FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why has Obama failed to act on pirate hostage situation?

jmi256
This hostage situation has been going on for days now and Obama has failed to take any action. Piracy has been a growing problem and now that the world knows we have a US president who will not act when the US is provoked they will only grow bolder. So far they have attacked an American ship, took an American hostage and have fired upon a US military ship, and Obama still is sitting on his thumbs. What's his problem?

Quote:

Obama On Pirates: Declines To Answer Question

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has declined to answer a question about the hostage situation off the coast of Somalia.

The president was asked about the incident as he met with U.S. homeowners about refinancing mortgages. At the close of a Roosevelt Room event, the president was asked by a reporter if he were concerned about the piracy incident.

Obama responded: "Guys, we're talking about housing right now."

Reporters were then ushered out of the room as they usually are after such events.

Obama has yet to comment publicly on the incident.

Source = http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/09/obama-on-pirates-declines_n_185111.html

Hogwarts
Are you sure he's not acting on the hostage situation? How do you know that he's simply not telling people?
Nick2008
What can he do? There's already US naval presence off the coast of Somali. He's not just going to fly there and capture the pirates himself, is he?
jmi256
Nick2008 wrote:
What can he do? There's already US naval presence off the coast of Somali. He's not just going to fly there and capture the pirates himself, is he?

Of course not, but doing nothing and refusing to even address the situation isn't acceptable. Are we going to have another Carter on our hands? Will he just sit by as America's enemies smack him around like a little girl? I guess that's the change he's bringing.

How about letting the SEALS take the pirates out? They can come up under raft and quickly remove the pirates.

How about pulling the warship that has been sitting there since Thursday next to the raft the pirates are on and letting the US Marine snipers pick off the pirates? They are excellent snipers and could easily coordinate an attack.

How about a full frontal assault? We have the firepower.

How about they flank them as they distract the pirates? It's quite possible.

The military members at the scene could pursue a host of scenarios if he would just give the command to make it happen. But instead he's doing nothing and refusing to even talk about the situation.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Of course not, but doing nothing and refusing to even address the situation isn't acceptable. Are we going to have another Carter on our hands? Will he just sit by as America's enemies smack him around like a little girl? I guess that's the change he's bringing.

How about letting the SEALS take the pirates out? They can come up under raft and quickly remove the pirates.

How about pulling the warship that has been sitting there since Thursday next to the raft the pirates are on and letting the US Marine snipers pick off the pirates? They are excellent snipers and could easily coordinate an attack.

How about a full frontal assault? We have the firepower.

How about they flank them as they distract the pirates? It's quite possible.

The military members at the scene could pursue a host of scenarios if he would just give the command to make it happen. But instead he's doing nothing and refusing to even talk about the situation.
Agreed. If Obama can present the US nuclear policy on foreign soil in Prague, in the detail that he did, as well as on a number of issues that fall under other Departments of the Federal Government, then obviously he can take up a position on the pirate situation as well. At least he can make a case out of a "yes-we-can" Captain. Rolling Eyes I am really sorry no one is doing more to help, and I guess the longer this goes on, the more difficult it is going to save this guy.

Awesome logo by the way .... Shocked Laughing
jmi256
deanhills wrote:

Awesome logo by the way .... Shocked Laughing

I can't take credit for the logo. I found it on a Democratic site where they were selling Obama paraphernalia (stickers, t-shirts, etc.) running up to the election. Pretty ironic I guess.

http://www.democraticstuff.com/Pirates-for-Obama-Photo-Button-p/bt24449.htm
Nick2008
Yes, he should address the issue, but the only thing they're afraid of is the hostage. If we attack, the pirates will kill the captain, I mean, the navy would've moved in by now... but because it's a hostage situation, different regulations apply.
Solon_Poledourus
Perhaps we should start rounding up Somalis' and detaining them in GITMO. Ok, that was a cheapshot(sorry deanhills).
Anyway, he should say something. Piracy is a growing problem, and too many people have lost their lives to these aqua-thugs. I say they should pay the ransom, get the Captain back, then put a cruise missile through the hull of that boat.
Or just kick 'em in the face.
liljp617
Suppose you're still unsatisfied.

Now the issue is "never mind the captain is alive and safe, it took too long. Obama should have took a ship down there and made the rescue himself."
jmi256
liljp617 wrote:
Suppose you're still unsatisfied.

Now the issue is "never mind the captain is alive and safe, it took too long. Obama should have took a ship down there and made the rescue himself."

