FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nintendo DSi

Deathspawn989
This thing is sweet. I'll just give you my 5-star rundown of it. First off, the cameras. They are nice cameras. (I don't have any good ones to show off at the moment, but when i get one, I'll post it here.)

You can play with anything using one lens. There is another lens for graffiti, along with 8 other lenses.

There is a nice sound application that you can put .mp4 files onto an SD card and they play very nicely on the DSi's speakers as well as an external sound source. In fact, this thing is about as good as an iPod. You can also record little sounds to use in mixing into your music.

When you get this, before the month of October, Nintendo is running a 1000 point thing for registering your system and linking it. There is a browser application (I'll get to that later) and there are a few applications available to download, and more will be added.

The browser is free, and made by Opera, but compared to the older browser that was released for the DS, this thing runs faster than anything. It is very easy to operate and allows you to switch between 3 different views, which are all easy to read. You can even view this forum on it.

Now, it also has compatibility with the older DS's and games. In fact, all of my many games work. The Wi-Fi hasn't changed for the older games. They still use the same 3 connections and use either no security or WEP. For Nintendo DSi only games, there are 3 other settings that include WPA internet security. This is NOT compatible with the older DS games.

"Can my games still connect to Wi-Fi: Yes, through WEP or open security."

Also, there is pictochat on this (Which includes a super-secret pen color for DSi users :O ), and a fully compatible DS Download app on here too. In fact, if you keep your old DS/ DS Lite, you can transfer all of your internet settings to your new DSi and be set, which saves you some work of configuring your internet/losing your friend code data.

I seriously cannot find anything wrong with this system, other than the fact that it isn't compatible with flash carts, R4, and Action Replay. But, that will just keep away cheaters for some time.

My Rating: 5 Stars out of 5. I'd suggest you get one. You won't regret it.
j00gotpwnd
I would really like to buy a DSi, but being in college and without a job...I can't justify the purchase. I will live with my black DS Light Smile. Glad to hear it's awesome!
ddukki
j00gotpwnd wrote:
I would really like to buy a DSi, but being in college and without a job...I can't justify the purchase. I will live with my black DS Light Smile. Glad to hear it's awesome!
I gotta agree. I don't think the $170 price tag justifies a totally new handheld if you already have the DS lite. I'm sure the new DSi games will become progressively better, but for now, it's just too early to get one. Maybe in about 6 months, the buy will be justified with a good game library, but now, developers need to get a handle on how to utilize all the new stuff.

Now that's only if you already have a DS. If you don't, the extra $40 doesn't seem like so much for the new features. I heard the built-in browser is super efficient compared to the old one and the UI is much more intuitive. The SD card slot you mentioned is a plus, and it'll definitely open up new advantages for homebrew if someone can get a hack in.

But again, I'll probably wait at least a year before I decide if I want to buy one.
Smiddie
I think it's a rip of the PSP. The PSP was the first one with: a musicplayer, play video's, browse the internet. The first Ds didn't have anything of that.

I don't buy the new DSi. I'll use my PSP
catscratches
Multimedia and the Internet isn't exactly new technologies so I can hardly see how it's a rip-off.
mafialive
Not planning on getting the DSi it is too little to late I already own four DS systems now and this one is just the same thing with added on features that don't really matter. This is just Nintendo's attempt at copying other systems that have already released this technology. I find it funny how long it took them to release this junk. Sorry Nintendo but this could have been used in your other older models this is not really important of an update.
mafialive
Edit sorry for the double post my computer just acted up.
amperx
yeah im definitely gonna buy one when i have extra Very Happy
Spartan
Hey, this seems pretty cool! What popular games are on this one?
QrafTee
There is no justification to picking a DSi up over a DS Lite. I wish Nintendo tried harder than just adding SD support, two cameras--one sub-par, and removing the GBA slot.
LostOverThere
QrafTee wrote:
There is no justification to picking a DSi up over a DS Lite. I wish Nintendo tried harder than just adding SD support, two cameras--one sub-par, and removing the GBA slot.

Yeah, well the problem here is that its not meant to be an all new console. The DSi is what the DS Lite was to the DS, or the the GBA SP was to the GBA. So because of that, they couldn't just release a brand new console. But on the same token, they had to do something to warrant a purchase.
eday2010
At $200 Canadian, I am not buying a DSi for a long while. I have a perfectly functioning DS Lite, and until they release a compelling game that is DSi only, I have no reason to get a DSi except for having another nifty gadget.
enygmasoft
eday2010 wrote:
At $200 Canadian, I am not buying a DSi for a long while. I have a perfectly functioning DS Lite, and until they release a compelling game that is DSi only, I have no reason to get a DSi except for having another nifty gadget.

That is precisely what I am wainting for, since the games for the ds and dsi are exactly the same.
pho3nixsky
No gba slot whats with that. it's ok and all, but i wouldve liked a new handheld than an upgrade of the ds from nintendo. No gba slot whats with that. it's ok and all, but i wouldve liked a new handheld than an upgrade of the ds from nintendo.
Mudkipdw
I really want one fo these its just do i buy it or sell my DS and use the money to help buy it...(Is it begining to become a PSP)!! Very Happy
QrafTee
LostOverThere wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

Yeah, well the problem here is that its not meant to be an all new console. The DSi is what the DS Lite was to the DS, or the the GBA SP was to the GBA. So because of that, they couldn't just release a brand new console. But on the same token, they had to do something to warrant a purchase.

Well that's the problem... why don't they introduce a new handheld? Out of ideas from the "innovation giant?"

They're just tacking on quick add-ons and selling it for profit. The DS Lite's step from the DS "Phat" was huge. No longer did the unit look like a toy, now it looks sleeker and it actually fits in your pocket. The stylus was lengthened so it can now be properly used. The screen is brighter so playing during the day wouldn't be as much as a hassle as before.