FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What NOT to blog about

What do you NOT blog about?
Work/Finances
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Family/Friends
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Relationships/Sexuality
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No subject is taboo for me!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other/I don't blog
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

furtasacra
I have something of a dilemma lately, and I'm betting I'm not the only one with this problem. Some of the topics I most want to write about on my blog are things I don't dare publish for fear of having them read by friends/family/co-workers etc.

It's paradoxical that I'm perfectly willing to spew my woes, frustrations and conflicts about my relationships, my finances, and battles with my inner demons for perfect strangers to read. I have a lot to say, a good deal of which other people can probably identify and sympathize with... but friends and family might read it.

For example, I don't want my ex-husband (or even worse, his new girlfriend) reading the posts (some humorous, some heart-rending) about the despair his leaving plunged me into. I really don't want the new guy I'm becoming interested in to read the funny post about how stupid I feel around him because my frustrated sex drive starts eating my brain whenever I see him.

Yes, I actually wrote these things, and more besides; several of them are quite good (so sayeth the one person I allowed to see them), but I just don't dare hit the PUBLISH button, for fear of repercussions.

Who else is in this boat? What do YOU want to write about but don't dare publish it?
ocalhoun
^My online persona and real-life persona are entirely separated. Nobody online knows my real name, and nobody who knows the real me knows my online name. (Though some good detective work would link the two, I rely on the fact that nobody cares enough to try that hard.)

That way, things said online can't have real world repercussions.
scallywag
I'm with Ocalhoun; an online persona could be the best way to handle your situation. That way you're free to say all the humorous, personal things you want, while still maintain confidentiality and not having to worry about what family & friends might think. Sure, it takes a bit more work to disguise some of the details that might give away you or the people you're writing about, but it could be well worth it to get it all of your chest.
jwellsy
Don't drink and post.

BTW, Happy Mothers Day!
Radar
I only occasionally blog, but when I do, I tend to try and steer away from personal matters. Yes, talking about a recent experience is fine, but I certainly won't ever rant / try and get something off my chest on a blog. So nothing that could be taken to be offensive, or that I hope won't be read by certain people.

Having said that, I will sometimes write one or two things on a blog / whatever, that no one that I know is aware of, and without a lot of luck and serious hunting down, would ever be able to find. Normally however, slight paranoia prevails and I remove the references to real world people reasonably soon afterwards.
PatTheGreat42
Maybe you should start a whole new, completely annonymous blog where you post about all such things?
Kohi
I occasionally write something and then not post it. I really consider more of what I come off as instead of what I'm writing. It's okay to write about troubles, for me anyway, if it's clean and clear.

I personally hate to come off as a jerk or a whiny-ass child because on the Internet, there are no true facial expressions (no matter how many Emoticons are in your post). If you want to post about how sad you are, make sure its sad, not "I'm going to cut myself" sad. Even though you may be just under-the-weather, others will see your typing (ex- your boss and co-workers) and may get nervous around you, afraid of having to deal with someone going berserk. If you just say "I need a few moments to myself to pull my mind back into reality" instead of "AHHH I can't take it anymore! I need him in my life!!!!" it's all okay, because I doubt there are few who see the first quote and consider the writer Emo.
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
^My online persona and real-life persona are entirely separated. Nobody online knows my real name, and nobody who knows the real me knows my online name. (Though some good detective work would link the two, I rely on the fact that nobody cares enough to try that hard.)

That way, things said online can't have real world repercussions.

Same here Wink
...it's all me at the end of the day but anonymity is the way forward in my opinion - keeps me out of any trouble that way!
Crinoid
I didn't vote: blog about anything that will not get you sued or make you regret that you did it.

I started studying blogging recently and it seems that one should be extremely careful what to disclose online, especially real life situations that could be recognized by reader (How to blog safely). If it will be done with negative evaluations - even sued for libel or cause embarrassment. It is bot my business, but if you want to express yourself freely - don't do it online. Otherwice check trice and remove any identifiable details and anything that could be considered as libeling, even if it is true. More.
This will impede creativity and productivity, naturally.

And another thought, not critique.
Not much people are willing to share something good, for example how to get over it and have a good life, without troublemaker, and if with troublemakers - how to do it with minimal damage.

But unresolvable troubles and woes that each of us has - almost everyone. Especially in human relationships. When one tries get over it and live the life the best s/he can, then stumbles upon other people's unsolvable problems on the web. It solves nothing and leads to depression. Life is not we were lead to believe it is.

Everybody wants to talk about own problems, nobody wants to be exposed to that. Each has their own and also want to talk, not listen.
Now I'm influencing your mood. Sorry.
joostvane
I don't blog and that I read anothers blog is rare. Only if I find it a good blog that I found on google, doing some research for school or something.
Bluedoll
Blobs are a new rage. I mean blogs are a new rave. Whatever, relatively new to me at least.

That is a funny picture with the baby and it's play toy. Laughing

If we sit back in this new exciting age and look at the bigger picture for a minute maybe it might shine some light on a few things about how the internet can affect our lifes.

Is this correct? Isn’t posting regardless of what we call it like sticking something on the sticky board at the grocery store there for everyone to read although it may really not get read especially if it is in some city other than one we live in?

There are other avenues other than blogs we can use, although I am not speaking out again blogs, they seem to be very popular these days.

For serious stuff we can write a letter and send it to our self or if we really feel we need to say a lot write a book. If that seems like too big a chore come over for tea sometime at my place (see my web site).

Obviously, from you post you feel uncomfortable about writing some things on your blog so maybe you could go with that instinct and delete what is there and put is somewhere else?
toasterintheoven
blogging of what not to blog is hardly blogworthy IMO
J/K!
saratdear
Well, I do blog...or rather, I did blog. But I've stopped long since, and fortunately it is not something I would be embarrassed about or constantly in fear about what somebody would say if they see it.

As somebody else said, you could have an anonymous online persona, but I believe that something you post on the internet is never completely anonymous and could be traced back to you.

Here is an idea : Password protect your blog and give it to the select few who are ready to read. Easier said than done, but atleast you will be sure only the people who should will read it.
fantoos
I don't blog about family or personal matter because I don't find it safe/good to share it with others or online. Otherwise I blogged for what's going on around you in entertainment, sports, social issues or other topics.
dv8r
furtasacra wrote:
I have something of a dilemma lately, and I'm betting I'm not the only one with this problem. Some of the topics I most want to write about on my blog are things I don't dare publish for fear of having them read by friends/family/co-workers etc.

It's paradoxical that I'm perfectly willing to spew my woes, frustrations and conflicts about my relationships, my finances, and battles with my inner demons for perfect strangers to read. I have a lot to say, a good deal of which other people can probably identify and sympathize with... but friends and family might read it.

For example, I don't want my ex-husband (or even worse, his new girlfriend) reading the posts (some humorous, some heart-rending) about the despair his leaving plunged me into. I really don't want the new guy I'm becoming interested in to read the funny post about how stupid I feel around him because my frustrated sex drive starts eating my brain whenever I see him.

Yes, I actually wrote these things, and more besides; several of them are quite good (so sayeth the one person I allowed to see them), but I just don't dare hit the PUBLISH button, for fear of repercussions.

Who else is in this boat? What do YOU want to write about but don't dare publish it?

This topic is kind of a ironic one, don't you think?
If I told you, then it would published.
lol.
Smile
ponda
I write about everything...just filter it a little...for example, I wouldn't write about some crazy hook-up i had with a random guy in great detail, just maybe mention I met someone cool and had fun. It's all about how you write it.