No, I'm actually glad that he finally approved the use of force. I think by showing that he's not afraid to flex some muscle when needed, he's been able to do more than save face, but also gain respect. I was worried that we'd have another Carter on our hands, but I say "good job" to Obama (and of course to the SEALS as well)!
truespeed
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
kick 'em in the face.

You should go into comedy,even if your rubbish, you have a great catch phrase.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
I can't take credit for the logo. I found it on a Democratic site where they were selling Obama paraphernalia (stickers, t-shirts, etc.) running up to the election. Pretty ironic I guess.
Very ironic, also just the right one for the moment Smile

Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Perhaps we should start rounding up Somalis' and detaining them in GITMO. Ok, that was a cheapshot(sorry deanhills).
No worries, and no offense taken. Anyway, from your last recommendation it would appear that there is no more need for a GITMO Laughing

Looks as though Captain Richard Phillips has been rescued yesterday, so am really happy there is a good ending to his bravery. No doubt he is going to get some or other reward for this. Good guy! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_piracy_legal
Guess you must be happy Solon, the Navy only killed three out of the four, so one pirate left, and he is not going to GITMO Laughing He is actually going to get a hearing. Dancing

Bad for the pirates, as I think they now have the full attention of the United States Government. Hell has no fury like the US Navy scorned. Smile
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Guess you must be happy Solon, the Navy only killed three out of the four, so one pirate left, and he is not going to GITMO He is actually going to get a hearing.

Actually, I would have liked if they killed all of the pirates.
lagoon
Apparently the snipers shot in the pitch black, at a covered lifeboat, from a rocking ship. Simultaneously. Impressive, eh?
liljp617
lagoon wrote:
Apparently the snipers shot in the pitch black, at a covered lifeboat, from a rocking ship. Simultaneously. Impressive, eh?

If it were anybody except the US military, it would be impressive Wink Commendable, but expected and well trained.
Bikerman
LOL..the odour of jingoistic testosterone is becoming overpowering.
Nick2008
I am happy that Obama authorized use of force... but I am dissatisfied that he waited over 100 hours to call a plan of action.

Also, remember, he has yet to comment on the pirates...
handfleisch
Nick2008 wrote:
I am happy that Obama authorized use of force... but I am dissatisfied that he waited over 100 hours to call a plan of action.

Yes he has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msj2PAkbj00
liljp617
Bikerman wrote:
LOL..the odour of jingoistic testosterone is becoming overpowering.

Don't make me get my musket out Twisted Evil

Nick2008 wrote:

You do not go guns blazing into a situation where there is a hostage being held by people who have no reason to do anything except take the hostage's life. You wait for advisement from the military officials (you know, the people who make a career out of these kinds of decisions) on what the best course of action would be. Not only that, people are pretending the whole story of what the White House did in the situation is out there for the public to see...it never is. You think they just sat there twiddling their thumbs without a single thought of the hostage in their minds, not weighing any of the possible options that they could carry out to ensure his safe rescue? Come on now.

And yes, the White House has released statements on the situation with the pirates of that region
Nick2008
handfleisch wrote:

Yes he has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msj2PAkbj00

I stand corrected, looks like this was today, didn't watch his press conference. I will take it, but the issue on piracy was pretty brief. I can understand that this is a new problem arising, so I will expect more from Obama or the white house on this some time later.

I understand that the decision has to be made carefully, and 100 hours is the most I'd take (captain could've died from starvation if we waited longer). But it's still a tad long in my opinion... how are we able to end hostage situations with up to 300 people hostage with 6 or so hostage takers, within 72 hours? Yet here, there's 4 pirates and 1 hostage, on a covered lifeboat. Logically, there's not many options. I can only bring up a few:
1. Pay the ransom
2. Attack the pirates head-on at the 50-50 risk of losing the captive
3. Make a surprise attack (like diving underwater and coming up on the lifeboat on the sides) so the pirates have very little time to react and capture them, at the risk of failing the attempt.
4. Call on for international support.

We obviously chose a combination of 2 and 3 (we attacked head-on, yet it was a surprise at night). But why on that night?, when it could've been carried out 1 or even 2 nights before, and we would've all been relieved earlier.

Since this was a naval operation, not a hostage crisis on land, I can accept that it's one of the newer operations we did, so obviously experience wasn't that high. Since we've gained some experience, and if this happens again, hopefully we expect for a more swift, faster operation.

Also, people have brought up the idea the pirates have a "mothership" or a large vessel where the pirates keep their weapons, speedboats, and the officials and elite pirates live. Do you think they exist? Or pirates operate in Somali?
ocalhoun
Nick2008 wrote:

We obviously chose a combination of 2 and 3 (we attacked head-on, yet it was a surprise at night). But why on that night?, when it could've been carried out 1 or even 2 nights before, and we would've all been relieved earlier.

