tablet PC ( or tablet use ), because programs works with many short keys, example need to press ALT + CTRL + tablet to do something. So if tablet PC at no keyboard position sometime don't have to much programmable key to simulate keyboard.
In LG LT-20 is better one, because have 6 programmable key around the screen (at closed position) + screen rotation button.
Pengeszikra
Tablet PC is have all functionality that is normal laptop can do. Plus can close to screen only position, when can use pen to draw or write on surface. And this position is very comfortable to read some PDF, or draw sketch, or paint digital image.

This computer type is very useful for creative work. But much program is designed to large or even multiple screen work (but that programs not good for laptop too) .

To real creative work need to find the right programs. That way i like lightweight program.
Hogwarts
Well, they are meant for portability, so I assume you'd want a smaller screen to begin with. Also, tablet PCs are also popular for things besides doing artwork -- for example, I intend on buying one to use for note-taking alongside small-scale artworks (I'm a coder primarily, only a designer secondarily). Why aren't you able to plug an external keyboard/monitor into your tablet PC, anyway? O_o

IBM docking station, for the win >.>
william
The only problem with a tablet PC is the components that drive it. As in, I would not want to use a tablet as my main computer, and would want a desktop or more powerful laptop to go with it. Oh, and then there is price. Also, I haven't really done this myself, but couldn't you get some of the functionality of a tablet PC with a WACOM tablet if design is what you're into?

Anyhow, I do like the exra functionality of a tablet, and would probably get one if they weren't so expensive. Until then, I'll be sticking to more powerful laptops, since I do need power on the go.
Pengeszikra
What do you think about iPad vs. TabletPC ?

Who miss the flash player capability from iPad?
Denvis
Pengeszikra wrote:

Miss? I thought it comes out 3rd April. It's sad how it doesn't support flash. Stupid idea, only idiots would buy it.
Hogwarts
Pengeszikra wrote:

The iPad isn't comparable to a TabletPC, because that's like comparing Fisher Price products to General Motors products. One's a toy for immature people, the other's something that's genuinely useful Rolling Eyes

I have a tablet PC, and am currently using it. As oposed to what william thinks, having a 'powerful' tablet PC is ... not really what people want. I want something light I can take around the place, do artwork/etc. on, is relatively small, and which has a long battery life (battery life generally being inversely proportional to the 'power' of the computer. It's a Thinkpad, of course it'll be optimized amazingly already, but chaging CPU would make this drain power waay more than it does now). It does all of that; and is awesome for all things I do work-related. If you want a powerful computer, get a PC. PCs are meant to be powerful, don't depend on battery life, can be as big as you want and generally don't suffer these limitations -- and you can upgrade them and get them cheaper. It's cheaper, and makes more sense, to have a powerful PC and a battery-efficient laptop. I mean, the whole point of a laptop is mobility, after all.
william
Hogwarts wrote:

I have a tablet PC, and am currently using it. As oposed to what william thinks, having a 'powerful' tablet PC is ... not really what people want. I want something light I can take around the place, do artwork/etc. on, is relatively small, and which has a long battery life (battery life generally being inversely proportional to the 'power' of the computer. It's a Thinkpad, of course it'll be optimized amazingly already, but chaging CPU would make this drain power waay more than it does now). It does all of that; and is awesome for all things I do work-related. If you want a powerful computer, get a PC. PCs are meant to be powerful, don't depend on battery life, can be as big as you want and generally don't suffer these limitations -- and you can upgrade them and get them cheaper. It's cheaper, and makes more sense, to have a powerful PC and a battery-efficient laptop. I mean, the whole point of a laptop is mobility, after all.

Well, I understand most people don't need power on the go. I was just trying to say that while I could use a 15" notebook as my main computer, I couldn't use a tablet; and they are rather expensive for what they give me (though, some upcoming netbook sized, Atom powered, tablets have caught my eye). Thing is though, I actually do need a powerful computer on the go, so tablets just don't work for me, especially considering I could get a decent notebook and something like a Viliv S10 for similar prices. But different strokes for different folks. Very Happy

Oh, by the way, against the iPad, tablets are leagues beyond it. The iPad is nothing more than a giant iPod with a couple features added. But it is, all in all, a toy. A tablet, while costing more, is a full fledged computer. So, if someone in the market for a tablet was looking at an iPad, they should stop and take a look at devices like the Archos 9 and the Viliv S10. They run full operating systems, they are the size of a netbook, and they cost about the same as an iPad.
pll
I think that it's not enough developped. But the world is going in the right direction, it develops it with Apps that can be ''touched'' instead of ''pointed''
There's still a lot of work to do
Hogwarts
pll wrote:
I think that it's not enough developped. But the world is going in the right direction, it develops it with Apps that can be ''touched'' instead of ''pointed''
There's still a lot of work to do

You can't write notes particularly well with a finger Rolling Eyes

My tablet has both a passive and active digitizer, meaning it can be used as a touch screen or with a pen. How is it "not enough developped"?
menino
You know, I was wondering the same thing - Why isn't a Tablet more popular than a laptop, for last few years.

