FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do free web directories actally work

redslazers
I personal have never gone to a free directory's to go to another website, so does anyone else and if no one else does then do you really get visitors from free directories?

if your only adding them to get links back to your site, wouldn't tons of other sits have the same link back so in google`eyes these link are not worth as much as most others links because a million other websites have the same links?

just some questions?
riccopt
the thing about free directories is that they can be used to build links to your site...
I don't get much traffic from directories... but they help a lot to get better results on google when it comes to your keywords...
Ghost Rider103
Riccopt has the right idea. You probably won't find yourself getting many, if any hits from a free directory website. They are more used to build backlinks to your website. Which is why you want to look for higher PR directory's, because those backlinks are of a higher quality.
redslazers
so actually your using them to get higher in google search rankings?

but what im saying is, wouldn't those link backs not count as much becuase so many other people have the same link
brios
about 4 years ago I used FFA sites and Directories to get my site indexed and ranked pretty high. Now I have set up 3 sites and they are still not listed on google after 3 weeks. Maybe I am just impatient but I read that google now checks where the backlinks come from. If they are not quality sites then google will rank your site lower. I don't know if this is true or not but something to consider.
the-guide
brios wrote:
about 4 years ago I used FFA sites and Directories to get my site indexed and ranked pretty high. Now I have set up 3 sites and they are still not listed on google after 3 weeks. Maybe I am just impatient but I read that google now checks where the backlinks come from. If they are not quality sites then google will rank your site lower. I don't know if this is true or not but something to consider.

Of course, I think that's true, Google more likely quality back links.
shkhanal
which free directory you would suggest in this respect?
gcaughill
redslazers wrote:
I personal have never gone to a free directory's to go to another website, so does anyone else and if no one else does then do you really get visitors from free directories?

if your only adding them to get links back to your site, wouldn't tons of other sits have the same link back so in google`eyes these link are not worth as much as most others links because a million other websites have the same links?

just some questions?

Usually they are not worth it, unless they are 'quality' sites. Look for niche directories that people actually use. If it looks good, give it a try, if not it is not worth your time.