Give them some time to work on the logistics, okay? You think every navy ship carries a team of expert seal snipers?
Quote:

Also, people have brought up the idea the pirates have a "mothership" or a large vessel where the pirates keep their weapons, speedboats, and the officials and elite pirates live. Do you think they exist? Or pirates operate in Somali?

I'd say a remote beach or island would be more likely. Even likelier than that, they operate out of civilian ports by being sneaky and appearing to be legitimate.

A single large base with all their most valuable things and people in it is a perfect target, and they probably realize that, so they'll avoid making one.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Guess you must be happy Solon, the Navy only killed three out of the four, so one pirate left, and he is not going to GITMO He is actually going to get a hearing.

No hearing! ..... I'm shocked Shocked Laughing

Nick2008 wrote:

Absolutely agreed. And they were dahm lucky that it had a good ending. If it had been a bad ending then possibly they would have asked your questions, but since it ended good, probably no need for an enquiry.
Solon_Poledourus
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
No hearing! ..... I'm shocked

No need. They had an AK-47 pointed to the guys back, and no guarantee of how long they were going to keep him alive. These guys created the situation, and they suffered the consequences. Would it have been better if they'd given up and we put them all on trial? Yeah, that would be nice, but they didn't give us much choice. The actions of the Navy were justifiable and necessary. The one that lived will get his trial anyway. He's just lucky he got caught by the US and not by China.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:

No need. They had an AK-47 pointed to the guys back, and no guarantee of how long they were going to keep him alive. These guys created the situation, and they suffered the consequences. Would it have been better if they'd given up and we put them all on trial? Yeah, that would be nice, but they didn't give us much choice. The actions of the Navy were justifiable and necessary. The one that lived will get his trial anyway. He's just lucky he got caught by the US and not by China.
Right, and it would be interesting to establish whether his removal to the United States was upfront and legal. Maybe Somalians may disagree with his receiving a hearing in the United States. Isn't he a Somalian citizen?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Right, and it would be interesting to establish whether his removal to the United States was upfront and legal. Maybe Somalians may disagree with his receiving a hearing in the United States. Isn't he a Somalian citizen?

Well, since he's already in custody, that just saves the US the trouble of extraditing him. It would be nice to include the Somali government in the process, but I doubt the USA take no for an answer, especially if he was captured in international waters.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, since he's already in custody, that just saves the US the trouble of extraditing him. It would be nice to include the Somali government in the process, but I doubt the USA take no for an answer, especially if he was captured in international waters.
Agreed. I was playing devil's advocate as Solon has argued for human rights to be respected both inside and outside the United States regardless of what that person has done. I would have thought along those idealistic lines, that the person would have the right to a fair trial, as well as the right to ask for a trial in its own country. Would be interesting to see who will be acting on behalf of the pirate. And the cost of it too. Perhaps Solon's first comment about sorting this guy out finally would have been more practical and less expensive? Shocked Smile
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Agreed. I was playing devil's advocate as Solon has argued for human rights to be respected both inside and outside the United States regardless of what that person has done. I would have thought along those idealistic lines, that the person would have the right to a fair trial, as well as the right to ask for a trial in its own country. Would be interesting to see who will be acting on behalf of the pirate. And the cost of it too. Perhaps Solon's first comment about sorting this guy out finally would have been more practical and less expensive?

He was caught in international waters committing a crime against Americans. I think that qualifies him for a trial in the States. I agree that the Somali government should be involved in his trial, but I don't foresee them being very helpful.
If he hadn't given himself up, and had been shot, it would have saved us some complications, but as it is, he will have to get a trial. I just hope Somalia is at least accepting of that fact, if not totally cooperative.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Agreed. I was playing devil's advocate as Solon has argued for human rights to be respected both inside and outside the United States regardless of what that person has done. I would have thought along those idealistic lines, that the person would have the right to a fair trial, as well as the right to ask for a trial in its own country. Would be interesting to see who will be acting on behalf of the pirate. And the cost of it too. Perhaps Solon's first comment about sorting this guy out finally would have been more practical and less expensive?

He was caught in international waters committing a crime against Americans. I think that qualifies him for a trial in the States. I agree that the Somali government should be involved in his trial, but I don't foresee them being very helpful.
If he hadn't given himself up, and had been shot, it would have saved us some complications, but as it is, he will have to get a trial. I just hope Somalia is at least accepting of that fact, if not totally cooperative.
Would be interesting to see how they react. I have not seen a public announcement from them yet.
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

If he hadn't given himself up, and had been shot, it would have saved us some complications, but as it is, he will have to get a trial.

