FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android versus Windows Mobile

Ghengis
I have a HTC Hermes / TyTN (branded AT&T 8525) on T-Mobile right now. It's nice, and I've found a few programs I really like on it, but it's not perfect. It's a bit sluggish, and I think I could use more RAM -- Opera and other bulky programs can take forever to start, and I can't run more than one program of that nature at once.

I'm going to be moving, and T-mo coverage in that area might be spotty. Even if it's not, I'm thinking of taking out a new contract, and that means phone discounts. So I've been looking at my new options, and I'm torn between looking for another WinMo smartphone, or trying a G1. Android looks really nice, and the unit I got to play with at the T-mo store was a joy to hold. But it's a younger OS, and not as many developers have experience with it. The app store is a good idea, but I'm concerned that it could fizzle out before it reaches "critical mass".

Do any of you have experience with both operating systems? Would I like WinMo more if I had a "beefier" phone? I was looking at the Touch Pro (Fuze on AT&T), which has a faster processor, better 3D chip, more RAM/ROM, etc. Will I love Android? In theory I like that I can write programs in my current "pet language", C#, on the WM platform, but in practice I haven't actually done anything serious with it yet. I've seen a few cool Android apps, but no showstoppers.
Ghengis
Forgot to mention: I don't have a really tight timeline, so if it makes a big difference I can wait a month or two for WM 6.5 to drop -- I hear it's supposed to be a pretty significant upgrade from 6.1. It would be really cool if I could get a "forward thinking" device that will be upgradable to 7.0 when it drops.
Fire Boar
Andriod is very nice, certainly, and it's noticeably faster than Windows Mobile. I think you'll like it, but then I don't know you so I don't know if you will or not!
Ghengis
I'm kinda-sorta adding another possibility to the mix. I might start doing iPhone development, in which case of course I'd need to get one of those. I really hate that it doesn't have buttons (Steve Jobs needs to look up "proprioception" in the dictionary) but the app store is making tons of money and the hardware really is quite powerful....

I'm going to have a tough decision ahead of me.
misterXY
Ghengis wrote:
I'm kinda-sorta adding another possibility to the mix. I might start doing iPhone development, in which case of course I'd need to get one of those. I really hate that it doesn't have buttons (Steve Jobs needs to look up "proprioception" in the dictionary) but the app store is making tons of money and the hardware really is quite powerful....

but theres more competition u'll have to face, even the big dogs ie major companies, are making programs and what not, l hate iphone, itouch, iwhatever. Android all the way Smile none in Canada though Mad
zygote-hotelomega
I just bought a HTC Pharos running Windows Mobile 6.5 and I'm not impressed. It seems very clunky to me and the ActiveSync function isn't computable with Vista even though it's their latest mobile os on a 2009 phone! Very annoying
hunnyhiteshseth
If had choice I would definitely go for Android. The main avantage of Android is its focus on user-experience. Infact in android, control of lifecycle of an application is not with developer but with the Android! Hence, no application could possible hang the phone.(The thing i hate the most!)
zygote-hotelomega
Just to update my little tale, I took that phone back and spent the extra to get a Nokia 5800. It runs on Symbian (so I still haven't tried Android) but it's fantastic. Very responsive and user friendly and fast and the handwriting recognition is excellent. Glad I spent the extra though now I'm pretty poor...
weableandbob
Android because it's not microsoft =P Also, I've just heard a lot more good things about it than windows mobile.
misterXY
misterXY wrote:
Ghengis wrote:

but theres more competition u'll have to face, even the big dogs ie major companies, are making programs and what not, l hate iphone, itouch, iwhatever. Android all the way Smile none in Canada though Mad

JUNE 6 BOTH MAGIC AND DREAM ARE COMING!!!!!!!! Very Happy
gtoroap
I wanna be a Android developer, but I dont find useful info about this platform, could somebody send me a related info about frameworks, IDE or anything to start programming under Android?
hunnyhiteshseth
@gtoroap -- I guess android's official documentation is a great start for newbies. Or you can start with anddev.org
Phinx
Well, Windows platform is more mature, but it does not in any way means it is better. Just as mentioned, often sluggish and somewhat resource-hungry can sometimes scare away a customer. In general, people are used to Windows platforms, in phone and PC's that is why it is rather scary for many to make a leap towards something absolutely new, sometimes fear to make a big change being the primary factor in choosing a new phone. Compatibility issues, software amount and so on, are still affecting the average user.

