FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Human is great.

spring567
Human have thoughts,can talk,talk and listen , but life is so short .
Solon_Poledourus
spring567 wrote:

Agree. Human great. Me likey likey with hot sauce. Yum yum. Human tasty.
peaceupnorth
We can sing, write poetry, dance, build airplanes, argue about pointless subjects in virtual forums, spend countless hours not enjoying just so we can enjoy in the evenings and weekends, and often not enjoying anyway.

We spend most of out time thinking or interacting with other creatures or their creations, live in a nice artificial world which is mostly blind to the needs of other beings.

And yes life is so short, yet we think that what we do is extremely important, and feel the same way about the actions of others.
ocalhoun
Humans are not so great... ugly and stinky, and literally too smart for their own good.
truespeed
You man kind.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Humans are not so great... ugly and stinky, and literally too smart for their own good.
Agreed they are not so great, but not agreed they are too smart. I don't think humans are smart at all. They may think they are, but that is probably our greatest failing, to think we are smart.
xavekka
spring567 wrote:

yes i have the thinking power thats why we fell that u r having short life otherwise we would not.
there are so many things that indicate the same we r not like othr organisms
Jintastic
living to 100 years old is old enough in my opinion.
Cddhesh
Human is great because there is end to human life.This restricts him to create his own image withing community, let it be bad or good. There are sorrows and happiness.Because there is sorrow there is value for happiness.
deanhills
Jintastic wrote:
living to 100 years old is old enough in my opinion.
Depending on whether we can sort out our genes so that we can have the same vibrancy we have in our twenties and thirties. These days they are doing wonders with genes and stem cells. Who knows, not to far from now they will be able to work with embryos so that we will have much better quality of life at an advanced age. Also work with gene therapy at the embryo stage to ensure no diseases etc. Perhaps they can drastically reduce medical bills for diseases, or who knows, instead of focussing research funds on researching disease, they could be investing funds to researching ways to design embryos so that there would be no disease, and/or grow organs for more regular transplant.
Cliffer
my dog also has thoughts,and can talk,talk and listen .we can communicate with each other very well.the important is,she never cheat me.
Xanatos
Cliffer wrote:
my dog also has thoughts,and can talk,talk and listen .we can communicate with each other very well.the important is,she never cheat me.

Sounds like you have a bone to pick (Really minor pun intended) with someone. We have a forum for those kinds of issues you know.
wanshishusheng
I think the most important is that human can stduy. It is the most valuable quality in human. For study, we can talk; For study, we can create; For study, we can love; For study, we can live. I believe we can live longer for study in the future^^
qtwaiter
I think life is not short, but the strong life is short, when we over sixty age, we are geting weak.
ocalhoun
qtwaiter wrote:
I think life is not short, but the strong life is short, when we over sixty age, we are geting weak.

In the long view of history, even 100 years of perfect health would be a pittance.
Greatking
humans are great people. they can love and be loved. its great to be a human being. created in the image of God. to take dominion and to have total control of the world and the things that have been given to us freely. human beings have been given wisdom to do exploits and to do great things to glorify God. we are able to work and make a living for ourselves. helping each other to succeed. its great being alive and human. yes life may be too short but its worth living.
ocalhoun
Greatking wrote:
humans are great people.

Really?
Quote:
they can love and be loved.

So can many animals, including my favorite, horses.
Quote:
its great to be a human being.

Speak for yourself. I'd rather be a horse.
Quote:
created in the image of God.

Rolling Eyes And how do you know what God's image is? I'd think that (a) God wouldn't choose an image as ugly as humans are.
Quote:
to take dominion and to have total control of the world and the things that have been given to us freely.

One of the things I dislike the most about humans, in fact.
Quote:
human beings have been given wisdom to do exploits and to do great things to glorify God.

Like killing each other by the millions! Yay!
Quote:
we are able to work and make a living for ourselves.