If he gets a fair trial and a reasonable sentence, it could help convince other pirates later on to give up rather than be shot.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

If he hadn't given himself up, and had been shot, it would have saved us some complications, but as it is, he will have to get a trial.

If he gets a fair trial and a reasonable sentence, it could help convince other pirates later on to give up rather than be shot.
Who knows, perhaps this could get them a green card in the end Smile We may be getting more pirates now? Smile
dickyzin
I doubt they will get the green card with their criminal convictions. I would think that they would be deported after they have served their prison sentence. The new pirate incidents after this hostage situation is apparently more of a revenge act. The future pirates can now include the release of their captured pirate as part of the ransom along with money, safe passage, etc. We'll have to see how the world will react when pirate incidents increase. They might even declare "War on Pirates" in the future or include pirates in the terrorist category (if they are not already in the list).
deanhills
dickyzin wrote:
The future pirates can now include the release of their captured pirate as part of the ransom along with money, safe passage, etc.
Good point! I can see this happening. Must be pretty lonely for the single pirate in the US! Going to be even worse for him in prison.
dickyzin
The reports of pirate attacks have dissipated already. Is this because it's not happening or is it because the media is just playing it down?
deanhills
dickyzin wrote:
The reports of pirate attacks have dissipated already. Is this because it's not happening or is it because the media is just playing it down?
Maybe nothing has happened on the pirate front since the last major incident. Last reports on the remaining pirate who was taken to the United States said the Somali was awaiting trial (21 April 2009).
http://kdka.com/national/new.york.court.2.989775.html

Quote:
Ron Kuby, a New York-based civil rights lawyer, said he has been in discussions about forming a legal team to represent the Somalian.

"I think in this particular case, there's a grave question as to whether America was in violation of principles of truce in warfare on the high seas," said Kuby. "This man seemed to come onto the Bainbridge under a flag of truce to negotiate. He was then captured. There is a question whether he is lawfully in American custody and serious questions as to whether he can be prosecuted because of his age."
Solon_Poledourus
Quote:
Ron Kuby, a New York-based civil rights lawyer, said he has been in discussions about forming a legal team to represent the Somalian.

"I think in this particular case, there's a grave question as to whether America was in violation of principles of truce in warfare on the high seas," said Kuby. "This man seemed to come onto the Bainbridge under a flag of truce to negotiate. He was then captured. There is a question whether he is lawfully in American custody and serious questions as to whether he can be prosecuted because of his age."
I find this a bit funny. What position was he in "to negotiate"? His fellow criminals were dead, and the hostage was free.

Also, pirate attacks might still be happening, but until an American is taken hostage, I doubt we will hear much about it on American news.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Quote:

I find this a bit funny. What position was he in "to negotiate"? His fellow criminals were dead, and the hostage was free.

Also, pirate attacks might still be happening, but until an American is taken hostage, I doubt we will hear much about it on American news.
I'm a fan of Alan Shore in "Boston Legal".

Maybe we should suggest him to Kuby as he probably would be able to argue anything legal Kuby wants. Laughing

As far as I can remember the reason this pirate was spared, is that he was wounded. He was not at the scene when his fellow pirates were killed. So possibly he had a white tissue on him or maybe the white bandage may count for something? And now can go for a defense that he surrendered under a white flag and then got captured. Laughing

Do you think the Somali is 16 years old? I don't think he is even 18. He has to be older, maybe 20 plus?
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I love anything James Spader does. Even that weird "Crash" movie he did with Holly Hunter.

I would really like to know what the hell that guy is smiling about in that picture. His comrades are dead, he's wounded, facing a trial and a potentially very heavy sentence in a foreign country, and he has a huge $hit eating grin on his face like he just got away with the heist of the century. At least try to look a little remorseful there buddy, that cheshire cat thing doesn't help your defense at all...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I love anything James Spader does. Even that weird "Crash" movie he did with Holly Hunter.

I would really like to know what the hell that guy is smiling about in that picture. His comrades are dead, he's wounded, facing a trial and a potentially very heavy sentence in a foreign country, and he has a huge $hit eating grin on his face like he just got away with the heist of the century. At least try to look a little remorseful there buddy, that cheshire cat thing doesn't help your defense at all...
I also like James Spader in other movies. White Palace with Susan Sarandon Smile But Boston Legal is my favourite as I like the character he is playing. Fits him like a glove.

