FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google doesn't refresh the cache for an updated page...

gilwe
Can someone please explain the following ?

When I used to search for a certain string on Google,
the first top result always linked to a page where the name clearly appeared.

A few months later, the string has been deleted from the linked page,
but still, the secondary link under the top result, will still link to that page.

I thought once you update a page and a certain string is removed,
Google is no longer supposed to load a link to that page when the specific link is being searched for...

Or should any other step be taken in order to let Google "know" about it ?
gilwe
Anyone ?
Diablosblizz
... ever take in consideration that theres millions, no probably billions, of websites on the internet? Let's see you update that many pages in a few months.
SonLight
as Diablosblizz suggested, there is often a substantial delay between a page update and when google gets around to re-indexing the page. The less changes you make to your site, the less frequently google is likely to visit.

I believe google does have a "submit page" function, although I couldn't find it for you quickly. Most of the time thier scheduled re-indexing is sufficient to get reasonable results, and asking them for a special update doesn't cause it to happen immediately, anyway.

I suggest you look at the search hit that you think is no longer valid. If you ask it to show you the cached page, you can see what date it was cached on, and see if the string is still present. You may find that the string is gone, and it says something like <string> is not found on this page but only in links to this page. If that's the case, other pages may have used the string to refer to your page. Those links are now out of date. In extreme cases, you might want to find out why it included the string in the link, and ask the webmaster of that site to change it. The link that points to your page could be an out of date cached page, the string may have been used in the link text, or the string may have been used in the url.

Search engine page anslysis is complex, so there is probably no one who understands all the possibilities.
gilwe
Hi,

I guess I was not too clear when describing the situation.

The string is a person's name, and therefore it contains two words (first name and a last name).

When Googling the name, the top result links to a page where the full name appears.

The sub link of the top result links to a page where only the first name appears (no last name).
The same link USED to have both the first and last name appearing, but the last name has been deleted from it at some point. The link itself is a forum thread.

Both links are of the same domain (website), in which there are multiple pages in which the full name appears.

My question is - how come Google still shows the sub result, which only has the full name appearing in it, while there are other pages under the same domain which have the *FIRST* name (search string) appearing ? Doesn't it suppose to ignore the specific sub link in that case ??

Thanks again !
SonLight
gilwe wrote:
Hi,

I guess I was not too clear when describing the situation.

The string is a person's name, and therefore it contains two words (first name and a last name).

When Googling the name, the top result links to a page where the full name appears.

The sub link of the top results links to a page where only the first name appears (no last name).
The same link USED to have both the first and last name appearing, but the last name has been deleted from it at some point. The link itself is a forum thread.

Both links are of the same domain (website), in which there are multiple pages in which the full name appears.

My question is - how come Google still shows the sub result, which only has the full name appearing in it, while there are other pages under the same domain which have the full name (search string) appearing ? Doesn't it suppose to ignore the specific sub link in that case ??\

Thanks again !

You were clear enough. What I said about caching applies, but it is unlikely that another site has linked to the page that has changed if it is on a forum. I am assuming the two pages are separate posts in the same forum thread. It is possible that google associates the full name with the second page because the first page links to the second and has the full name, but I doubt it.

I definitely recommend looking at both cached pages, to see what google says about the cached version of the page which used to have the full name, and to see if the first page links to the second in some way.

Since you may not want to post links containing a name here, I will have to leave it as an exercise for you to find the google "links to" feature on the advanced search page. If you find out something interesting about how the search associates pages, please do post again about it. Some of the Google search algorithms are very obscure.
gilwe
Thanks !

The top link's cache is from toady, while the sub link (which features only the FIRST name, btw) is from March....

Here's what Google says about the version of the cached page:

This is Google's cache of <WEB PAGE LINK> It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 27 Mar 2009 22:10:59 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime.
gilwe
The cached version by the way, is similar to the current look of the page...

Also, there's no link in that page to any page which shows the full name. It looks as if Google "remembers" that the specific page used to have the full string appearing in it, and therefore chose to show that particular page rather than other pages which *currently* shows the full string...

Any explanation of why it would behave like this ?
Is there any way it can be controlled ? Like posting a link with full string to Google, or linking to the pages which I want them to be the sub links in the top result, from other web sites ?
gcaughill
gilwe wrote:

but still, the secondary link under the top result, will still link to that page.

Google is no longer supposed to load a link to that page when the specific link is being searched for...

Can you provide the text for the sites that should be and what it actually is. That might get more responses. Easier to help you that way.
distantship
I would suggest you to social bookmaking the page that you want to cache by google especially top social bookmaking site like digg and delicious, the more the better, also, creating a site map would also help google to find your page. Third option is to find some high rank website to link to your page, since google index high rank website more frequently than the lower ones, google would soon find your page if you suddenly have a few links on those websites, (of course that's not easy or you may need to pay for the links, but it is certainly the fastest way to get indexed by google in my experience) Hope that helps!
gilwe
Thanks all for your responses.
esiportal
gilwe wrote:

Let use Google Webmaster Tool and then choose Remove Cache function from Google servers. It will take at least 3-5 business days. Cached Broken links which appear inside Google search results will removed automatically from Google servers after 90 days
Chinmoy
why not try bing? it's cache is much more updated than google's.