FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it me or is frihost getting slower?

Arty
From time to time, everything on frihost loads very slowly.
Like today, twice I've experienced this site being down. Firefox just tells me that frihost.com or frihost.net doesn't exist.

And also, when I try to make a new post or edit one, sometimes it shows up as a PHP error, or the page won't even load, or takes forever to do so.

In other times, my cPanel is EXTREMELY slow. Sometimes it won't even load!

And right now, I'm trying to update something on my blog, and my site is being really slow, like, dial up slow.

So is this a problem on Frihost, or am I the only one experiencing it?
leontius
Yep I experienced it too yesterday. Even the mysql server sometimes went away. But they were intermittent - now everything is normal again. Because we share servers, if somebody is doing some heavy work in his/her site, or the site is DoSed, others will be affected.

We cannot complain too much because this is a free web hosting... it is still better than some paid ones actually...
the-guide
Yes at that time I have the same problem like that too but now it's seem OK.
However, I agree with "leontius" that Frihost is actually better than some (many) paid web hosting. This is truely. Smile
Daniel15
Unfortunately, this is part of a host getting bigger. As more people start using the host, it gets slower Sad
The only ways to make a host faster are:
1) Optimise MySQL (slow MySQL performance is the main bottleneck)
2) Upgrade the server
3) Move to a new, more powerful server

I'm sure that the FriHost admins would already have optimised services like MySQL, so that rules out the first option. It costs Bondings a lot of money to run FriHost, especially since there's three servers. So I guess, the only option is to live with the slowness Sad. It's still pretty fast (especially compared to some other free hosts), and see if Bondings can do anything to make it faster.
Bondings
Arty wrote:
From time to time, everything on frihost loads very slowly.
Like today, twice I've experienced this site being down. Firefox just tells me that frihost.com or frihost.net doesn't exist.

And also, when I try to make a new post or edit one, sometimes it shows up as a PHP error, or the page won't even load, or takes forever to do so.

In other times, my cPanel is EXTREMELY slow. Sometimes it won't even load!

And right now, I'm trying to update something on my blog, and my site is being really slow, like, dial up slow.

So is this a problem on Frihost, or am I the only one experiencing it?

VPS 1 (with your cPanel and website) is located on a different server than these forums (server 3), so those things are separate issues.

About the slowness of the forums, I'm currently working on it.
cr3ativ3
Right now I cant tell the speed as everything is really slow atm...as my upload is maxed at the moment every request I make takes a century to complete...

My ping is at 1000ms off google lol at the moment.

But ya Server 3 (or VPS) has always been a little slower, due to the fact that it has these forums as well as a number of sites on it. And its not a dedicated server, its VPS.
mOrpheuS
cr3ativ3 wrote:
But ya Server 3 (or VPS) has always been a little slower, due to the fact that it has these forums as well as a number of sites on it. And its not a dedicated server, its VPS.

We have VPS1, Server 2 (out of commission for now), and Server 3.

Server 3 is a dedicated server, not a VPS. Infact, it's the more powerful one.

The load on Server 3, unless I'm mistaken, has improved vastly since last week.
I haven't faced any slowdowns whatsoever.
cr3ativ3
mOrpheuS wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:

We have VPS1, Server 2 (out of commission for now), and Server 3.

Server 3 is a dedicated server, not a VPS. Infact, it's the more powerful one.

The load on Server 3, unless I'm mistaken, has improved vastly since last week.
I haven't faced any slowdowns whatsoever.

My bad, apparently I have been misinformed.
Mudkipdw
Somethimes it can be a bit slow but recently i've found it really fast :] I guess its slow somethimes because it is so popular and all the servers it runs...
internetjobs
while i browse my site it is in very good speed.. when i post something in my forum, i feel littlebit slowness.. is it like so?

Thx
b4r4t
I think that frihost forum have lot of visitors and phpbb script isn't well optimized and generates lot of load on CPU ...
That's why formum cometimes crashes/doesn't load ...

But Yes ... frihost is slower and slower ... (I have 4Mbps connection then this is not my ISP ...)
internetjobs
i feel so...
SpellcasterDX
I'd say it's still pretty fast and a good speed for a free host.
tchaunt
I used to have horrible problems with the site "Not existing". But luckily, now, either Bondings fixed it or something magically happened (probably the prior Razz) because it is working very well for me. I haven't had anyone report my site being down since nearly four weeks ago.