My thoughts exactly about the smiling Somali. But then most Africans from that region are brought up to smile. Sort of a cultural thing. Probably one of the first things Kunst will teach him not to do in the court room. Going to need quite a bit of coaching. Brings me to my other pet theory that there is no real justice, justice is as good as a laywer you can buy Twisted Evil
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I also like James Spader in other movies. White Palace with Susan Sarandon. But Boston Legal is my favourite as I like the character he is playing. Fits him like a glove.
White Palace was great. But yes, Alan Shore fits him perfectly. I love the way he speaks in that role.
deanhills wrote:
My thoughts exactly about the smiling Somali. But then most Africans from that region are brought up to smile. Sort of a cultural thing.
I didn't even think about this. Sometimes it's hard to remember that facial expressions and hand gestures aren't universal in their meanings.
deanhills wrote:
Probably one of the first things Kunst will teach him not to do in the court room. Going to need quite a bit of coaching. Brings me to my other pet theory that there is no real justice, justice is as good as a laywer you can buy
Well, the Judicial system may not render true Justice every time, but Marcus Tullius Cicero said "Justice renders to every man his due". In the end, we all pay the piper.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Marcus Tullius Cicero said "Justice renders to every man his due". In the end, we all pay the piper.
I don't agree with that. Many men and women have been sentenced to death in ways that they definitely did not deserve. To me there simply is no justice. We have not been born equal, so the scale of justice can never balance perfectly equal.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I don't agree with that. Many men and women have been sentenced to death in ways that they definitely did not deserve.
That's "law", which often has little or nothing to do with "Justice".
deanhills wrote:
To me there simply is no justice. We have not been born equal, so the scale of justice can never balance perfectly equal.
We all receive the same sentence in the end. If you ask me, that's the most fair thing ever.

But that's all philosophical Justice. In practice, you are right, the law does not help every one. And sometimes it helps the guilty more than the innocent. Which is why I feel it's important for people to become more involved, to ensure the rendering of Justice, regardless of the verdicts of law.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
But that's all philosophical Justice. In practice, you are right, the law does not help every one. And sometimes it helps the guilty more than the innocent. Which is why I feel it's important for people to become more involved, to ensure the rendering of Justice, regardless of the verdicts of law.
Good point. Instead of pointing fingers to "they" it has to become "we" Smile
I like the way Thomas Friedman put it in the New York Times:
Quote:
It’s hard to know whether to laugh or cry after reading the reactions of analysts and officials in the Middle East to President Obama’s Cairo speech. “It’s not what he says, but what he does,” many said. No, ladies and gentlemen of the Middle East, it is what he says and what you do and what we do. We must help, but we can’t want democracy or peace more than you do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/opinion/07friedman.html
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Good point. Instead of pointing fingers to "they" it has to become "we"
That's part of why I think our political system is broken beyond repair. We have politicians with whom we can't identify, and vise versa. We have been so inured to political corruption that it has become a punch line when they get caught. The rich and powerful constantly benefit from the law even as they break it, while the poor and powerless are labeled criminals by the rich and powerful. It breeds apathy, and the result is that people have lost hope. People don't get involved because it's like trying to push back the oceans tide with a mop.

Until it becomes "we" instead of "me", and "us" instead of "them", none of this will ever get fixed.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Good point. Instead of pointing fingers to "they" it has to become "we"
That's part of why I think our political system is broken beyond repair. We have politicians with whom we can't identify, and vise versa. We have been so inured to political corruption that it has become a punch line when they get caught. The rich and powerful constantly benefit from the law even as they break it, while the poor and powerless are labeled criminals by the rich and powerful. It breeds apathy, and the result is that people have lost hope. People don't get involved because it's like trying to push back the oceans tide with a mop.

Until it becomes "we" instead of "me", and "us" instead of "them", none of this will ever get fixed.
How is Obama doing on this for you? He does talk about "yes we can"? But is he doing it by example, or only lip language? Have to think about this one as I get his "we" as being separate from the general citizens in the street "we". Sort of a binocular political savvy version of the real "we" Smile Oui oui .... ? Laughing
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
How is Obama doing on this for you?
He's a professional politician. His priorities will never be the same as yours or mine, which means he will never have the capacity to have our best interests in mind. He's a good speaker, amazing even, and that's what made people vote for him(beyond the usual hollow promises every candidate makes).
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
How is Obama doing on this for you?
He's a professional politician. His priorities will never be the same as yours or mine, which means he will never have the capacity to have our best interests in mind. He's a good speaker, amazing even, and that's what made people vote for him(beyond the usual hollow promises every candidate makes).
Think that is my take on it too. I wonder how many people regretted voting for him. Quite a number of people were hoping for significant change and probably have learned by now that he is not a miracle man. He is simply President of the United States.