FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SSD or hard drive ?

pll
What would you get ?
Do you prefer to pay (a lot more) for SSD drives or you prefer to stay with an oldie but goodie normal hard drive ?

SSD advantages :
-Low latency
-No noise
-Smaller size
Disadvantages :
-Cost
-Limited write /erase cycle
-Slower write speeds

I think, if I had money that I would opt for an SSD one. But I'm still doing fine with my old 160 gb hard drive (at least, until I get some money to put on that!).
Helios
SSD's aren't that much faster than a modern hard disk. Well, they are quite faster, but the price is not worth it yet. Eh, you got the point.

I will surely go for the SSD in the future, when they will improve its charactiristics - especially the write-erase cycle. Hopefully it will cost less too...
AftershockVibe
Limited write/erase cycle is no longer the case. Load balancing and newer tech means that you'll need to write to your SSD disk (non-stop!) for about 10 years before it actually wore out.
Jean-Clod
I have an SSD-netbook (who sais Asus? Laughing ), and I think SSDs are the future!
It definitely IS very fast, especially for random writing (most common HDD I/O); limited write/erase cycle isn't really as simple as that: SSDs tend to become very slow as you use them; however, you can bypass that sort of "wear", with some good piece of software (I use Diskeeper 2009: it has a SSD optimization technology), it has the SpeedyGonzales lightning speed of the freshly installed OS Very Happy I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but well, I feel my netbook much faster!

For more info visit that great (although very long Laughing ) article: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=1
pll
Jean-Clod wrote:

It definitely IS very fast, especially for

You see the difference between SSD and HDD ? (for the speed)
Is it easily noticeable ?
Helios
AftershockVibe wrote:
Limited write/erase cycle is no longer the case. Load balancing and newer tech means that you'll need to write to your SSD disk (non-stop!) for about 10 years before it actually wore out.

That's awesome, didn't know they already solved that problem. Can you provide a source where you got that info though?
ForceRun
I haven't heard anything like that. I personal prefer HDD right now, the high speed SSDs still cost way to much, but they should go down. I have the WD Velicoraptor it runs like a speed demon, Windows 7 boots under 30 secs, and is much faster than most SSD and only cost me $240 for 300GBs. If I had a high-end laptop I might consider a SSD, but not for my desktop as my Velicoraptor works great. Next HDD upgrade for me would be a second SSD for a RAID setup.
Jean-Clod
pll wrote:
You see the difference between SSD and HDD ? (for the speed)
Is it easily noticeable ?

Yes you see. I can't scientifically prove it, but well you feel it! Large file copying isn't very fast compared to a defragmented HDD, but the overall experience is better. However, the SSD become very slow when you use 60-70+ % of its capacity.
I don't know if the high-speed is just a placebo effect, but well, visit the link for more scientific information about it Idea
Daniel15
I think a good idea would be to have a SSD drive for the OS and applications, and a normal hard drive for everything else (documents, music, and so on). This means you get the loading speed of the SSD drive, and the large capacity of a normal hard drive. Normal hard drives are relatively cheap now, whereas SSDs are still expensive. Anyone else think this is a good idea?
froginabox
I have a normal hard drive in my laptop.

My personal server however is a different matter... (it's why you haven't seen me much here on the forums, I have been off trying to get it ready). It's got 3TB worth of SATA HDD storage, but another 64GB of SSD storage (yes it was a pretty penny, but it's MUCH faster). I run Xen, so the dom0 and some of the other important functions run on the SSD to avoid extra seeking times and head wear.
weableandbob
It all depends on what you're going to be doing. If you need to open a lot of applications quickly, or you game a lot, you might want to with a SSD, otherwise, I'd just stick with a standard hard drive. 1 Terabyte ones don't cost too much now Very Happy
KHO
SSD drives are more so useful for a laptop or some kind of mobile machine. This is because a SSD eliminates any kind of moving part within a hard drive. This allows them to endure strong vibrations, heat, altitude, and extreme shock (not electricity, but being dropped). As such, an SSD becomes incredibly viable in a laptop. Not to mention the fact that they produce substantially less heat, which allows them to actually be sealed allowing them to be submerged in water while sealed (personal project im working on for a PSP that can go underwater ^_^ ).

Also, for the new rise of computers submerged in oil, a solid state drive is the only way to go if you want to be able to submerge your HDD also. While these oils are non-conductive and wouldn't technically harm a regular HDD instantly, they do significantly slow the read write speed, and lead to severe fragmentation and gunk build up as the arm of the HDD reaches across the slowly moving platter.
Daniel15
Quote:
(personal project im working on for a PSP that can go underwater ^_^ ).

A bit offtopic, but that sounds awesome! Keep us up-to-date with that project, it sounds good Very Happy