FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does love at first sight actually happen?

subirbasak
Does love at first sight actually happen? Well, scientists say that the answer to this ever-existing query lies in geneticists.

In a study on fruit flies, American and Australian researchers have discovered that some males and females are more compatible than others at the genetic level.

In their opinion, this compatibility plays an important role in mate selection, mating outcomes, and future reproductive behaviours.

The researchers say that the experiments conducted by them have shown that before mating, females experience something called "genetic priming", which makes them more likely to mate with certain males over others.

"Our research helps to shed light on the complex biochemistry involved in mate selection and reproduction," said Mariana Wolfner, Professor of Developmental Biology at Cornell University and the senior scientist involved in the study.

She added: "These findings may lead to ways to curb unwanted insect populations by activating or deactivating genes that play a role in female mating decisions."

For the study, scientists mated two different strains of fruit fly females to males either from their own strain or to males from the other strain.

They noted the males with which females of each strain tended to mate, and then examined whether the females showed differences in behaviour soon after mating and in reproduction-related activities, such as how many offspring were produced and how many sperm were stored.

They also analysed females' RNA to compare the genes expressed in females mated to males of different strains.

It was found that despite observed differences in mating behaviours and reproduction activities in females mated to different strains of males, there were only negligible mating-dependent differences in gene expression between the groups.

Based on their observations, the researchers came to the conclusion that genetic changes involved in mate choice and reproduction existed before mating began.

The study has been published in the latest issue of the journal Genetics.
mgeek
Nice article on fruit flies. There is attraction at first sight. But whether that attraction is "love" still needs to be verified. That is the reason why among human beings there is a period of wherein the interested parties get to know each other.
Solon_Poledourus
subirbasak wrote:

Nope. If it's based on sight, it's attraction.
subirbasak wrote:
Well, scientists say that the answer to this ever-existing query lies in geneticists.

In a study on fruit flies,

OK, I'll bite.
subairbasak wrote:
American and Australian researchers have discovered that some males and females are more compatible than others at the genetic level.
In their opinion, this compatibility plays an important role in mate selection, mating outcomes, and future reproductive behaviours.

Genetic compatibility as reproductive motivation is not the equivalent of complex emotional ties, which is how most people would define love.
subirbasak wrote:
The researchers say that the experiments conducted by them have shown that before mating, females experience something called "genetic priming", which makes them more likely to mate with certain males over others.

By that logic, a woman who goes to the Sperm Bank for artificial insemenation, and chooses sperm based on genetic characteristics, is also proof of "love at first sight" when she uses a sample that is more genetically suited to her. Interesting.
Is this really an important enough topic for geneticists to be wasting funding and research on? I wonder what would happen if all scientists stopped doing this crap and focused more on curing cancer and AIDS or something in that direction.
ocalhoun
subirbasak wrote:

That would depend greatly on how you define love.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
That would depend greatly on how you define love.

True. I fell in love at first sight with a boat one time.
cleverclassic
I believe in true love, but no one can recognize it, because no one knows how to love. Every one has an idea of love, and its just the wrong idea. Love is not forgiving if they cheat on you. Love is never having to cheat because you really care about your significant other. Love is not one person sacrificing their life to make the relation ship work. Love is two lives making a compromise to make one solid union. Any way love at first site is impossible. You must really know a person to love them. True all relationships start with an attraction, and love at first site would really be just two really horny people that are really attracted to each other, but not love.
amfriendsforever153
yes love at first sight can happen in life.infact i was in love at first sight. whn i was in 10th std in my school life.thats why i think it can happen...but not for everyone.
crossroads
I have to say that I feel that love at first sight is possible. I personally have had it happen to me. It was not from what she looked like but just what I felt the first time seeing her. I knew at the moment that I wanted to be with her and I wanted to care for her for the rest of my life.
joe_b
Don't forget smell. There is evidence that part of attraction in many species can be related to MHC genes (they are a component of your immune system). There appears to be a link between women being more attracted to men with different MHC genes than their own, thereby improving their offspring's immune system.
chatrack
I do beleave love can happen in first sight.
Cliffer
i believe it too.
deanhills
I've heard about it, but that has never really happened to me ... so far anyway. My experiences have usually evolved out of friendships. In the end the friendships were the better part of those relationships!
TomS
deanhills wrote:
so far anyway. My experiences have usually evolved out of friendships. In the end the friendships were the better part of those relationships!

