FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about my Photos ?

dude_xyx
Recently a friend of my gave me a gift , a camera. Something I always wanted. A good camera with a telephoto lens . Its a Canon photo shot SX10 IS, A great camera for a beginner. I always wanted to take photos of Nature and wild life. Now I'm learning Photography.

I wanted to post them here to share with other members and also to get comments and advice.

A kingfisher. Near my house, he was sitting on a wire. Red back gound is a wall. I wish he was on tree so photo would have an value. But the photo came out nicely I think.

--

My first buttefly photography. This guy didn't mind about i was coming near to him

A squirrel. He was trying carry a piece of cloth which bigger than him self.

A kite. he was sitting on an antenna. early morning and kind of far way. This is one of my first brid photos. I don't think he liked me taking photos of him. lol
Magicman
It must take a good eye to spot all these animals to take these pictures. I don't even think any birds that are as interesting as the kingfisher live anywhere near where I live. The only real critique I can make is that the kite is framed oddly.
dude_xyx
Thanks Magicman, You are right sometimes we woudn't notice what we have around us unless we pay attention to those. Well about the kite, problem was he was far away from me and I was not used to the camera. here's same guy after few days. It was around 6.30 a.m so not much light also antenna was far away from me,

2 more photos,

dude_xyx
Whong
Hi there!

Love the photos with the butterfly. It looks very very nice. Great job. Also the one with the squirrel looks nice! Very Happy

Keep up the good work! Wink
steve1200
You did a really great job!
Which Camera did you use?

Do you took the fotographs in wilderness or in a zoo?
I like the squirrel most.

a new fan of your pics
Steph
michaeljscott93
Yeah pretty cool pics!!!

Wink

I am a photography too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeljscott

Very Happy
Jaan
nice photos man, you need a flickr! Razz
dude_xyx
@ steve1200 : My camera is a Canon powershot SX10 IS. All photos upto now were taken in home garden.

Here's one of my first macro shots. Auto mode, inbuilt flash and cameras macro mode. I love this photo!

michaeljscott93
Fantastic shot!!!

Very Happy
Cliffer
good job you'v done!
dude_xyx
Thanks guys. I got to make a flickr account.

@ michaeljscott93 : You got some great photos in your flickr account.
Dean_The_Great
Dude, these are freakin' cool. I particularly enjoy the one with the squirrel.
dude_xyx
Dean_The_Great wrote:
Dude, these are freakin' cool. I particularly enjoy the one with the squirrel.

Thanks man. Since you like the squirrel photo I thought to post this one. Well thats confrontaion between a squirrel and garden lizard. It was totally hilarious to watch since both refused to back away. The squirrel was screaming at top of his voice and lizard was shaking his head !

steve1200
wow great foto!
It was a funny moment, right?
dude_xyx
steve1200 wrote:
wow great foto!
It was a funny moment, right?

Yup it was.

Here's another 2 photos I took few days ago. I was trying to get few macro photos. Well I was in Auto mode so camera decided light is enough so Flash refused to work. If flash work those would had been better. I have to learn manual setting of my camera ...

dude_xyx
A spider eating a mosquito. Photo was not that sharp but just with a point and shoot camera with its inbuilt flash and a small macro lens you can't ask for more. Also these spiders and shy lol then stay under tree leaves most of the time.

LostOverThere
Brilliant shots! Really inspiring.

Like others, my favourite photo was the macro shot of the ant. Which is just pure awesome.

Great work. Smile
dude_xyx
Thanks. Yeah That photo is one of the best have done yet. I'm still learning about all this macro thing.

steve1200
yeah the ant ist he best, but the latest ones, are also really good! I like them as well!
hangnhu
great shot
always want to do some photography, I just need to buy a good camera, although I'm reluctant since I camera phone is pretty good, but I won't capture anything like you have
yes, something we are blind to the beauty surrounds us
michaeljscott93
Yes they are very nice, and the macro images are nicely focused and detailed...well done!!! Very Happy
lethaltriad
some really nice photography here, love the subject matter and also your composition is really good. You captured some really nice moments here my friend.
william
Top notch photos, just excellent. Very Happy The macros are amongst the best I've seen with great detail. Keep up the great work!
Ccsteph22
Awesome! I love em, mostly the third one Laughing check out his skin! Shocked
Anyway GJ!
dude_xyx
Another one which seems pretty colorful.

