FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Annoying optical mouse problem

jmraker
It seems that every optical mouse I've used on multiple computers (windows and linux) have the same problem. Every now when moving the mouse it jumps very fast to one of the 4 corners. I usually don't use a mouse pad

What is the problem, and is there a solution?
ForceRun
There could be several problems. Is it the same mouse, some mice will go bad.

What kind of mouse pad are you using? Optical mouse need a good mouse pad. Laser mice handle much smoother on other surfaces however.

Check your mouse setting in the system. I suggest turning off acceleration, and if you can, turn down your mouse resolution to help slow it down.

I personally will only use a laser mouse. They are much smoother, and responsive. And some like mine, the Micersoft Sidewinder, you can change the resolution on the fly, which can be helpful in gaming. Such as switching from a shotgun, which you want a high resolution so you can swing around fast, to a sniper rifle with a much lower resolution so you can get headshot easier.

Even for the non-gamer I suggest a laser mouse, they are that much better.
jmraker
It's been 3 mice, 2 at work, and one at home (linux) which needs replacing.

I've used 2 mice at work and just switched computers a month ago and the mouse still likes to jump around every now and then as it did over a year ago.

I don't have a mouse pad at work. I just use a wood looking desk (it's not shiny)
ForceRun
that is your problem, just use a really mouse pad or at least a piece of blank paper.
Helios
You should use a mouse pad, and it better be clean too.
Dirt on the surface and/or wrong color of the surface can cause this problem.
I had this problem until I got a nice and smooth blue pad (the LED on my mouse is red).