FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any body to Break the monopoly of microsoft?

cyberbuddy
Recently IBM has extended its hand over SUN Micro system to acquire it ...............

i think it will great change to software filed. i think IBM should work more closely on Solaris and java systems and beak the monopoly of Microsoft's over Operating system........

whats your opinion ?

thank u Very Happy Very Happy
ocalhoun
The good 'ol Microsoft competitor, Macintosh is doomed to migrate more to gadgets like phones and music players, methinks.
Linux though... Linux has been slowly and steadily taking users away from Microsoft for a long time now. Given enough time, this will eliminate Microsoft's monopoly, and replace it with a community-driven, open, and free system that comes in many different flavors.

Major obstacles to Linux:
-Hardware support: some hardware is not supported. This will become less of a problem as Linux becomes more popular, and hardware producers become more concerned about marketing to Linux users. Hopefully we'll start to see standardized drivers and hardware specifications become popular.

-3D graphics support: Partly due to graphics card producers not releasing source code or Linux drivers, this will also be overcome as hardware producers become concerned about the Linux market.

-Legacy support for Windows programs: Partly overcome already, but running windows programs is usually slow, often difficult, and sometimes impossible. This is improving as emulation software becomes more advanced though.

-Ignorant populace: With no large sums of money to advertise with, most of the public is unaware of Linux, and what it is. This information spreads mainly by word of mouth, which is one reason why Linux's market share is growing so slowly.

With computer manufacturers starting to offer Linux pre-installed (such as in the deal you mention, and Dell's Ubuntu-loaded machines), we are starting to see the beginning of the end of Microsoft's monopoly.
pll
Saw the new ads ?
In each 3 of the new video ads they say that we shouldn't get a mac.

I think that microsoft is getting scared of apple. They know that the day will come and they will lose the #1 place. They show for the first time of their history they show that they fear Apple.
Maybe this market will change in few years. Linux is coming more and more popular and I'm sure that a lot of new OS's will make their entry.
Diablosblizz
The ads where a person finds a laptop and gets payed for it? That's not really being scared, it's simply stating that Mac's are expensive. Just like all those years Mac had commercials about Windows, now Microsoft is retaliating. PC's will never die, they're simply the cheapest and for that they'll always win.

Unless Mac's come down in price, which I don't see happening. I'll stick to Windows.
redslazers
I think once cloud computing becomes a major thing and data can be transferred fast enough (example 4G), then apples smaller portable gadgets will defiantly win out across the cheaper windows based systems.

Once Linux has to reach the "tipping point" (which btw is a really good book) and installation is easy and driver support is wide spread then it could possible beat windows in the desktop market
Fire Boar
I don't really care how it happens, but so long as I see computer companies offering a choice of operating systems preinstalled and letting people know the advantages and disadvantages of each, and not just saying "We recommend Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium for home use" giving no reason or justification (the reason of course being because Microsoft are paying them to say that), I'll be happy. Since they're not... I make it a bit of a mission to let people who may be interested know about what I use, that it's not Microsoft and why.
leontius
The future lies on the internet. Soon we won't talk about which OS you use but rather which browser you use a lot more. Everything will be able to be done in the internet (we're moving towards this trend - see google docs, zoho, windows live, aviary.com). Linux will definitely prevail as people (and hopefully OEMs) will not want to buy expensive OS just to surf the internet and store some private stuff.

And the platform war will commence in the application level: do you use javascript+(x)html+dom, flash / flex / Adobe AIR, Java applet / JavaFX, Mozilla technologies, Silverlight, or anything else?
Diablosblizz
Isn't Apple already ruling the Mobile device "trend?" Almost everybody has an iPod, or iPhone. I would like to see a choice in OS's when you purchase it. Although I still use Windows, a mixture of Linux (Ubuntu I'd figure because it apparently being the easiest) would be pretty cool.

Hmm, maybe companies could start having dual boots, and have a program on either Windows or Linux to remove the other partition, or you could just leave it there. That would be interesting.
leontius
Diablosblizz wrote:
Isn't Apple already ruling the Mobile device "trend?" Almost everybody has an iPod, or iPhone.