Denvis
Great photos i especially like the one where the bird attempts the shelter the other bird on the branch using its wings.
lethaltriad
nice shot, very vibrant and i love the bokeh on it
Haywire
I don't really know much about photography but the second one looks great, but some of them look a bit low quality, try getting a better camera
steve1200
your last shot is really amazing!
dude_xyx
Trying to take good photo of this guy.

dude_xyx
This spidy was like 3 inches big !

dude_xyx
Hmm finally I got my own flickr album working.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25180238@N07/
Ghost Rider103
Some very nice photos taken here. You are very good at focusing in on your main point.

You should get yourself a website and host your personal portfolio.

Keep up the good work!
Sachi
Whatch out, sometimes you get too much light (in my opinion).

In spite of this, your photos are really good one (without the fourth one Razz).

Great job Smile
wellerchap
Superb pictures my friend, and thank you for sharing them.
Where in the world are you?
There are some beautiful colours, and these creatures look very exotic.
dude_xyx
Thanks everyone ! Very Happy

@ Ghost Rider103 : Thanks. I'm developing a website for photos these days. Also ve started putting them in Flickr >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudexyx/

@ Sachi : I don't have a external flash so I'm using the inbuilt one so sometimes it's bit hard to control.

@ wellerchap : Thanks !

Here are two more macro photos of ants !

I had to crop this one a bit to get the best out of it. ( above )

lysiutki87
Your's photo are very interesting. I like it very much.Smile
dude_xyx
Thanks lysiutki.

Here's another photo.

blk3
Love the close ups of the ant, and also the other insects or bugs. I just didn't the ones with the pink background, the original background would have been better.
dude_xyx
All these photos have original backgrounds. Pink background has happened coz of a building in background. Very Happy
rogue_skydragon
simply amazing work, my friend. great job!
menino
Hey Dudexyx, your photos are really nice and very professional looking.
Keep up the good work.
dude_xyx
Thanks Menino ! Here's another photo of Kingfisher.

tchaunt
You certainly are a natural! I've never truly tried my hand at true photography. I've just always snapped pictures of me and my friends. All I know is, I really love the composition of all your photos. The overall style of them appears to be professional. So to you, I say congratulations on such great photos!
lethaltriad
dude_xyx wrote:
Trying to take good photo of this guy.

love this shot i had a cool shot of a dragonfly also, some of them stay still for the shot and most of them just fly off when they see you. Great shot though one of my favs from you!
zbale
Truly amazing!

How do you do it? Do you just walk around with your camera or do you spot a specific location where you wait for things to happen?
Auctus
Definitely a fan of the kingfisher photo. Good angle to see the beak from. I'm fond of birds. Random cool bird: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5387439-lg.jpg
dude_xyx
zbale wrote:
Truly amazing!
How do you do it? Do you just walk around with your camera or do you spot a specific location where you wait for things to happen?

I'm not the waiting type ! lol at least not so far. Most of those photos were taken around my house and in garden. So I have camera ready always.
zbale
Crazy! I wish my home environment were so interesting!

(Though I'm not too fond of bugs, come to think of it...)
dude_xyx
Bug are pretty interesting when you do macro photography. There is whole world which we don't see. Tiny flowers and creatures. Its pretty fun to do macro photography.
dude_xyx
Another 2 photos. Not so sharp because it was late evening. I didn't want to use flash.

zbale
Ni-ice! On the second one the evening light clearly adds something. Keep posting.
dude_xyx
Thank you zbale. This is another photo I had taken while ago. Its a natural photo.

zbale
Yeah, nice picture. Too bad the right hand is cropped off!
todabeat
like them very good.
but the last one.. sorry.

good job
dude_xyx
zbale wrote:
Yeah, nice picture. Too bad the right hand is cropped off!

I had no time to prepare or anything. It was just a sudden photo.
zbale
dude_xyx wrote:

Sorry but that made me laugh Laughing 'cause I just have no clue how you "prepare" to shoot a dragonfly or any other insect before it whizzes away! (I must say I'm better with humans than with insects, but I also occasionally cut parts of their bodies --- unintendedly of course.) Confused
dude_xyx
zbale wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

Sorry but that made me laugh Laughing 'cause I just have no clue how you "prepare" to shoot a dragonfly or any other insect before it whizzes away! (I must say I'm better with humans than with insects, but I also occasionally cut parts of their bodies --- unintendedly of course.) Confused

I guess you have no idea about macro photography or have never done it. If you have ever taken macro photographs you would have known what kind of preparation it needs. Its not like you run after dragonflies when ever you see one. Definitely not like taking a sudden photo of a kid who running around.

