FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old HD but all other is new to HD

titus1972
i recently fried my motherboard, i say i but i mean my electric company or sumit
like that as i got a surge, so my PC was unusable. my Insurance company kindly paid
out for a new laptop.

The Problem

so i have a HD with Vista, which is working i have therefore decided to install it
on a new tower unit made up from various bits and bobs that i have lying around,
now to no great surprise this did not start due to the hardware changes.

so my question is how can i get around this problem?

i did think about starting up off Ubuntu or installing XP and and booting into it
and then trying to doctor the files in Vista HD, but not really sure what butchering
needs to be done.

any other ideas or thoughs would be great.
Donutey
I've somehow resurrected XP switching to different hardware twice, but I think it was largely by chance. Ideally, you would be able to prepare for the switch beforehand by removing the drivers for hardware you are no longer using so it doesn't interfere with the startup. However, that's not really an option for your case...

I might try removing as much non-essential hardware as possible from your new system and then trying to start it up. I believe another option might be to use the original vista CD to fix the install (never done this, I've only seen it as an option in the XP install disk, not sure it would help in this case).

Finally, you could install Vista on a different hard drive and then rescue all your old files from the existing Vista install, as you suggested.

Good luck. Rolling Eyes
Daniel15
Quote:
i did think about starting up off Ubuntu or installing XP and and booting into it
and then trying to doctor the files in Vista HD, but not really sure what butchering
needs to be done.

Do you just want to get the files off the Vista hard drive, or do you want to make it bootable? If you just want the files, you can install a new OS (XP, Vista, Ubuntu, whatever) onto another hard drive (ie. have the Vista HD and a different HD in the one computer, and install an OS onto the different HD). After you install and when you boot the new OS, the Vista drive will appear as another drive on the computer. You can then access all your files from it, copy them onto the other hard drive, whatever.

You can copy the files onto a different hard drive, then format that hard drive (to get rid of all the Vista junk), and you'll have an empty hard drive ready to use again Smile