FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will Google present newer pages on top of older ones ?

gilwe
Let's say a certain string has been appearing on multiple web pages for a few years.

Later on, new appearances of the same search string, were added to some other pages.

Will Google generally present the newer or older appearances first on the search results list for the certain search string ?
Peterssidan
I think google likes new content and values it a bit higher than it deserves to give it a chance. But if the old pages has more links and the rank is better it will not be enough to appear first.
riccopt
Peterssidan wrote:
I think google likes new content and values it a bit higher than it deserves to give it a chance. But if the old pages has more links and the rank is better it will not be enough to appear first.
and if it shows up on top... it will most certainly disappear after a few days (will drop from the top to something like page 3 or 4)...
gilwe
Interesting. I wonder if there's an extensive on-line documentation where one can understand the entire Google ranking scheme... Does Google present it at all ?
dude_xyx
Well if olders page content get updates they get higher rank. Thats what I have noticed.
gcaughill
gilwe wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if there's an extensive on-line documentation where one can understand the entire Google ranking scheme... Does Google present it at all ?

Google does not want you to know their 'entire Google ranking scheme', then it would be easier for people to spam their listings.

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/seo-checklist/

That is as close as I can find to a full and complete listing online. I had posted it to another topic.

Hope that helps.
shkhanal
What I read somewhere a couple of days was the new sites gets fairly more priority compared to the older sites since Google favors fresh content. but if the new site is not updated regularly it drops down to backwards. That means the age of domain name counts but an old domain without update is of no use.
RadekPL
shkhanal wrote:
What I read somewhere a couple of days was the new sites gets fairly more priority compared to the older sites since Google favors fresh content. but if the new site is not updated regularly it drops down to backwards. That means the age of domain name counts but an old domain without update is of no use.

I totally agree that new websites are higher in rank when just submitted, after 'test' period of time Google analyse the bounce rate (eg. how many people clicked that link and then returned to the same search...) to determine their 'accuracy' for specific search terms - if those pages are ok, they will stay at the top - otherwise they are going back few pages (or more).
However, I've got a website which without updates for about couple of years still occupies first page positions in Google (for example 5th in 878,000 results).

When the website has a lot of content (and it's unique - not copied from somewhere else) it's very likely to be at the top regardless of the often updates (if all keywords, titles, links etc are ok obviously).
riccopt
shkhanal wrote:
updating the content or not has little to do with the position you will be getting... it depends a lot more on the terms you are using than on how fresh your content is...
sometimes a new page doesn't show up on google, but it is on 1st place on YAHOO or MSN (live search)...
sometimes less is more... but most times it is less!!