Check this link. You ll able to understand how to "prepare" to shoot a dragonfly or any kind of macro photo.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056
lethaltriad
Macro Photography takes a good amount of preparation to get it right. A steady hand or tripod is necessary. Tripod preferably to ensure you get enough DOF by having a small aperture to show enough subject matter.

I usually shoot dragonflies and compose it so that the background blur is a contrasting colour, sometimes putting an object or card behind it.

The only photography really that doesn't need any prep work would be street photography but apart from that every other type of photography requires some form of setting up or planning ahead/conceptualizing.
dude_xyx
Well posted these before but the post lost. So I'm posting these Bengali Tiger photos again.

dude_xyx
Another photo of a King Fisher. He was hunting insects for his breakfast.

agustin
Good pics! I used to take nature photos too. Its pretty cool.
dude_xyx
Another photo thought this one is not so sharp.

JessieF
Wow, what camera do you use? It takes great Macro photos and captures color nicely! Smile What settings did you use for these photos?
Ghost Rider103
Love the tiger photos! Definitely one of my favorite animals!

Great work.
dude_xyx
JessieF wrote:
Wow, what camera do you use? It takes great Macro photos and captures color nicely! Smile What settings did you use for these photos?

Mine is a Canon Powershot SX10 IS camera. It's kind of a hybrid between compact and DSLR cameras. You have all manual settings, a 28mm wide angle and 560mm telephoto lens and TTL flash hot shoe. Not heavy or huge like a DSLR camera but also you have control over 95% settings. Good video recording too.

For Macro photos it has both Macro and SuperMacro options but I use a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens. It's not an expensive Macro lens. Just a $50 item.
dude_xyx
Again back to my favorite hobby.

natilovesmike
I like your insect photos the most. The bird and squirrel ones are not bad, even with the red background. I think the red background adds color to the pictures.
dude_xyx
natilovesmike wrote:
I like your insect photos the most. The bird and squirrel ones are not bad, even with the red background. I think the red background adds color to the pictures.

That red background is natural. There would a huge red painted building. I like to take insect photos because those not many try to explore world of macro unless they have a DSLR and a real Macro lens.
Flakky
I'm really impressed by the camera. I wonder if it was an expensive camera and more of it's features. I always wanted to get a nice decent camera. I would have gotten one but my PC needs fixing :/
dude_xyx
I'm using a Canon SX10 IS camera. Funny thing is still is cost around $475 while the latest model of this series which is Canon SX30 IS Camera cost less or same. Anyway This is a very good series of camera. Small and compact but also has most options of a DSLR camera.

A photo I took yesterday. It was too dark and built in Flash rage is too low for this photo.

Asap170
Woah! I love your squirrel. Squirrels are awesome and he is a mighty mighty squirrel. I believe he may be the king of all the squirrel land!
fr3ak
Those Pics of Bengali Tiger are damn awesome! Cool
standready
Excellent photographs. You have a good eye.
ankur209
Whoa...Whoa...!!
What a clarity these pics are having...Simply awesome... Razz

Love your pics..ss and those bengal tigers too.. Razz
dude_xyx
Thanks guys. There are some more interesting photos to come up. These days I have less time for editing and finishing those photos.
han007
nice and cool
be good
emanuel2
amazing photos, I especially like the macro photos. Good work
zbale
dude_xyx wrote:
I'm using a Canon SX10 IS camera. Funny thing is still is cost around $475 while the latest model of this series which is Canon SX30 IS Camera cost less or same. Anyway This is a very good series of camera. Small and compact but also has most options of a DSLR camera.

A photo I took yesterday. It was too dark and built in Flash rage is too low for this photo.

Great!
fladry
Wow, the photos are really amazing. MY 5 mp camera wont even focus on such objects Sad. I am also quite interested in photography but dont have a camera (nither money to buy one) that can take proper shots Sad
dude_xyx
fladry wrote:
Wow, the photos are really amazing. MY 5 mp camera wont even focus on such objects Sad. I am also quite interested in photography but dont have a camera (nither money to buy one) that can take proper shots Sad

What's the model you have ? You can't do everything with all cameras but still you can do something with every camera.
michaelagustin
great job... ahmm... did you apply a golden mean?
ProwerBot
You could very well be in the professional photography field. I need to invest in one of those nice cameras one of these days, not liking my $70 camera all that much.
zbale
fladry wrote:
Wow, the photos are really amazing. MY 5 mp camera wont even focus on such objects :(. I am also quite interested in photography but dont have a camera (nither money to buy one) that can take proper shots :(

Actually, the lens really makes the difference, though it's true that you won't get really far with a small resolution (and that in any case, the best lenses are on the expensive cameras anyway).
dude_xyx
ProwerBot wrote:
You could very well be in the professional photography field. I need to invest in one of those nice cameras one of these days, not liking my $70 camera all that much.

