FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"annoying" pop up when I start windows

titus1972
I have had this problem for a couple of weeks now and want to see if you guys might have a solution. When I start up windows I get this annoying pop up that says "Updater.exe can not be found". Usually I just x it out or 'cancel'. How do I get rid of this? It only shows up when I start/re-start my Laptop.
jessicawalker
You might find this helpful: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/1496a5ba-0538-46db-be93-a1ad36bc9cd5
hunnyhiteshseth
Althoug above will remove the malware u have. But sometimes even after removing the malware the error message may still apear.

In that case do as following:

1) Click on start --> run

2) type 'msconfig' and press enter

3)click on startup tab

4) look for a entry of 'updater.exe' and uncheck it

5) click ok and then restart the pc.
JBotAlan
You really should get a reputable antivirus package. Norton does NOT qualify. If you have Norton, you really should replace it because it is not protecting you. All it does is slow your system and lull you into a false sense of security.

AVG Free is one that I've used for a long time. Recently it has become more resource intensive, but it still does a good job. It is free for personal use. It is at http://free.avg.com/. Make sure you pick the free one, LOL. It is a stripped-down version of Grisoft's paid software, and it has a nag screen in the Control Center, but it has been doing a good job.

If you want a tiny, resource-efficient scanner, you can use ClamAV. It is at http://www.clamwin.com/. The catch here is that it does not scan files on-access, meaning when you open a file, it doesn't check the file's contents before allowing the requesting program to read it. This shouldn't be a problem if you have it automatically updating and scanning routinely.

Also, regularly run Windows Updates (http://update.microsoft.com/) and don't use Internet Explorer. Mozilla Firefox is proven more secure.

Or you could switch to Ubuntu...
Diablosblizz
AVG is worse than Norton. End of story.

This seems to sound in relation to your Vista SP2 error that you've been having, perhaps you running that batch file wasn't such a smart idea. Microsoft update programs usually have the program abbreviation before them, such as msoupdate.exe (Microsoft Office). I agree with JBotAlan, get something other than AVG (in my opinion) or Norton. I'd go with Avast, it's free and does the job real well.

If you're a computer expert, you could use Comodo.
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:

It really, really isn't. AVG isn't very good any more, but it's still far FAR better than Norton, by a long way. But yeah, don't get either.
hunnyhiteshseth
Fire Boar wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

It really, really isn't. AVG isn't very good any more, but it's still far FAR better than Norton, by a long way. But yeah, don't get either.

To add a bit of my suggestion here: leave both of them and go for www.avast.com
ddukki
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Althoug above will remove the malware u have. But sometimes even after removing the malware the error message may still apear.

In that case do as following:

1) Click on start --> run

2) type 'msconfig' and press enter

3)click on startup tab

4) look for a entry of 'updater.exe' and uncheck it

5) click ok and then restart the pc.
I second this suggestion. A program that you uninstalled recently might have left behind an updater in the start-up registry. I use CCleaner [Crap Cleaner] to remove registry errors, but the above sequence will pretty much solve the issue.
ProfessorY91
hunnyhiteshseth basically said it all.

One thing though, make sure you check your Startup folder for any residual programs that may have embedded themselves in your PC. Some of these things may or may not show up using the 'msconfig' (Startup Config Utility).

Y.