You mean just like every other living thing on the planet, to include bacteria?
Oh wait, some humans don't work and make a living for themselves, instead living off the charity of others...
Quote:
helping each other to succeed.

Just like many other animals, and even some plants and bacteria, do. (Including horses.)
Quote:
its great being alive and human. yes life may be too short but its worth living.

Great to be alive: yes.
Great to be human: opinions differ about this.
Too short but worth living: yes.
Diablosblizz
Sure, life has it's up and downs but overall it's really crud. No, I don't hate my life and I am grateful for being here but it's tons of things that go wrong that make me agree with ocalhoun.

1. God? Really, who? I'm not up for religion, sure if you're Catholic or anything I respect your decision and won't say anything but it's not for me. I figure I'm atheist, but I don't see the point in "praying" to some high-being. I will respect your religion if you respect mine.

2. Why so much hate? I mean seriously, life's hard enough as it is without people making it extremely difficult for each other. Seriously, we have to live on this planet together why the hell are we out killing people and stealing from each other. Seriously. (yeah, I said "seriously" three times I hope you get my point that it makes NO sense at all)

3. In addition to the point above, if God created such a great race, why do we kill people? What's the point? Why do we kill and eat Animals? If God had such a master plan, why are we killing animals and eating them for breakfast? Soon enough, they'll all be dead.

4. POVERTY. If life was so perfect why are people living on the streets or living without food.

I think the opposite of people, I think. Everybody thinks everything is great, while I pick out the points where things are wrong. It drives me crazy sometimes. Yeah, it's great to be alive like ocalhoun said but there's SO much we need to improve on. My father brought up a good point once:

Cancer, why is it still around? We donate billions of dollars each year and we STILL haven't found a cure? Why? We have a cure for basically everything else in the world, why not this? His theory is that it's just another way to kill of human beings. I believe him, I really do.
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:

Cancer, why is it still around? We donate billions of dollars each year and we STILL haven't found a cure? Why?

Twisted Evil Profit.

Miracle cancer drug that cures with one dose: $4,000 (per patient)
Cancer drug that has to be taken for years: $200 x 50 (month supplies) = $10,000 (per patient)
'Restless leg syndrome' pill that will probably be taken for the rest of the life of the patient: $50 x 600 (month supplies) = $30,000 (per patient, and more patients available than for cancer!)

Now, supposing you run a drug company, and have received a few million dollars for cancer research. Also, you have your own R&D funds to spend.
Since you have to spend the cancer funds on cancer, would you rather get a return of $4,000 or $10,000? Naturally, (given your duty to the stockholders) you spend it on what will give the greater returns: long, gradual treatments.
Now, for the rest of the funds.
You could spend it on the cancer drug, which will probably give you a return of $10,000. Or, you could spend it on the 'restless leg syndrome' drug, which will give you $30,000 per patient, and more patients besides... Once again, you'd be cheating the stockholders if you didn't choose the more profitable option.

Nobody is curing any disease anymore, because it's more profitable to treat it than to cure it.
And it's even more profitable to treat life-long conditions that don't really harm people much (erectile dysfunction, acid reflux, allergies, restless leg syndrome, et cetera). When you make medicine for those, people keep buying it for life, and they don't die off like cancer patients.

(Oh, and another dirty little secret. Although they try very cleverly to hide it in their financial statements, drug companies probably spend about twice the money on advertising that they do on research.)
Diablosblizz
It's pathetic, I don't have any words for it other than WHY? Money is/has ultimately corrupted this planet.
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:
It's pathetic, I don't have any words for it other than WHY? Money is/has ultimately corrupted this planet.

No, not money. People can still value possessions and power over the lives of others in a moneyless barter system.

Greed perhaps. Apathy about the suffering of others. The existence of such a large, complicated social system that makes widespread abuses possible... Maybe there are other explanations as well.
betaboy
even if life is so short .we can make life colorful!
ocalhoun
ebgames56pp wrote:
Humans are the best thing that has ever happened, But lifes too short

Humans are the best thing to have ever happened? By what standard... humans'?

