FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About copyrighted material

Da Rossa
Hi
I'd like to know if, in here, it is considered copyrighted material some handwritten document in which the author is identified, but neither the document nor the content itself has been offically registered, in my country or at the States, where the Frih servers are located.

Thanks!
Bondings
Yes normally it is copyrighted. So unless you have permission from the author, this is not allowed.
Da Rossa
Bondings wrote:
Yes normally it is copyrighted. So unless you have permission from the author, this is not allowed.

So you're saying it's automatically protected as of the publication of the material with the author's name?

What I'm talking about is an past test/exam in a law school answered by a student that got the top mark. Somehow I got a copy of his test from the last semester. Has this to be avoided at all or only when s/he makes a complaint?

I know nothing about Illinois or the US Federal law, I'm only aware of the brazilian law.
Bondings
Da Rossa wrote:
Bondings wrote:

So you're saying it's automatically protected as of the publication of the material with the author's name?

What I'm talking about is an past test/exam in a law school answered by a student that got the top mark. Somehow I got a copy of his test from the last semester. Has this to be avoided at all or only when s/he makes a complaint?

I know nothing about Illinois or the US Federal law, I'm only aware of the brazilian law.

You do not have to register anything to get a copyright, not even wite "copyright by" beneath it. Even mentioning your name is not required. This is the same for most of the world, most likely for Brazil too.

The reason why there is such a thing as registering a copyright, is to make it easier to prove that you are the author.

Now about the case, I wouldn't like to have my exam posted on the internet, especially not with my name on it. Secondly, I'm not sure if your university/college/school would approve this. They probably own the copyright to the questions. At least I remember getting an exam with strict warnings on it regarding copying.
Da Rossa
Bondings wrote:

You do not have to register anything to get a copyright, not even wite "copyright by" beneath it. Even mentioning your name is not required. This is the same for most of the world, most likely for Brazil too.

The reason why there is such a thing as registering a copyright, is to make it easier to prove that you are the author.

Now about the case, I wouldn't like to have my exam posted on the internet, especially not with my name on it. Secondly, I'm not sure if your university/college/school would approve this. They probably own the copyright to the questions. At least I remember getting an exam with strict warnings on it regarding copying.

No, don't worry about this, trust me: this is even about cultural differences. In Brazil people don't take it with 1% of the seriousness you take in the US, our values are veeeery different (unfortunately, I wish the Brazilian had the American's values about taking things seriously). The college won't give a damn because the teachers themselves do it at their own will. Even though they wouldn't have control on people that post in e-mail lists, the only difference is that I do it publicaly.

About this concrete case, the girl complained about having her name made public , not the opposite. She feared that the teacher would go after her because they're friends and she took it as an "agression to trust".

Edit: now it got it right, I thought you said "specially with my name not on it" Razz
Bondings
What about putting a black line/box over the name to make it invisible?
Da Rossa
Bondings wrote:
What about putting a black line/box over the name to make it invisible?

Already did, like in http://www.darossa.frih.net/dir/imagens/dct2-a---2008-2.jpg
As you can see, there is a field named "Aluno(a)". means "student's name". I put a IrFanView explosion effect. The problem is that she was the only person who got the "SS" mark, which is equivalent to "A+" in your system. That made the teacher notice her for her skill and then they became friends. So, even if I 'explode' the "SS" mark too, the people will see that she got all questions right, so that means she got the SS. (for "Superior").

On the other hand, my site is educational and people take a LOT of benefit of it. Nothing is moneymaking although it takes me 12 hours/day to mantain it. By publishing her exam, I'm giving my classmates a directive of the kind of exam that teacher uses, so we can study better.

However, she threatened me saying that what I did was a felony, but I, being a polite man, didn't start laughing at her face. I could even tell her to do it: file a lawsuit against me. But I won't encourage her unless I'm certain that there will be no backfire @ Frih or you Mr. Bondings. Backfire I mean in a broad way: you ending up having to manually delete my files, change my files' permissions, or even having to explain that you have nothing to do with it. But one thing I'd like a looooot to know: which one would be the competent court in Chicago (?), of which jurisdiction covers the location of the servers, so I can point her to! Very Happy

p.s.: sorry if this is going or has already gone too far. I apologise if that's the case.
rvec
just don't put the file online. It's not only that you and frihost might get trouble (probably none will), but "being a polite man". You just shouldn't copy stuff from individuals if they really don't want you to. Besides, Bondings will probably even remove the file and close your hosting if he gets one fancy letter (I'd do the same thing).

You could ask her if you're allowed to type the questions (not the answers 'cause she doesn't own that copyright) and put those on your website (without any name or mark). If all else fails you could just make a "compilation" of all good parts from other people's tests.
Da Rossa
The problem is that, in Brazil, the interested ones like to send bogus "fancy" letters to individuals they want to be considered criminals or whatsoever just to make them scared. REcently they've targeted ISPs that host blogs and other sites with legitimate content that happened to bother someone. None of what I'm doing is illegal, maybe immoral in one's mind, but all according to the law. I have full support of my class in this project. Even teachers said that, if I carry this on, I'd be on path to victory in the board exam.

Besides, I believe that, if this particular thing is illegal in the US, this only would be triggered if the interested part complains, but not "ex officio".
Bondings
What about using an image host for the image instead of Frihost?
Da Rossa
Bondings wrote:

Good! I'll even try some providers in the East. Can you recommend me a good one?
Edit: No, wait.. can't Frih be implicated even if the image is not host in its servers, but for the page containing such thing, or for linking? I mean, what about a regular site hosted in here that hosts a pedo image outside but displays in here? It'd be a lot of trouble, right?
Bondings
Da Rossa wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Good! I'll even try some providers in the East. Can you recommend me a good one?
Edit: No, wait.. can't Frih be implicated even if the image is not host in its servers, but for the page containing such thing, or for linking? I mean, what about a regular site hosted in here that hosts a pedo image outside but displays in here? It'd be a lot of trouble, right?

In all cases it would mean trouble, just less if it's only linked. So to be honest I wouldn't like you to host it on frihost.
Da Rossa
Bondings wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Bondings wrote:

In all cases it would mean trouble, just less if it's only linked. So to be honest I wouldn't like you to host it on frihost.

Then will do at your will. I'm removing the exam images from the server right now. I'll upload to a Stockholm image host and will link the image to there. Thanks for the advice Bondings.

Just one more thing that I'd like to ask you Bonds: why do you hesitate asking me what you'd like? Specially when it's about a small thing like removing a photo! Feel free! Smile
tennisniper
I want to thank you all for this entire discussion. It was extremely educational as far as what material is copyrighted, making me feel more comfortable uploading my unique work. In addition, it was a great discussion regarding the limits of what is acceptable online to each group, subscribers, the hosting company, and possibly an antagonist. Great discussion, I'm glad it was posted!