FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did Obama Bow?

Did Obama bow?
Yes, and he's lying about it for some reason
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
No, his explanation is plausible
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

jmi256
Now I don't have a real strong position on whether a US president bowing to a foreign monarch is appropriate or not, and I can understand both arguments. What I don't understand is Obama's insistence that he didn't bow when the video clearly exposes that he is lying.

See the video here:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0409/White_House_No_bow_to_Saudi.html

What do you think?

Quote:

White House: No bow to Saudi

The White House is denying that the president bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at a G-20 meeting in London, a scene that drew criticism on the right and praise from some Arab outlets.

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The Washington Times called the alleged bow a "shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate" and said it violated centuries of American tradition of not deferring to royalty. The Weekly Standard, meanwhile, noted that American protocol apparently rules out bowing, or at least it reportedly did on the occasion of a Clinton "near-bow" to the emperor of Japan.

Interestingly, a columnist in the Saudi-backed Arabic paper Asharq Alawsat also took the gesture as a bow and appreciated the move.

"Obama wished to demonstrate his respect and appreciation of the personality of King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz, who has made one of the most important calls in the modern era, namely the call for inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue to defuse the hatred, conflict and wars," wrote the columnist, Muhammah Diyab.

The video shows Obama dipping toward the king as G-20 leaders greet one another at the ExCel Centre in London.

Source = http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0409/White_House_No_bow_to_Saudi.html
liljp617
Our country is currently in the process of falling apart.

Anyone who gives a damn about bowing or not bowing or lying about bowing is clearly a little off the path.

I think that is the important thing to recognize.
jmi256
liljp617 wrote:

Anyone who gives a damn about bowing or not bowing or lying about bowing is clearly a little off the path.

So are saying we shouldn't wonder why he insists on lying about it? Are you going to use that excuse every time some one questions Obama?

I agree that Obama is tearing our country apart. But I'm just wondering why he insists on lying about something that is as clear as a bell.

Aren't you at least interested?

liljp617
If what the supposed lie was about had any relevance what so ever to anything outside of grasping for negative things to point out, sure I'd be interested.

It doesn't. It's merely a topic to start random arguments over and divert attention away from things that matter.

I apologize for being a "zombie" because I don't give a flying shit about bowing or somebody lying about bowing. It has zero relevance to anything significant. If you want to jump on unfounded paths like that of "if he will lie about something this minuscule, what else will he lie about," that's your own twisted logic you'll have to deal with. I can't settle that for you.

And clearly I didn't imply a single man was tearing our country apart. The country has been on a downward spiral for more than a couple months, in case you didn't notice. At least somebody felt it necessary to recognize and bring attention to.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:

That was my spontaneous response too. But then there is something like foreign protocol, and Obama needs to brush up on this. Especially since it would appear that he wishes relationships with the Middle East to be much better than what they used to be with Bush. Bush made enormous and countless goofs and that played a great role in the negative sentiment towards him in the Middle East. Obama has just made a goof, and nothing wrong with it as it of course happens to the best of people. He seems to be an extroverted kind of person and possibly really wanted to impress the King, but possibly this oops came at a foreign protocol price.

And yes, lying is probably not a good investment in the "trust" department. If he can lie about something like this, he probably can lie about many other things too.
Nick2008
The government always lies, so who cares? The government has every right to lie and keep us uninformed.

Why do we make such big deals of small body movements? It's not like he fired an ICBM.

It's not Obama that's lying, the white house is. The conservatives and republicans brought it up, because they have nothing better to bring to the table... all they can do is criticize obama for every small detail that's completely irrelevant to today's situation.

No protocol says he can't bow and that it's a disgrace to our nation. He's simply showing respect and kindness to the king of the nation he hopes will remain a strong ally in the years to come.

We have a more important situation and crisis now, then whether or not a person bowed.
liljp617
Nick2008 wrote:
The government always lies, so who cares? The government has every right to lie and keep us uninformed.

Not on issues that make a difference in our lives.
Nick2008
liljp617 wrote:

And whether or not the president bowed is definitely not one of those issues.
liljp617
Nick2008 wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

And whether or not the president bowed is definitely not one of those issues.

I agree, as I've tried to say more than once in this thread.

