FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

disinfection of needles...

ciureanuc
Hello,
I bought some Glycemia tests - that ones used on a "Blood Glucose Monitoring System" - glucometer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter ).
10 people are interested to do the test. They must "produce" a drop of blood from their finger ...
Because I have just a single needle, I was wondering what other quick solutions I have?

Ten new ballpoint needles that I keep for 2 hours in pure surgical spirit (alcohol) and throw them out after use ... how safe it will be?
mikakiev
Needles will get blunt after sterilization.Should have disposable syringe needles,They are good.
8166UY
Here in the Netherlands you have the right to get such a test for free every year at your generalist. Just get them to go to theirs. Or let them buy a disposable at the official site of diabetes or something like that. They are under the 10 euro's.
AftershockVibe
These tend to be called "lancets" (in the UK anyway) because needles implies to most people that something is being injected. You can probably buy more wherever you got the glucose testing kit.

A futher problem here is that lancets and needles do not stay sharp - they graudally wear away so that using them becomes painful. Really you want to just get a packet and then you won't need to worry about sterilisation.

However, if you really want to sterilise then surgical spirit will do the job. Assuming these are made of just metal and plastic, boiling will probably work just as well since nothing you are sterilising is vulnerable to heat.
deanhills
ciureanuc wrote:
Hello,
I bought some Glycemia tests - that ones used on a "Blood Glucose Monitoring System" - glucometer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_meter ).
10 people are interested to do the test. They must "produce" a drop of blood from their finger ...
Because I have just a single needle, I was wondering what other quick solutions I have?

Ten new ballpoint needles that I keep for 2 hours in pure surgical spirit (alcohol) and throw them out after use ... how safe it will be?
You should be very careful with re-using needles. Much better to get disposable ones, and if you ask around you may even be able to get them free. They can't be that expensive either.
8166UY
I agree, virusses don't vanish with heat. And guess what Hepititis and HIV are...
Bikerman
8166UY wrote:
I agree, virusses don't vanish with heat. And guess what Hepititis and HIV are...
They do, but you need temperatures greater than 100C.
A naked flame, for example, would generate sufficient heat to effectively sterilise a needle.
I believe standard guidelines state that 160 degrees (C) for one hour, or 180 degrees for half an hour counts as 'sterile'.
jwellsy
Getting a drop of blood is easy with a sterilized sewing needle.

But, those meters use single use test strips. Once a drop of blood is wicked up into the test strip, I don't think you can rinse the strip out for reuse.

In the US the goverments organized crime syndicate (the FDA) has the test strips available by prescription only. Can you get test strips in France without a prescription?
8166UY
Bikerman wrote:
8166UY wrote:
A naked flame, for example, would generate sufficient heat to effectively sterilise a needle.
I believe standard guidelines state that 160 degrees (C) for one hour, or 180 degrees for half an hour counts as 'sterile'.

No, bacteria's get killed, most viruses too, but not the real nasty ones. Wink
Bikerman
8166UY wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
8166UY wrote:

No, bacteria's get killed, most viruses too, but not the real nasty ones. Wink

Can you back that up? (I presume you are talking about Prions?)