FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ringing in ears...tinnitus?? help

funylinks2004
Hi, about 48 hours ago (this evening) I went to a concert and my ears were ringing. I was not surprised, but, my right ear ringing went away before i went to bed, while my left ear continues to ring. I was probably within 15 feet of the left speaker. I have generalized anxiety and am nervous that this could be tinnitus / permenant. About how many days would I wait before thinking that this ringing is permanant. And should this ringing go slowly away? or would i just wake up one morning and it would be gone? The right ear went slowly away, but the left ear sounds exactly the same as 2 days ago.
-Thanks
Bikerman
You need to wait a bit longer before getting too worried. One thing to bear in mind is that there is a relationship between anxiety and tinnitus - the more you worry, the more likely you are to continue to experience the symptoms. I know this is easy to say, and difficult to do something about, but I think it is important that you realise it. The chances that you have permanently damaged your hearing are small, but the more you worry the more likely the symptom is to remain. I would advise you to put it out of your mind, as much as possible, for a week or so, and then see where you are.

PS - I do know a bit about this - I have permanent tinnitus (from many years of abusing my hearing) and I certainly notice that it gets worse when I am stressed and much better when I am relaxed.
AftershockVibe
As Bikerman said, I wouldn't start worrying just yet. I've have a low level ringing for almost a week from doing more or less the same thing. It should fade eventually.
funylinks2004
So it's been 2 weeks and one day today (tonight) and the ringing in my ear has not gone down at all. I have noticed when I am stressed out that it gets worse, when I am relaxed it's not as noticable, does this sound like the damage is permanant? and that that ringing will never really fade away, but just be covered up by my hearing of outside things?
Bikerman
funylinks2004 wrote:
So it's been 2 weeks and one day today (tonight) and the ringing in my ear has not gone down at all. I have noticed when I am stressed out that it gets worse, when I am relaxed it's not as noticable, does this sound like the damage is permanant? and that that ringing will never really fade away, but just be covered up by my hearing of outside things?
Well, after two weeks then that is slightly more worrying. It is possible that, yes, the damage is permanent.
Don't panic just yet - you need to get yourself along for a hearing test. Here in the UK it costs about 20 quid for a full hearing test at a high-street outlet (make sure it is a qualified audiologist). This will test your hearing response across the frequency range. At the same time you should mention that you have tinnitus.
Visiting your GP is not much use in the first instance (they will only refer you on to an audiologist anyway), but it might be that the audiologist will refer you back to your GP for any further interventions/treatments.
funylinks2004
Hi, Thanks for your response, it helps a lot. I did have a hearing test done about 5 days after the concert when my ears starting ringing with a GP. And it turns out that I have very sensetive ears and very good hearing. They took the hearing tester down to 20 and I could still hear it...they said that 25 is 'normal' hearing, so 20 they said was better then average hearing. I still have pressure in my ears time to time, but it is not constant like how it used to be. When there is more pressure I think it is easier to hear the ringing, but still sometimes when there appears to be no pressure there is some ringing sometimes...I'm starting to think that this is permenant., The worst is trying to fall asleep or even watching tv sometimes when its really quiet and most noticeable. Does it sound permanent to you?
Bikerman
I wouldn't like to say.
As I said before, I have permanent tinnitus but that is after many years of abusing my own hearing. It is entirely possible that your own tinnitus will diminish and eventually vanish, but you should be prepared for the possibility that it will not. I really cannot give you any better or more accurate advice because I'm not an audiologist and, though I know a little about it, one should never give advice from a position of ignorance. I will, instead, provide a link to the British Tinnitus Association
http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/index.php?q=general+information
johannespilz
i suffer from the same since 2006.

i hate the comments by some people... my doctors told me that if i would have treatened it immediatly by an infusion, i could have radically changed it.

just take care in the future, buy earplugs for cocnerts and clubs. there are special ones that only reduce the bass or the sound level in general but dont disturb the music quality.

u will get used to it. i hope u only hear it in quiet surroundings (like me) - than it is not that hard to live with.

lets hope the find the sollution how to cure it..
Possum
I have slight tinnitus. I ignore it and it just goes away..

But do take better care of your hearing..