Likewise, lions might think that lions are the best thing that ever happened...
And Nazis thought the tall blond man was the best thing that ever happened...
ocalhoun
anllyy wrote:
so what animal has longer life then human?

You'll find that the only way humans are better than every other animal is intelligence... And are we really going to devalue that intelligence by claiming that we're the best animal around while only using that one criteria to judge by?
guth75
Humans are so powerful because we are can hurt/kill from a distance, thats how me mainly survived.

Just a bit from History Clas Smile
Bikerman
guth75 wrote:
Humans are so powerful because we are can hurt/kill from a distance, thats how me mainly survived.

Just a bit from History Clas Smile

Hmm...strange thesis. The ability to kill reliably at a distance is a relatively new development and didn't really contribute to our survival as a species. It is only, arguably, over the last couple of millenia that we have had the means to kill at a distance. Sure bows and arrows go back somewhat further, but early examples had a very limited killing range for anything large enough to threaten physically.
I think the crucial factor in our survival was the development of language, not the development of spears and bows and arrows.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
Sure bows and arrows go back somewhat further, but early examples had a very limited killing range for anything large enough to threaten physically.

I'd think that spears would go back farther in time, and be more effective.

And survival of the species isn't only a defense-against-predators issue, getting food (hunting) is at least as important.

I wouldn't say the key is language per se, it would be the intelligence that led to tool use, cooperation, and passing learning down through generations. Language made two of these three things much easier, but isn't really the root cause of the success.
Bikerman
I disagree. Language is the vital first step in developing extelligence - a far more potent force than mere intelligence.
I don't believe that tool-use predates language, and without language there is almost no 'passing down' of skills and knowledge, apart from in a very limited, very inefficient manner by simple 'monkey see monkey do' imitation.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:

I don't believe that tool-use predates language, and without language there is almost no 'passing down' of skills and knowledge, apart from in a very limited, very inefficient manner by simple 'monkey see monkey do' imitation.

Funny that you should mention 'monkeys'...

And there are more non-lingual educational techniques than simply imitation... (Though imitation can work just fine for simple things.) Any animal you've seen trained to do all sorts of interesting tricks? They were taught to do that without any shared language.

I'm pretty sure that all three things I mentioned (tool use, cooperation, passing on learning) predate language.

(At least, they predate language as we're familiar with... Really, I'm pretty sure that 'language' developed very gradually from what we see animals using today to what we use today, simply adding in new sound combinations for new concepts to be expressed, beginning with extremely simple concepts like 'there's a predator coming!' and working towards complicated ones like the one I just typed.)
liljp617
What is "language?" I think the average person labels what animals (outside of humans) do today as language. Is that an incorrect label?
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
And there are more non-lingual educational techniques than simply imitation... (Though imitation can work just fine for simple things.) Any animal you've seen trained to do all sorts of interesting tricks? They were taught to do that without any shared language.
Yep, but the 'good trick' is not passed easily to other members of the species because imitation is very limited in scope - you have to be in the group and you have to observe the behaviour. Once language is developed, the 'good trick' can be passed quickly throughout the species.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that all three things I mentioned (tool use, cooperation, passing on learning) predate language.
Yes, clearly they do, but only to a very limited extent.
Quote:

(At least, they predate language as we're familiar with... Really, I'm pretty sure that 'language' developed very gradually from what we see animals using today to what we use today, simply adding in new sound combinations for new concepts to be expressed, beginning with extremely simple concepts like 'there's a predator coming!' and working towards complicated ones like the one I just typed.)
Well, that is one theory.
If you look at human history, you see a sudden 'spurt' in development about 100,000 - 50,000 years ago. Many theorists think that this is also the period during which 'proper' language evolved (ie moving from a 'pidgin' type set of sounds to a fully developed grammar and syntax).
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:

If you look at human history, you see a sudden 'spurt' in development about 100,000 - 50,000 years ago. Many theorists think that this is also the period during which 'proper' language evolved (ie moving from a 'pidgin' type set of sounds to a fully developed grammar and syntax).

