FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pres. Obama holds first White House Seder (Jewish Passover)

Do you support Pres. Obamas decision to hold Seder dinner?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Don't Care
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

libr8d
First time a US president holds a Seder - The Jewish religious Passover meal.

[quote=" Yahoo-AP " Obama invites close friends, staff to seder dinner. WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is inviting close friends and staff to a private White House meal Thursday to mark Passover, a signal that the new president intends to fulfill his promise that Jewish voters would have an ally.
[/quote]
Xanatos
I don't think that the white house should hold any religious events, period. I don't care if Obama has a passover meal himself or goes somewhere else with friends to do it, but it should not be done at the white house.

And how does this make him their ally? He pretends to celebrate their holiday. Okay, so far he hasn't done anything for them in my opinion.
Bikerman
LOL....does that include Christmas Dinner, Easter Eggs etc?
Frankly (as an atheist) I'm pretty relaxed about this. I once questioned a Muslim colleague of mine about his observance (or non observance) of Christian 'feasts' like Christmas, Shrove Tuesday and Easter. His response was - I love a good meal so bring it on. That, I think, is a healthy and sane attitude Smile
The fact is that most such events are shrouded in history, have been completely perverted (or at least hugely altered) from any original, and should be regarded with good humour and indulgence.
Solon_Poledourus
Xanatos wrote:
I don't think that the white house should hold any religious events, period. I don't care if Obama has a passover meal himself or goes somewhere else with friends to do it, but it should not be done at the white house.

That's where he lives. Where else is he supposed to do it?
I don't think it should be a big deal. If Obama wants to celebrate a holiday at his home(the White House), then so be it.
libr8d wrote:
...a private White House meal Thursday to mark Passover, a signal that the new president intends to fulfill his promise that Jewish voters would have an ally.

This is laughable. Does this mean that our Kenyan population has an ally as well? This kind of crap is why I hate our media.
Xanatos
Bikerman wrote:
LOL....does that include Christmas Dinner, Easter Eggs etc?
Frankly (as an atheist) I'm pretty relaxed about this. I once questioned a Muslim colleague of mine about his observance (or non observance) of Christian 'feasts' like Christmas, Shrove Tuesday and Easter. His response was - I love a good meal so bring it on. That, I think, is a healthy and sane attitude Smile
The fact is that most such events are shrouded in history, have been completely perverted (or at least hugely altered) from any original, and should be regarded with good humour and indulgence.

I largely agree with this. The issue I have with this particular event is that he was doing it to show some "good faith" to the Jewish people. I don't think that this kind of religious politics belongs in the White house.

And I think that since the White house is the seat of power for the U.S that the separation of church and state really should be enforced there.

Like I said previously, I don't care if Obama holds a passover meal for himself, his family, and his friends, since it is his house(I suppose), but this seems largely political, and therefore should be kept out of the White House.
Solon_Poledourus
Xanatos wrote:
Like I said previously, I don't care if Obama holds a passover meal for himself, his family, and his friends, since it is his house(I suppose), but this seems largely political, and therefore should be kept out of the White House.

Ahh... on that note I tend to agree then. Political/Religious pandering is something that I was hoping we would be mostly rid of after Bush.
ocalhoun
1:

Since freedom of religion applies to him just like anybody else, he can observe any holiday he feels like, especially in his own home.

2:

Huh? He's Jewish now?

3:

So much for trying to get closer to the Muslim world...
It may not end up mattering much, but it certainly won't help.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
1:

Since freedom of religion applies to him just like anybody else, he can observe any holiday he feels like, especially in his own home.

2:

Huh? He's Jewish now?

3:

Pictures speaking thousands of words! And agreed. Obama is sending out mixed messages. Yes he is right to have any celebration he wishes to have. But you can't please everyone and stay true at the same time. Obviously when people from the Middle East read about this, his ratings will drop significantly over here.

Perhaps it would have been better not to publicize it as much, or to stay away from celebrations such as these. How sincere are they anyway, I thought Obama was Christian?
jmi256
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
1:

2:

Huh? He's Jewish now?

3:

Pictures speaking thousands of words! And agreed. Obama is sending out mixed messages. Yes he is right to have any celebration he wishes to have. But you can't please everyone and stay true at the same time. Obviously when people from the Middle East read about this, his ratings will drop significantly over here.

Perhaps it would have been better not to publicize it as much, or to stay away from celebrations such as these. How sincere are they anyway, I thought Obama was Christian?

