FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Object Oriented language for developing GUI apps?

Helios
I'm searching for the best possible option for developing an application with a graphical interface.
So far I've checked out Object Pascal (CodeGear RAD 2009) and C# (Visual Studio), and both seem good. Do I have better options? If not, which is the best choice between these two?

Note: I need hardware access solutions, USB in particular.
coreymanshack
Helios wrote:
I'm searching for the best possible option for developing an application with a graphical interface.
So far I've checked out Object Pascal (CodeGear RAD 2009) and C# (Visual Studio), and both seem good. Do I have better options? If not, which is the best choice between these two?

Note: I need hardware access solutions, USB in particular.

Java?
pumpin
Yes java is actually envisage to be the best so far but the commands are not easy to remember. I'll advice you go on with your C#(Visual studio), it's quite interested and the Microsoft intellisense actually makes coding easier as you easily know when your code is going bad Wink
AftershockVibe
pumpin wrote:
Yes java is actually envisage to be the best so far but the commands are not easy to remember. I'll advice you go on with your C#(Visual studio), it's quite interested and the Microsoft intellisense actually makes coding easier as you easily know when your code is going bad Wink

See: Eclipse. Or even Netbeans.
Rolling Eyes

Netbeans has a GUI editor build in by default. You can download one for eclipse.
Helios
I'm not touching Java. Just because it will take longer for me to study it and later deal with the coding. I don't have unlimited time.
Fire Boar
For developing Windows-only apps, C#(.NET) or Java are both great choices, depending on which you know. If you want to develop cross-platform, Java again is a great choice, but I also really like Qt, which is a set of libraries for C++ (and potentially some other languages if you like) used for creating true cross-platform GUI apps. That's "true" as in "works on everything from an IPod to a toaster".
coreymanshack
Helios wrote:
I'm not touching Java. Just because it will take longer for me to study it and later deal with the coding. I don't have unlimited time.

What are you talking about "take longer for you to study"? Did you not say.. "I'm searching for the best possible option for developing an application with a graphical interface." What is so difficult about Java? Do you already know some languages?
Helios
I do, but they aren't useful for my new task. I'm usually not programming for the PC.
I'm afraid that Java and GUI coding with Java will take me a lot of time to figure out.
I wish I had enough time to dive into Java, because it's a great language, but I just can't.
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the factor of time in my original question.

From the past I remember that Java is quite hard. Of course I can be wrong here, very wrong, due to lack of experience.
If you think though that Java is the best option for my task here, explain why please Smile

I have some background in Python, and I heard Python 3 is out with some new stuff.
Maybe that's a reasonable option. Lack of GUI development software (drag and place) in Python scares me a little though.
HamsterMan
Altough I bet a lot of people wouldn't agree, I think Turbo Delphi (pascal) is a great program to create GUI based applications with. It can be downloaded for free. And pascal is a really easy language to learn. It makes a great teaching language and despite what anyone says, it's not inefficient or slow or not for "serious coders".
Helios
Yeah, Hamster, I also have CodeGear RAD 2009 Wink
So I have the proper studio for Object Pascal. On the other hand I also have Visual Studio 9...

Anyway, waiting for more replies Smile
Jamestf347
Or you could code your own GUI interface in c++ with any editor, err Dev C++ adds the code for you.
Helios
I could use C++, but development time is much longer with it.
Jamestf347
True but in terms ... it sells better because of the time you put into it... And it can be easier customized for the user.
coreymanshack
Helios wrote:
I do, but they aren't useful for my new task. I'm usually not programming for the PC.
I'm afraid that Java and GUI coding with Java will take me a lot of time to figure out.
I wish I had enough time to dive into Java, because it's a great language, but I just can't.
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the factor of time in my original question.

From the past I remember that Java is quite hard. Of course I can be wrong here, very wrong, due to lack of experience.
If you think though that Java is the best option for my task here, explain why please Smile

I have some background in Python, and I heard Python 3 is out with some new stuff.
Maybe that's a reasonable option. Lack of GUI development software (drag and place) in Python scares me a little though.

Oh, Java wasn't so hard to me, I moved from php straight to java, i asked questions on the official java irc channel and people where always there to help me out. i got the book sams teach yourself java in 24 days.. I didn't really read the whole thing because it isn't all needed to create an app like you want. java is object oriented therefore if you are used to using objects you will have no problem with java, everything is done with objects and java has tons of predefined objects that come already made from the java team.