True.

Although love at first time happened to me once or twice...

So I do believe in it, but I totally agree with deanhills.
mrcool
i believe on it that love happens at first sight....
paskifire
For me, I agree that there's an attraction but love isn't the correct term. In my opinion, love is something that you feel for someone you want to protect. Someone who understands who you are and accepts whatever you have. But putting it "at first sight" i can't prove it for myself. There can be love developing "in time".
ciureanuc
Love at first sight... this word "love" is soooo relative!
It happened for me ones but now, after 10 years, I believe that the feeling weren't love but attraction (as Solon_Poledourus said).
You see a girl and you want to dance with her all night, to talk ages, to kiss her and in the end (not to far this end) to make love to her. Is this love or attraction?
Now I call it attraction... Smile
amperx
love at first sight? for me, i think you'll like the person first, then fall for love later xd thats just me
clnhshome
it depends on the persons personality
and likes ^^
tukun
subirbasak wrote:
Does love at first sight actually happen? Well, scientists say that the answer to this ever-existing query lies in geneticists.

In a study on fruit flies, American and Australian researchers have discovered that some males and females are more compatible than others at the genetic level.

"Our research helps to shed light on the complex biochemistry involved in mate selection and reproduction," said Mariana Wolfner, Professor of Developmental Biology at Cornell University and the senior scientist involved in the study.

She added: "These findings may lead to ways to curb unwanted insect populations by activating or deactivating genes that play a role in female mating decisions."

For the study, scientists mated two different strains of fruit fly females to males either from their own strain or to males from the other strain.

They noted the males with which females of each strain tended to mate, and then examined whether the females showed differences in behaviour soon after mating and in reproduction-related activities, such as how many offspring were produced and how many sperm were stored.

They also analysed females' RNA to compare the genes expressed in females mated to males of different strains.

It was found that despite observed differences in mating behaviours and reproduction activities in females mated to different strains of males, there were only negligible mating-dependent differences in gene expression between the groups.

Based on their observations, the researchers came to the conclusion that genetic changes involved in mate choice and reproduction existed before mating began.

The study has been published in the latest issue of the journal Genetics.

love is a phenomenon we relate it with heart but its nothing to do with heart its the brain who makes love, every one admire beauty its common to every one so the love at first sight came into play
wanshi
Does love at first sight actually happen? I think it's hard to say if it's love. You see,what's love based on? at first sight,you just get little information about a person,and more about his or her appearance,to the character no one can know well at the first sight. And now if you believe love is based on the appearance, may be love will happen, but if you don't believe that, then what about love?
rogue_skydragon
I think love at first sight can happen. To some, it may seem irrational, but to me, it's definitely possible.
macky
yeah i think love at first sight really do happens... it is God's plan two people meet and see other on a

right time and places... it is really incredible to know that at first sight you would feel if that person is

really meant for you... Wink
mshafiq
It is just true and not in all cases.
It is strange but if some one asks me to what extent it is true., I would ike to say 33%.
Generally in first sight what may occure is probably what ia called 'I impressed' instead of saying 'i fall in love in first sight'.

However some times the level of being impressed is so high the person 'who is impressing' becomes and ideal partner, so people name it 'I fall in love'.
Dennise
"Love at first sight" is either infatuation or attraction.

For humans, either of these can grow into love but this takes time for both parties to observe and work out very complex behavior and emotional patterns. The time for this process can vary widely and usually will play into the the quality of the love.
Navigator
Falling in Love Only Takes About a Fifth of a Second, Research Reveals

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Oct. 25, 2010) A new meta-analysis study conducted by Syracuse University Professor Stephanie Ortigue reveals falling in love can elicit not only the same euphoric feeling as using cocaine, but also affects intellectual areas of the brain. Researchers also found falling in love only takes about a fifth of a second.

Results from Ortigue's team revealed when a person falls in love, 12 areas of the brain work in tandem to release euphoria-inducing chemicals such as dopamine, oxytocin, adrenaline and vasopression. The love feeling also affects sophisticated cognitive functions, such as mental representation, metaphors and body image.