Definitely not in my country (Asian one). World != America.
tocapa
I personally think it unlikely that anyone will break Microsoft's dominance within the next few years. Microsoft made a huge debacle of Vista, and yet still they carry on as the strongest in the software industry. Even if we are in a recession, the people are just too ill-informed and Linux simply does not have the power to overtake it. As for Apple, well they are more expensive, and in the current panic, people are going to go for something cheap without realizing the TCO will end up much higher.
menino
I think Microsoft wont go down easily, and that too very soon.
But Chrome coming out as an OS will be interesting.
Moreover, we will also see MOS (Mobile Operating Systems) coming out, which includes Windows Mobile 6.1 and Android Mobile OS's.
All in all, it is goo for us as consumers, as we will be spoilt for choices.
Jean-Clod
Break MS' monopoly, and what? another big one will do the same errors? No one's perfect, and everybody does mistakes: I don't think MS is the problem; the problem is the concept of "monopoly"
Fatally, the one that will dominate the others, if MS will ever lose its place (Apple? not everyone can afford it.. IBM? they really aren't interested in that sector, but that's my opinion Razz [they sold that PC division to Lenovo a while ago] Linux? efforts are too sparse.. see that bunch of OSes, each one doing a special "task" very well) the one that will dominate the others, I said, will do errors, maybe less, maybe more, than MS, because it's the leader, and each move can be disastrous.
Again, just a personal opinion!
leontius
Jean-Clod wrote:
Break MS' monopoly, and what? another big one will do the same errors? No one's perfect, and everybody does mistakes: I don't think MS is the problem; the problem is the concept of "monopoly"

I don't think so. In most other industries there are no monopoly as strong as Microsoft (like, 90% of market share). It is just too difficult to have that big a monopoly.
pscompanies
It will definitely happen, but over many many years.. Maybe a decade or century lol
HalfBloodPrince
I doubt anyone's going to scar Microsoft anytime soon in terms of OS. Browser? It's happening. Office suite? Maybe. Operating system? Windows is just too solid (the user base, not the OS itself) for 1 billion+ computer owners to just ditch what they've been using for decades. Sure, people who are interested in it might take that day to learn Linux after switching and dealing with the differences, but people in other professions who simply use their computer to get a certain task done don't care if their software is open source or proprietary, was developed by a community or corporation - it just doesn't make a difference to them.
leontius
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
I doubt anyone's going to scar Microsoft anytime soon in terms of OS. Browser? It's happening. Office suite? Maybe. Operating system? Windows is just too solid (the user base, not the OS itself) for 1 billion+ computer owners to just ditch what they've been using for decades. Sure, people who are interested in it might take that day to learn Linux after switching and dealing with the differences, but people in other professions who simply use their computer to get a certain task done don't care if their software is open source or proprietary, was developed by a community or corporation - it just doesn't make a difference to them.

Well it does make a difference if their workplace suddenly adopts this new shiny affordable OS in all office PCs. Then they may notice that this OS also gets things done with a much lower cost, and may look into this alternative when buying new PCs (hopefully there will be Linux choices out there then) or upgrading Windows.
weableandbob
Linux could be a big problem for Microsoft if there was a way to run a lot of the programs Windows can, particularly games. However, I'm sure there's some copyright problems with that, so I doubt it'll happen. The Chrome OS looks interesting though.
leontius
weableandbob wrote:
Linux could be a big problem for Microsoft if there was a way to run a lot of the programs Windows can, particularly games. However, I'm sure there's some copyright problems with that, so I doubt it'll happen. The Chrome OS looks interesting though.

Well let's hope on wine then Smile

I doubt that game producers would want to restrict usage of their games to windows only (by the way, it's not about copyright but about license). There's not advantage in doing that. Except maybe if microsoft sees that enabling games in linux is a threat and arrange so that game developers restrict non-windows usage of their games.
snowboardalliance
I'd love to see a real mac vs. pc commercial done by the linux community. And I mean one that is actually broadcasted on tv. Could be done through donations I think. I doubt it would be effective, I guess just cool.