But did language cause that spurt, or was language just part of that spurt of development?
It could just as easily have been the time they first started building their own shelters, or first tamed fire... Either of which would lead in turn to a bevy of new developments, all of which they would need words for.
pscompanies
Depending on whether we can sort out our genes so that we can have the same vibrancy we have in our twenties and thirties. These days they are doing wonders with genes and stem cells. Who knows, not to far from now they will be able to work with embryos so that we will have much better quality of life at an advanced age. Also work with gene therapy at the embryo stage to ensure no diseases etc. Perhaps they can drastically reduce medical bills for diseases, or who knows, instead of focusing research funds on researching disease, they could be investing funds to researching ways to design embryos so that there would be no disease, and/or grow organs for more regular transplant.
TBSC
spring567 wrote:

Yeah it's a shame that life is short, but there are ways to extend your lifespan...Smile
xxmassive
spring567 wrote:
but life is so short .

hoho, ho, This isn't right Life is huge and long. Where do you life Afrika? They don't life well because they don't have it good. Just have a good life then you will have a long life.
Cliffer
many animals have thoughts,can talk,talk and listen ,human is just one of them.
TBSC
Cliffer wrote:
many animals have thoughts,can talk,talk and listen ,human is just one of them.

Very true. Isn't it interesting that the more scientists study animals, the more evidence they find of us having their traits?
syj824
the Earth can't afford so many people if every one can't dead
Daja
We're just monkeys with a powerful consciousness compared to most animals, but it's still greatly weaker than the subconscious and it has relatively no control over it, hence we can't be objectively called 'intelligent'.

Emotions? all of them, they're just a basic survival instinct, that's definitely not what makes us "special" since all mammals have them.

I'd say that language is what let us progress this far.
mplankbball
I agree with ocalhoun, tool use had the most impact in our survival. Tools allow humans to live anywhere in the world while other animals are confined to certain regions. However, language accelerated our progress and we wouldn't be where we are at today without it.

[quote="Bikerman"]Yep, but the 'good trick' is not passed easily to other members of the species because imitation is very limited in scope - you have to be in the group and you have to observe the behaviour. Once language is developed, the 'good trick' can be passed quickly throughout the species.[quote]

However, most skills needed to survive would be taught within the family or community. In almost every case, it is easier to learn something through observation than words (obviously words win out when you can't see things). Language improves the quality of life rather than allowing it.
mukesh
spring567 wrote:

Not only human animals can also thoughts, can talk, talk and listen
Sw4k1ll4r
Thank god humans got high IQ's. Otherwise we would have been extinct Smile
Ankhanu
Why would we be extinct if we had lower IQ scores? I'm unaware of any data to support this claim.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
Why would we be extinct if we had lower IQ scores? I'm unaware of any data to support this claim.

Indeed. A lot of other primates have much lower IQ's, and some of them also managed to avoid extinction.
rogue_skydragon
Life is indeed short. That is all the more reason to live it to its fullest. Don't regret your decisions, act on impulse, be kind, and most of all be happy.
ocalhoun
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Don't regret your decisions, act on impulse,

If you always act on impulse, but never regret your decisions... well, you're likely to end up in either an asylum or a prison, depending on the society you live in and the nature of your impulses.