Android, in contrast to Win platform, is open-source, meaning unlike with Microslop, there will be much more people involved in development and improvements will come quickly. Software will probably fall down like rain, since some of the phone manufacturers will include kits for writing your own programs and mess about with the core of the phone itself. Also, though this is far fetched, open-source policy might also affect the price of the phones, making them slightly cheaper. Add the advantage in speed over Windoors and you have an alternative that is worth looking in to.
joe_b
I moved from a phone running Windows Mobile to Android and I've been very happy with my change. As Android gets more developers the situation should continue to get better. Windows mobile seemed to be more sluggish and I frequently had to restart my phone.
hunnyhiteshseth
Phinx wrote:
Also, though this is far fetched, open-source policy might also affect the price of the phones, making them slightly cheaper.

This is infact is not far fetched. The Mobile OS & software do, actually, make a significant contribution to price of a phone.
Fire Boar
joe_b wrote:
I moved from a phone running Windows Mobile to Android and I've been very happy with my change. As Android gets more developers the situation should continue to get better. Windows mobile seemed to be more sluggish and I frequently had to restart my phone.

Uh... wow. Restart your phone? I guess it's truly the Windows we all know and either hate or love (or somewhere between the two).
Ghengis
To be fair, I had to restart my Palm at least twice a week, sometimes twice a day. It's not just Microsoft's problem...

Android looks great; it's more responsive, and I love that the software is all open source. My two main concerns are a) that there's exactly one phone you can get with it; if you don't like that phone, tough luck, and b) as someone above said, by virtue of sheer maturity there's many more apps for WinMo. This can be self-perpetuating -- people buy WinMo because it's got apps; people write apps for WinMo because it's so popular. Ad infinitum. iPhone broke the model because it had Apple's marketing machine behind it (and, let's face it, it's pretty and it works well). Can Google do that with the Android? Well... when was the last time you saw an Android commercial? I can't remember either...
stradlater51
I've gotta suggest going with Android. The only problem you may encounter is the lack of Exchange support.

If you live in the Google ecosystem, there is no contest between Android and WinMo. The Gmail app is fantastic, and fast and all the other Google integration works extremely well.
Ghengis
How does everybody (who has Android) like the Reader support? I've been looking for good Reader support on WinMo and it's just not there. I'm a bit of an information addict, so for the short term I adopted a sub-optimal strategy (some feeds in Reader, less important ones in PocketRSSReader for WinMo). Obviously, that's not great for the long term.
misterXY
Ghengis wrote:
To be fair, I had to restart my Palm at least twice a week, sometimes twice a day. It's not just Microsoft's problem...

Android looks great; it's more responsive, and I love that the software is all open source. My two main concerns are a) that there's exactly one phone you can get with it; if you don't like that phone, tough luc..

Not in Canada, Rogers came out with Dream and Magic? The US one and UK one now UK is coming with a 2nd l've heard?
Ghengis
I had not heard about the Magic, but losing the hardware keyboard... no thanks! I love my TyTN because the keyboard makes text entry so easy -- I could never get used to fiddly no-tactile-feedback soft input devices.
hunnyhiteshseth
I heard recenlty that even sony ericcson is also coming out with an Android based mobile phone. So, I guess Android ecosystem is now expanding!
aningbo
i really wanna experience google android. so far, nobody has come up with a reasonably price android phone.

i have my windows mobile phone Asus p320 as cheap as 100$ with 8GB Memory card! i wish android also comes out like this one too! why doesnt the manufacturers make it at a reasonble price tag?
hunnyhiteshseth
I guess thats because unlike other mobiles like iphone that have exclusive contract with a particular operator like AT&T which subsidize the phone, its not so with Android.
sourojit
Android will bring an evolution in mobile os world.One of my friend's downloaded the linux mod to android and has made a live cd also.
i heard that android can run in any hardware environment according to the needs. that's great if it is true. It will make less load on mobile processors and we have to wait a bit for android to develop so we can see what complete change it brings in mobile experience.
clydejaw
Does any one have a nokia 5800? and if so, has anyone tried to install the android platform on it? I'm thinking of buying a new phone soon and running android on it to play with some of the source codes. It's either the nokia 5800 or the LG KU990?
Tphilakone
clydejaw wrote:
Does any one have a nokia 5800? and if so, has anyone tried to install the android platform on it? I'm thinking of buying a new phone soon and running android on it to play with some of the source codes. It's either the nokia 5800 or the LG KU990?
is nokia 5800 running symbian os right ? But i didnt hear thats symbian can install android platform and im not sure is it possible or not
Ghengis
Well, I don't think the idea is so much that the android platform can run *on Symbian*, it's that the Android OS can run on any hardware, in theory, if it's supported. Now, in *practice*, that's probably not going to happen -- mobile manufacturers zealously guard the specs for their hardware, making it exceedingly difficult to write drivers for everything. That's why it's pretty rare to see total OS rewrites for a given phone, and also why it's so hard to go from an OS written for Phone A to making it work on Phone B, even if they're pretty closely related.