The findings raise the question: "Does the heart fall in love, or the brain?"

"That's a tricky question always," says Ortigue. "I would say the brain, but the heart is also related because the complex concept of love is formed by both bottom-up and top-down processes from the brain to the heart and vice versa. For instance, activation in some parts of the brain can generate stimulations to the heart, butterflies in the stomach. Some symptoms we sometimes feel as a manifestation of the heart may sometimes be coming from the brain."

Ortigue is an assistant professor of psychology and an adjunct assistant professor of neurology, both in The College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse University.

Other researchers also found blood levels of nerve growth factor, or NGF, also increased. Those levels were significantly higher in couples who had just fallen in love. This molecule involved plays an important role in the social chemistry of humans, or the phenomenon 'love at first sight.' "These results confirm love has a scientific basis," says Ortigue.

The findings have major implications for neuroscience and mental health research because when love doesn't work out, it can be a significant cause of emotional stress and depression. "It's another probe into the brain and into the mind of a patient," says Ortigue. "By understanding why they fall in love and why they are so heartbroken, they can use new therapies." By identifying the parts of the brain stimulated by love, doctors and therapists can better understand the pains of love-sick patients.

The study also shows different parts of the brain fall for love. For example, unconditional love, such as that between a mother and a child, is sparked by the common and different brain areas, including the middle of the brain. Passionate love is sparked by the reward part of the brain, and also associative cognitive brain areas that have higher-order cognitive functions, such as body image.

Ortigue and her team worked with a team from West Virginia University and a university hospital in Switzerland. The results of the study are published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.

Ortigue worked on the love study with colleagues Francesco Bianchi-Demicheli (Geneva University Psychiatric Center, Switzerland), James Lewis (West Virginia University), Nisa Patel (graduate student in SU's College of Arts and Sciences) and Chris Frum (West Virginia University). Ortigue's follow-up study about the speed of love in the human brain is expected to be released soon.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101022184957.htm
shaggyfahad
it definitly depends on the peoples' perspective. Love can happen on first sight you really feel for the person infront of you, or else its just lust.
portoskt
in my case - yes... .few times every day ))
lovescience
Is there difference for male and female when they fall in love?

Could male more tend to be feel for female and female more tend to be impressed by male?

Maybe when they first seeing each other, male feels for female, then we may call the male has love in first sight.

And maybe when female is impressed by male, then we may call the female has love in first sight.
metalfreek
Love at first sight is good with movies but in real life I think its just attraction. But it also depends on how you define love. So this whole topic of love at first sight is very debatable.
ayour
i think love from the first sight can happen in one case : i will love you from from the first sight if you look like another person that i love.
Smile
lovelyviki
i also beleve love is from the first sight, if the first sight is not up to love, at least a good expression.
i and my husband also love at the first sight, so i believe it very much.
weed
for my opinion yes love at first sight happens only if both fall together
AtifJamalAnsari
mgeek wrote:
Nice article on fruit flies. There is attraction at first sight. But whether that attraction is "love" still needs to be verified. That is the reason why among human beings there is a period of wherein the interested parties get to know each other.

There is a difference betweet attraction and love. Good point.
manlal6
YES LOVE AT FIRST TIME REALLY HAPPENS AND IT HAVE HAPPENED WITH ME.
I WAS STUDYING IN 10TH CLASS AND A GIRL NAMED PRIYA WAS TRANSFERRED TO MY SCHOOL.
SHE WAS VERY BEAUTIFUL THAT AT THE FIRST DAY ONLY I FELT IN HER LOVE.
FRIENDS I WAS SEARCHING FOR A CHANCE TO BECOMR HER FRIEND AND AT LAST I GOT THE MOMENT AND WE ARE STILL TOGETHER TODAY.

Dancing Dancing
jajarvin
All the time and all over the world.
supermanlovejan
I believe that can happen. .......
mshafiq
I personally never believed in love at first sight. I am not sure about that. Anyways, thats a lot for the sharing! Smile
Blummer
I do believe in it. I have seen people literally burned by love at first sight. But that's a one-off thing and it won't happen each time you meet someone new.