I think Apple built a tablet, called Newton a loooong time ago, somewhere in the early 90's but it didnt catch on, maybe because it was quirky to use, because hand recognition wasn't up to speed, and also that it was quite expensive at the time.

Nonetheless, a tablet has more functionality, and ease of use, (once you get used to it).
It isn't that heavy, and its components are much more robust (in quite a few cases).

I think that the laptop is still in the phase of replacing the desktop, and tablets are more expensive at the moment (because of the touch screen hardware and other components).
But a tablet as a gaming machine isnt there yet.

Dell has a touchscreen laptop, but its way too slow to use. Hopefully soon, the tablet will be mainstream, after apple's iPad and Microsoft's version of the tablet - courier, and also I see mobile phones touch screen versions and laptops are merging their technologies into products (well... namely the iPad), but hopefully the Chinese will follow, as with other companies.
Hogwarts
There is more to tablets than touch screens. Look up a company called 'wacom' Confused
snowboardalliance
I personally want a convertible netbook tablet just for note taking in class. I see that as a great use. Plus it's just a bit more portable than my laptop for web browsing/email/office suite stuff, but it's more feature packed than my dumbphone with 3G internet.

As for the iPad, I'd only like one if I wanted an e-reader that lacks the cool e-ink and a large PMP device that I can't put in my pocket but I can watch videos at a larger size. I don't see it as a tablet computer.
driftingfe3s
The HP Slate looks like it could be a good competitor to the iPad. It runs Windows 7 and it has 1.6 Atom processor which is more powerful than the iPpad. Also unlike the iPad it has a built in VGA web camera (inward facing), an outward facing 3MP camera, a USB port, and a SD reader.

Here's a link with the comparison: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/
Pengeszikra
I think TabletPc fault cause the wrong and rare software that made to that platform. From programmers view pen is don't so interesting device, mouse work better than pen, many ways. And windows XP taplet PC version a little bit too slow for example 1.7 Mhz tablet pc.

This computer great advance is the graphics making, but only the ScetchBook Pro is the really graphics program that is made for pen use. Example Photoshop is can use pen. Special CS5 version have improvement in this field. But whole of GUI don't have tablet pc version, where don't need push many button meanwhile use pen.
Pengeszikra
I forget, iPad is coming to user from another view, and whole software is based on help user experience. So i think that platform is can be really successful. Wost part is the drawing on iPad.
I try it, but fare worst precision have than LG-LT20 wacom screen.
So I'm waiting few years of device developing.
ahnguye5
driftingfe3s wrote:
The HP Slate looks like it could be a good competitor to the iPad. It runs Windows 7 and it has 1.6 Atom processor which is more powerful than the iPpad. Also unlike the iPad it has a built in VGA web camera (inward facing), an outward facing 3MP camera, a USB port, and a SD reader.

Yea, HP's gonna have to do some major work on the UI though -- Apple set the bar pretty high for touch interfaces. I'm looking forward to some tablets possibly running WebOS since this is a touch UI that consumers have been exposed to and, personally, I think it's nice.
We've already seen a lot of Android tablets coming out left and right. The problem is most of them have crappy hardware and/or are running an older version of Android. Some of you have probably already heard of the Augen Gentouch 78; it gets credit for running Android 2.1 but it has a resistive touch screen -- no thank you. But for $150 at Kmart, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes in number two behind the iPad due to all the uninformed consumers out there.
I'm liking the Dell Streak right now and it'll be very nice after a firmware update. Although it more properly falls into the category of BAP (see if anyone can guess this acronym).
ahnguye5
Pengeszikra wrote:
I think TabletPc fault cause the wrong and rare software that made to that platform. From programmers view pen is don't so interesting device, mouse work better than pen, many ways. And windows XP taplet PC version a little bit too slow for example 1.7 Mhz tablet pc.

I think convertible-tablet PCs still have a place in the market for those that enjoy using them for note-taking and editing images -- touch tablets can't match a stylus in those areas.
Pengeszikra
As I see the Android is can be successor of tablets, if that device work good as my small android phone with cheap price. Then I think too to buy one android tablet.

This is also means i need to start learning of javascript/HTML5, that is run on every device (android and iPad also).