Spontaneity and lack of regret are great and valuable things, but they need to be tempered by reason and caution to be successful in any society... to survive at all, even.
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

But did language cause that spurt, or was language just part of that spurt of development?
It could just as easily have been the time they first started building their own shelters, or first tamed fire... Either of which would lead in turn to a bevy of new developments, all of which they would need words for.
This is where the palaeontology gets interesting. It was thought that big brain preceded walking upright, but more recent finds cast that into doubt. The famous 'Lucy' (3.3 mya), for example, walked upright but only had a brain capacity of about 500cc (1/3rd human). 'Ardi' - older (>4.4 mya) and a more recent find - is similarly small brained but bipedal. We can't say for sure if either was a direct ancestor, but it looks like Ardi might have been a common ancestors for us and chimps.
This is interesting because it has primates developing 'bipediality' (is there such a word?), then splitting into chimps, which go back to all-fours, and later hominids which develop large brains and stay bipedal.
malaysia
Human is not great, just better.
ocalhoun
malaysia wrote:

Better how?
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
malaysia wrote:

Better how?

Better than what?
malaysia
better than other creature, in term of self management, innovative,
if measure by capability, human are just too little..
Ankhanu
There are many organisms that are better than us at a great many things. For example, we're terrible photosynthesizers, terrible chemosynthesizers, terrible at spotting small mammals on the ground from 500m in the air, terrible at flying, terrible at climbing, terrible at running, terrible at... yeah, it goes on... there are fantastic examples of organisms that do all these things quite fantastically.

We're best at technology, sure... perhaps even best in language (maybe)... the rest, well, we're pretty mediocre creatures in a lot of ways. Language and technology are incredibly powerful things, of course Wink
ocalhoun
malaysia wrote:
better than other creature, in term of self management, innovative,

More innovative, perhaps... though there are certain other species that show pretty good problem solving skills, it probably is true that humans are more skilled in that area.

But better in self management? I kind of doubt it. I've personally seen* animals consciously suppress pain or fear the same way a human would -- which would suggest that 'self management' isn't unique to our species.

*It's a subtle thing, and you have to be very familiar with how to read the particular animal's emotions and expressions in order to notice it.
popo4512
spring567 wrote:

Yes, life is so short ,should treasure.
jws325
It's true that life is short. As we grow older, each year seems shorter and shorter: it's as if life begins at the top of a mountain and picks up speed as it rolls.

Since life is not very long, it's up to us to make the most of it. Don't let anything in the way of your dreams.
mukesh
Really human is great because we have 1st brain. By brain we can do everything which want.
ocalhoun
mukesh wrote:
Really human is great because we have 1st brain. By brain we can do everything which want.

But animals can do everything they want, too... and without so much brains.

The only difference there is that we want more than they do.
Klusner
So try to do some thing really special which could make your name alive till the ending of this world like STEVE JOB.The very recent example.
ocalhoun
Klusner wrote:
which could make your name alive till the ending of this world like STEVE JOB.

Till the end of this world?

He'll be forgotten within 200 years, except perhaps, in a few obscure references.
asnani04
Humans are not a rare species anymore. With 7 billion of us populating the Earth, it becomes a cause of concern that the rising population is continuously disturbing the ecological and environmental balance. This has to be in a better condition so that we may live longer and better lives, which are compatible with nature and its resources. Shocked
mengshi200
Human is great.I agree,but human is tiny before God.
zhybsc
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
spring567 wrote:

Agree. Human great. Me likey likey with hot sauce. Yum yum. Human tasty.

i can't find what is you mean,but maybe you agree human is great!
D'Artagnan
humans are not great at all... we have all that stuff you said is great but having consciousness and intelligence is only worth what we do with it.
we behave like a virus standing in our little cells , saying to ourselves that we are living our lives and we are good, but as a collective we are eating this world and destroying ourselves, we are violent, destructive and proliferate like a virus
emilyblack06
Reading all the posts in this forum makes me really think that human is great.

There's the differences of the opinion and the clashing of thoughts, and I think that makes human great. They belong in a sole world yet inclined to be different. TheIndividualityand unity of us.

Smile
Ankhanu
... I think I hate this thread. In the very least, I hate that it's in a science forum Razz
Bikerman
Yes, I've lost patience with it also.
CLOSED
Bikerman