Unfortunately, some people are bored and think things like this and not wearing flag lapel pins are significant.
ocalhoun
Nick2008 wrote:

Rolling Eyes
So much for transparency...
liljp617
Yeah, no other Presidential candidate ever made false promises to get elected -.-
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
It's not Obama that's lying, the white house is.
Think that is a bit of a cop-out. In the final analysis Obama is supposed to be Chief in Charge. Which means he has ultimately got to take responsibility for everything that comes out of the White House, whether he likes it or not, the statement was made during his watch. Smile
Xanatos
I'm just going to say what is on everyones mind here....
What would everyone be saying if Bush had done this? Probably not the same thing.

Food for thought.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
What would everyone be saying if Bush had done this? Probably not the same thing.

Food for thought.
Well, to play a bit of Devil's Advocate here, I just can't imagine Bush bowing to anyone. Smile
Xanatos
deanhills wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Food for thought.
Well, to play a bit of Devil's Advocate here, I just can't imagine Bush bowing to anyone. Smile

Hehe good one.

Actually too good I can't think of a good reply hehe.
Nick2008
Well, he might not bow... but he definitely had great reflexes during a shoe attack!
handfleisch
Xanatos wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Food for thought.

Hehe good one.

Actually too good I can't think of a good reply hehe.

LOL, don't either of you know that Bush kissed and walked around around holding hands with the Saudi King? It was like a date ferkrisakes

CNN report on Obama bow vs. Bush kiss www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJL1hKYjmg

(But mostly, what liljp617 said.)
Bikerman
Obama bowed to the Saudi King probably because he forgot that it was public, not private - where just about every US president bows to them (metaphorically at least).
It is no big deal.
A matter of much more importance was the scandal of his wife putting her arm around our blessed Britannic Majesty. What nerve, what impudence. How dare these colonials lay hands on their rightful monarch! When my fleet gets to the US, matters will be put right!
Smile
Klaw 2
Bikerman wrote:
Obama bowed to the Saudi King probably because he forgot that it was public, not private - where just about every US president bows to them (metaphorically at least).
It is no big deal.
A matter of much more importance was the scandal of his wife putting her arm around our blessed Britannic Majesty. What nerve, what impudence. How dare these colonials lay hands on their rightful monarch! When my fleet gets to the US, matters will be put right!
Smile

Yup you can't do it right can you? You abide some protocol it is wrong and when you don't it's also wrong.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
When my fleet gets to the US, matters will be put right!
Smile

Done recruiting Somali 'privateers' yet?
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Smile
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wonder what her Britannic Majesty thought about this, being as undemonstrative as she usually is? I can't recall Charles even putting his arm around her shoulder in public. Laughing
dickyzin
I don't see anything wrong with bowing. It's to show respect to the other person. People bow at each other in Japan and other Asian countries to show respect. I think Obama bowing shows his good etiquette and manners. I respect Obama more for his bowing and other people should follow his example. There is also nothing wrong with bowing to your enemy. So the media is just making a big fuss about this (as expected) so they have something to talk about. There are more important issues out there to worry about and discuss.
jmi256
dickyzin wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with bowing. It's to show respect to the other person. People bow at each other in Japan and other Asian countries to show respect. I think Obama bowing shows his good etiquette and manners. I respect Obama more for his bowing and other people should follow his example. There is also nothing wrong with bowing to your enemy. So the media is just making a big fuss about this (as expected) so they have something to talk about. There are more important issues out there to worry about and discuss.

Yeah, I also don't see the big issue with bowing. I agree it's a sign of respect and I really don't understand all the protocol issues surrounding whether a bow is appropriate from a US president or not. I guess what I have an issue with is Obama's blatant lying about the bow. If he bowed, just say he bowed. Instead he claims he didn't when the video clearly shows he did.
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
When my fleet gets to the US, matters will be put right!
Smile

Done recruiting Somali 'privateers' yet?
No. The British only ever really controlled the North of Somalia. Somalia was an Italian 'protectorate' so this is a actually one conflict that can't be laid at our door historically Smile
deanhills
dickyzin wrote:
Perhaps bowing is the right etiquette in Japan, this is not really the case in the Middle East. Holding hands is also not correct.
dickyzin
jmi256 wrote:

Yeah, I also don't see the big issue with bowing. I agree it's a sign of respect and I really don't understand all the protocol issues surrounding whether a bow is appropriate from a US president or not. I guess what I have an issue with is Obama's blatant lying about the bow. If he bowed, just say he bowed. Instead he claims he didn't when the video clearly shows he did.

