FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why you don't swim in muddy water in the South US

ocalhoun
Because that's where these live:

^.^
There's your random animal for the day!
Its the only animal in the area I come from that I'm really afraid of.
jabce85
that is amazing! the only thing around these parts that gets that size are the catfish by the lock and dam on the ohio in southern indiana. exactly what type of turtle is that?
Solon_Poledourus
I think it's a giant snapping turtle, but I could be wrong.
I haven't been in fresh water since I left Arizona. Now I live in Florida, and not only do we have turtles that can castrate you, but we have dinosaurs too. Damn gators everywhere. I have never had much fear of wildlife; seen wild wolves up close, used to catch snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, etc. But gators and huge turtles - I don't mess with them.
ocalhoun
jabce85 wrote:
exactly what type of turtle is that?

It's an alligator snapping turtle. This specimen is very large, but not record-breaking. The confirmed record holder is 240+ pounds, though larger, unconfirmed, ones have been reported. Luckily, ones over 100 pounds are rare, and females only grow to around 50 pounds. (Though even a 50 pound one is definitely not something you want to swim with.)
They can live to over 100 years old, and are quite capable of instantly removing a hand or foot.
On land, they're dangerous, but in murky water, they're terrifying and invincible.
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I have never had much fear of wildlife; seen wild wolves up close, used to catch snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, etc. But gators and huge turtles - I don't mess with them.

Gators will usually run away, so I don't worry about them, but these turtles... They'll just sit still and hide. And if you get too close to where they're hiding... *chomp* instant amputation. Then, if you don't get good medical help very soon, you'll bleed to death, or get very bad infections.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Gators will usually run away, so I don't worry about them,

My fear of gators is irrational and primal. I've had a few close encounters, but never been truly threatened by any. Yet, my heart starts pounding when I see them up close, and I run about 90% adrenaline. I have no idea why this happens, it's weird.
ocalhoun wrote:
but these turtles... They'll just sit still and hide. And if you get too close to where they're hiding... *chomp* instant amputation. Then, if you don't get good medical help very soon, you'll bleed to death, or get very bad infections.

A friend of mine who is a paramedic had pictures he took of a guy who got chomped in the leg by a pretty big turtle, it looked like someone just cut out a 6" long wedge-shaped section of his upper leg. Pretty brutal stuff.
PatTheGreat42
That's definately a good reason. Those buggers will bite your feet right off.
deanhills
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I've never seen any before, and did not even realize they actually existed. Perhaps Hollywood has missed out on it too? I can see a good scary movie with these guys in it.Smile
jwellsy
I wonder if that monster was caught while some good ole boys were out noodling for catfish. Those southern boys know how to party!
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I've never seen any before, and did not even realize they actually existed. Perhaps Hollywood has missed out on it too? I can see a good scary movie with these guys in it.Smile

Yeah... Supposedly one was caught once that weighed over 400 pounds, though it was never proven. The 'based on a true story' movie of that would make a great low-budget horror/thriller.

Not surprising that you've never seen any before though... There's not anything like them anywhere else in the world, and they're reclusive and hard to find even where they do live.
pho3nixsky
Why does it look a bit off compared to most other alligators/crocs?
Solon_Poledourus
pho3nixsky wrote:
Why does it look a bit off compared to most other alligators/crocs?

Because it's a turtle.
gandalfthegrey
I did not know that.
Crazy_Canuck
OMG! You guys are freaking me out. We have some cute little snapping turtles up here in our lakes, but I'm pretty sure nothing like this!!

It looks positively prehistoric and very scary.

Shocked
driftingfe3s
Wow, thats crazy! I didn't know there were species of snapping turtle that got that big.

Snapping turtles are crazy too, if you search youtube for pigeon and turtle, you can find a video of a snapping turtle grabbing a pigeon and dragging it into the water to eat.
watersoul
WOW Man, thats a beast!! Shocked

We've got nothing dangerous in the UK really, our only poisonous snake will just make an adult a bit poorly really, the most scary things in freshwater are usually abandoned shopping trolley/carts, and in the ocean we mainly get visited by Basking Sharks which have no teeth anyway - you might get a graze or scratch from their rough skin!
wellerchap
watersoul wrote:

We've got nothing dangerous in the UK really, our only poisonous snake will just make an adult a bit poorly really, the most scary things in freshwater are usually abandoned shopping trolley/carts, and in the ocean we mainly get visited by Basking Sharks which have no teeth anyway - you might get a graze or scratch from their rough skin!

It's the people in modern-day Britain we've to worry about.....the scumbags in our society do more than enough to see to that.
Send that turtle into any of our towns at 11pm on a friday night and it wouldn't have a chance with our drunken teenagers! Evil or Very Mad
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
watersoul wrote:

It's the people in modern-day Britain we've to worry about.....the scumbags in our society do more than enough to see to that.
Send that turtle into any of our towns at 11pm on a friday night and it wouldn't have a chance with our drunken teenagers! Evil or Very Mad

It would be out of its element... Put those drunken teenagers in the water with it, and we'll see what happens... Twisted Evil
furtasacra
ocalhoun wrote:
It's the only animal in the area I come from that I'm really afraid of.

Thank you, so much, now I'm even MORE afraid of them - I didn't know alligator turtles GOT that big. I live in Florida, but the biggest one I've ever seen in the creek next to my house was about two feet long, not including the tail, and that's big and scary enough. Those suckers are MEAN, and it's amazing how fast they can move when they decide they are offended by your existence. I honestly think those turtles are more aggressive than actual gators.

However, I have had a little baby alligator in my toilet, and believe me, that was more than a little disconcerting. (Read that, it's funny.) Who still wants to retire in Florida?
Insanity
And swimming in those rivers were scary enough already... then they throw in these crazy things.
jabce85
thanks for the info on the type of turtle.. i still can't believe how big that thing was