FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A new idea in taxes.

ocalhoun
So, here's the facts that led up to my idea:
1: The government spends more than 60% of the money I give it on various charitable donations to the unfortunate.
2: I can claim tax deductions for all charitable donations.

Therefore, why shouldn't I be able to claim on my tax forms a charitable donation in the amount of 60% of the taxes I paid in the previous year?
After all, the money went directly to charitable causes.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
So, here's the facts that led up to my idea:
1: The government spends more than 60% of the money I give it on various charitable donations to the unfortunate.
2: I can claim tax deductions for all charitable donations.

Therefore, why shouldn't I be able to claim on my tax forms a charitable donation in the amount of 60% of the taxes I paid in the previous year?
Yeah well we know that budgets rarely directly match expenditures. The Governement lists what it wants in the budgets, and spends totally differently, and all the paperwork and accounts are completely creative so that you just can't figure out where the one begins and where it finally ends up in the expenditure side. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. At the beginning of the year there was a MAJOR robbery in cahoots with the banks of 1.2-trillion, that probably no one will see a matching set of account statements of where the 1.2-trillion is and exactly where it went. What everyone can definitely bank on is a worse deficit than ever before.
Xanatos
Because that would make too much sense. Which brings me back to the idea of a flat tax......
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:

Haha, this did make me smile, I totally understand what you mean, but I like your sense of humour more!

We've gotta have taxes forced on a society somewhere really because not enough people would be generous enough to help all the people that need it, lets be honest.

20 pence of every Pound£ I earn above £540.00 in a month gets taken from me in taxes, and a further deduction of 11% gets taken out of my pay called "National Insurance" which is a tax really, but it was set up in the 1940's to fund the National Health Service and Sickness Benefit payments.
Yes its annoying, but I'd rather pay it than see kids in my society unable to afford a doctor because their parents are poor.

Smile
TentativeChaos
I think that we should do away with income tax and all the controversy that comes along with it. Instead lets just have a larger sales tax (not on food though so it won't hurt the poor/starving) then it's as simple as this:

-If you buy a lot of crap, you have to give the government a bunch of money
-If you don't buy a lot of crap (or buy mostly food) you only have to give a little to the government

And as an added bonus you can get rid of the hulking inefficient tax collection system (or at least cut it down to a more reasonable size) because the government now only has to collect the sales tax that businesses take in. They don't have to worry about individuals not paying taxes.
standready
You mean you want a deduction for charitable contributions the government makes to the banks and auto companies? You funny!
I think there should be a federal flat income tax rate and NO deductions - period! Pay on every dollar you make the same percentage whether you make billions or pennys. Imagine the simple tax forms we would have. Imagine how people would not be require anymore to handle an unfair tax code. States should do the same.
I know, I know, I'm dreaming. Those rich people are not going to give up their massive deductions that allows them to pay less (percentage wise) than common folk. Did you know that Warren Buffet pays less (percentage wise) than his employess?
kerryworkman
I think that we should just do away with the government all together. No government, equals no taxes of any kind. Then all we have to do is to figure out how to deal with all the chaos and anarchy that follows.
deanhills
kerryworkman wrote:
I think that we should just do away with the government all together. No government, equals no taxes of any kind. Then all we have to do is to figure out how to deal with all the chaos and anarchy that follows.
Maybe a compromise of much less Government would be less chaotic. Also the individual States should be more responsible for their own expenditures and less of a burden on the Federal Government, because everything that is done by Federal Government is usually obscured and hidden by a few layers of bureaucracy so that one can't really see where the payments are coming from or going to. To start off with, Government should force the BIG banks that have just been bailed out, to split up in smaller banks, so that everyone can see exactly what their financials are about. Also smaller banks would have less of a chance to pose danger to large numbers of people when they fail.
standready
They let several smaller banks go under (ie bankrupt). The big banks with their "corrupt-tributions" to politicians just went "bank corrupt".
deanhills
standready wrote:
They let several smaller banks go under (ie bankrupt). The big banks with their "corrupt-tributions" to politicians just went "bank corrupt".
Good way of putting it. Those will be the Government politicians of course who are acting in the interest of the economy? Twisted Evil
PatTheGreat42
I always wonder why government employees pay taxes, because they're paid with tax money, which the government just takes back again. Weird.
matam
If you like a lower tax, you can move to another country which is low tax policy.
deanhills
matam wrote:
If you like a lower tax, you can move to another country which is low tax policy.
Excellent idea! Quite a number of countries will allow you to work in a foreign country without having to pay tax to them.