Maybe Obama wants to redefine the meaning of bowing. Maybe according to his dictionary, it is only bowing when one bends more than a certain degree. Wink
Just like how Bill Clinton's defines sexual relationship.
deanhills
dickyzin wrote:
Maybe Obama wants to redefine the meaning of bowing. Maybe according to his dictionary, it is only bowing when one bends more than a certain degree. Wink
Maybe like they did in the old days in China in Ghengis Khan days? Good exercise! Smile
handfleisch
dickyzin wrote:

Just like how Bill Clinton's defines sexual relationship.

OMG the Bowgate scandal continues. Let's start the impeachment immediately! Combined with Telepromptergate, I don't know how the USA keeps from collapsing.

If only we could go back to the good old days, when the White House was only involved in meaningless scandals like creating torture camps, invading countries for lying reasons and spending 3 trillion dollar and killing hundreds of thousands doing it, and failing to respond to national emergencies while people died.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:

OMG the Bowgate scandal continues.
Think this thread was more about the lying, than the bowing. If you can lie about something as trivial as bowing, then how does that preclude you from lying about all the big things as well? Also remember, a lie is not only a falsehood, but it is also consists of those parts that have been withheld. All politicians are liars by default. Obama is a politician in the first place.
Octo
He did bow, I thought I saw where he aditted himself to bowing.
Bannik
the problem here isnt that obama is bowing or lying its the fact that it matters too the American public..

seriously why the frag does it matter if obama is bowing or not too some Saudi royalty... what if it was japan? what would he be forbidden too bow... (that's how they great each other traditionally).

I find it funny how when bush was in power everyone was saying "we need to be more understanding, stop all this trivial incidences, RESPECT OTHER CULTURES " BLAH BLAH BLAH and now its "we need to be patriotic etc" its like all the republicans have come out of hiding and are now using the media and the net (there is more of them everyone, like fragging rabbits i tell you) too spread propaganda...

the American public is getting dumber they need too get their heads of their asses and start too realize that these little incidents don't actually matter in the long run.
ocalhoun
Bannik wrote:
the problem here isnt that obama is bowing or lying its the fact that it matters too the American public..

Yeah, because the American public shouldn't care at all when their elected officials blatantly lie to them, right?

I guess honesty is WAY too much to ask from any politician these days.
jmi256
Bannik wrote:
the American public is getting dumber they need too get their heads of their asses...

Yeah, just look at the character they elected to the highest office in the land. If you saying we are getting dumber, the natural progression of that argument is that those who elected Obama are dumber than those who elected Bush.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
Bannik wrote:
the American public is getting dumber they need too get their heads of their asses...

Yeah, just look at the character they elected to the highest office in the land. If you saying we are getting dumber, the natural progression of that argument is that those who elected Obama are dumber than those who elected Bush.
Well said!

On the other hand possibly quite a large percentage of those who elected Obama, elected him along the lines of really "hating" Bush. And hoping that Obama would make a difference. Perhaps they now realize that Obama is "learning on the job" and his lack of experience showing. Greatest worry is his spending and lack of control over finances. I don't know who his real advisors are, but something is not working right in that Department.
Bannik
Quote:

Well said![/quote]

yes exactly....Obama was a dumb choice...I don't care what ANYONE says Obama winning was a lot too do with him being black....don't deny it, don't argue it....

and that's a dumb choice...

as soon as he was candidate i knew he was going too win.....i am not saying he is a BAD choice (for the time america needed too look better in the public of the world) all i am saying is there were much MUCH better choices...

RON PAUL is the right choice cause at least everything he said made sense.

Quote:

On the other hand possibly quite a large percentage of those who elected Obama, elected him along the lines of really "hating" Bush. And hoping that Obama would make a difference. Perhaps they now realize that Obama is "learning on the job" and his lack of experience showing. Greatest worry is his spending and lack of control over finances. I don't know who his real advisors are, but something is not working right in that Department.

that's what I mean, they were all into the Obama hype....he is good but still young and there are much better options...

Seriously though OBAMA, colin powell would have been a much better choice
liljp617
Are you trolling?

Obama was not even in the picture when he announced his candidacy.

Everything Ron Paul said makes sense? lol...he was a nice dude, but most of what he said was naive and unrealistic.
deanhills
This thread had a different subject, i.e. whether Obama had lied about bowing. That's ancient history now. Bannik, perhaps you want to start a new thread? Suggestion for title: "Was Obama a good choice?" Or words to that effect Smile