I agree with you guys on a few levels. First of all he's free to observe whatever religious holidays he wants to. Just because he's on government grounds he shouldn't lose that right. Second of all, he is also sending mixed messages to the Muslim world, which if we're honest HATES the Jewish people and their religion. I personally think he was trying to pander to Israel and Jews. It seems like he thinks they'll forgive and forget all the slaps in the face he's sent Israel's way if he just holds a Seder.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
I personally think he was trying to pander to Israel and Jews. It seems like he thinks they'll forgive and forget all the slaps in the face he's sent Israel's way if he just holds a Seder.
Exactly, my take on it too. Except I can't imagine it impressed people from Israel as they know he is not Jewish, there may even be a case against him for doing something like this when he is obviously not Jewish? Also, given that it most likely did not impress Jewish people, it comes at an expensive price when Moslems heard about it in terms of his ratings with them. I would have thought it would have been much more prudent to stay completely neutral to any religion or specific beliefs.
Bikerman
LOL...why does anything think that Obama is trying to 'woo' the Israelis? If the US says 'jump', Israel asks 'how high?'
The balance of power in the relationship is almost entirely one way.
Now, it may be that Obama is trying to keep the Israeli population 'on side' because he is intending a serious attempt at a new peace process, and he realises that the current Israeli government is pretty much intent on ditching the current accords - in which case good luck to him.
Nick2008
He's the president, it's not like he's going to come here and view our posts so he can made decisions (but I wish).

He can do whatever his soul tells him to do. All I know he's confusing all of us.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
LOL...why does anything think that Obama is trying to 'woo' the Israelis?
I don't think that Israel was the target. The target was Jewish people in the United States. Guess come August the White House will be doing some Ramadan fasting. Rolling Eyes
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
I don't think that Israel was the target. The target was Jewish people in the United States. Guess come August the White House will be doing some Ramadan fasting. Rolling Eyes

This interests me. Is the Jewish vote so important to win-over? I thought the Jewish population in the US was about 2%, mostly concentrated in the North-East and California. Perhaps the fact that US Jews tend to be democrats makes the vote more important to him?
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

This interests me. Is the Jewish vote so important to win-over? I thought the Jewish population in the US was about 2%, mostly concentrated in the North-East and California. Perhaps the fact that US Jews tend to be democrats makes the vote more important to him?
Right, but probably this is a powerful 2% in terms of funding for various campaigns and powerful influence in American politics. The Jewish lobby has always had a tremendous impact on Capitol Hill and in the White House. Perhaps the article below gives an extreme view and I don't necessarily agree with the negative tone in it, but it at least contains factual information on how powerful Jewish Americans are in politics in the US. They represent a very meaningful 2%:

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=7287/
Bikerman
The link doesn't work for me and, judging by the content of the main page on the site, that is perhaps a good thing.
That particular site seems a collection point for every wacky conspiracy theory I have ever heard of, and a lot I haven't. Not only would I take anything on the site with a large pinch of salt, I would want mustard, pepper and tomato sauce to follow.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
The link doesn't work for me and, judging by the content of the main page on the site, that is perhaps a good thing.
That particular site seems a collection point for every wacky conspiracy theory I have ever heard of, and a lot I haven't. Not only would I take anything on the site with a large pinch of salt, I would want mustard, pepper and tomato sauce to follow.
I did say that there was a negative tone in it, but they did give a good factual overview of the American Jewish power in Government if you are savvy enough to work through the extremist parts in it. If I find more time later I will try and locate more objective articles. Fact remains that quite a large percentage of the wealthy in the United States are Jewish Americans and being influential in Government of course has benefits for creating more wealth:
http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=7287
Think this link is in better shape as I have just tested it.

I am a great admirer of Israel and Jewish people in general, so of course the sentiments expressed in the article are definitely not my own. What I do know is that they wield lots of power and are of the most powerful networkers in the world. I grew up as a witness of this in South Africa, particularly Johannesburg.

The following people in the Clinton Administration were Jewish:

Quote:

Secretary of State – Madeleine Albright
Secretary of the Treasury – Robert Rubin
Secretary of Defense – William Cohen
CIA chief – George Tenet
Head of National Security Council – Samuel Berger
Secretary of Agriculture – Dan Glickman
Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board – Alan Greenspan
Health Care Chief – Sandy Kristoff
Head of Voice of America – Evelyn Lieberman
Under Secretary of State for Europe – Stuart Eisenstat