It's all depends on what do you want to photography and what are your cameras good and weak points. From a normal point and shoot camera you can get Good landscape photos in good light condition. You won't able get great low light photos like evening photos but nice day time photos in sunny weather. With cameras like Canon SX30 which is the latest successor of my Canon SX10 Camera you can do more things. Like still photos of birds and good macro photos. But if you want to take flying bireds or sports photos then you need to good DSLR camera with a Fast lens. So See the best your camera can do and take max out of it.
zbale
ProwerBot wrote:

I also think DSLR is where you should get started if you want to move on into the world of photography. Mind you, the affordable models (ok, they're still pretty expensive) are already alright to get started, no need to invest into a very very expensive camera at first.

Regarding lenses, you can use the one that comes with the camera at first, while you're learning to master it. Then you might find that it's keeping you from moving on to the next level, and that's when you're gonna start paying the big money Laughing
dude_xyx
Price tag is always a problem when it comes to DSLR. Also all accessories are pricy. It's great if you can start into Photogaphy with a DSLR but it's not a much. You can start with a point and shoot and get an basic idea. Then when you start realizing what a point and shoot camera missing you can get a DSLR or when you save enough money.
cybersa
Photos are very nice.
What you think about Natural Scenery?
dude_xyx
cybersa wrote:
Photos are very nice.
What you think about Natural Scenery?

Thanks.

Do you mean land scape photos ?
zbale
dude_xyx wrote:
Price tag is always a problem when it comes to DSLR. Also all accessories are pricy. It's great if you can start into Photogaphy with a DSLR but it's not a much. You can start with a point and shoot and get an basic idea. Then when you start realizing what a point and shoot camera missing you can get a DSLR or when you save enough money.

I'd say a point-and-shoot can be just good enough to start learning about composition, but if you want to make real progress in photography you'll need to move on to DSLRs, because that's when you start controlling what you're doing.

I believe that even the lower end of the DSLR spectrum is good enough to get started.

It's true that today, a lot of "point and shoot" cameras actually include manual modes, aperture priority etc., but it's not very handy when the camera is small (in my opinion).

Any differing opinion?
drunkenkoz
dude_xyx wrote:
Well posted these before but the post lost. So I'm posting these Bengali Tiger photos again.

I really enjoyed the pictures of the Bengali Tigers that you posted. You have a keen eye for photography and I hope for your best in the near future with you hobby and or career.
therimalaya
They are very nice photos. I also like the micro Photography. That really catch the thing that other can not see until it is seriously observed. Your photos have revealed the things that do exist in our world but no one cares about its beauty.
dude_xyx
Macro Photography is very interesting. Also you can easily addicted to it. Like you said it feel great to see that there is whole world out there which we never notice or see.
Syneidesis
Well, that's a great camera.... National Geographic type. Nothing original, but well made.
dude_xyx
Syneidesis wrote:
Well, that's a great camera.... National Geographic type. Nothing original, but well made.

Which camera ? and What's not original ? Shocked
zbale
Just a note: for good macro photography you'll need a good lens. That kind of rules out a number of point-and-shoot cameras.
dude_xyx
zbale wrote:
Just a note: for good macro photography you'll need a good lens. That kind of rules out a number of point-and-shoot cameras.

I took all my photos with a point and shoot camera and just a Macro Filter. I have seen even better macro photos taken from simple and less expensive setups than mine. It's all about creativeness and experience. I wasted too much time thinking same like you cant take good photos without DSLR cameras and stuff.

barma
First thing first, you have an AWESOME friend!
Secondly, your ability to capture the nature is outstanding!!
zimmer
very nice. I like it. the shot and the perfect shot with balance light and fair color.

good work!
BlankODE
wow . really cool pictures.
dude_xyx
I have to repost some photos. Seems those are not not lording anymore.

Most of those photos are in my Flickr Album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudexyx/
dude_xyx
Another 2 photos,

--

dude_xyx
Hmm I haven't had time to add anything to this for a while so decide to post another macro photo. Not something super cool but it's not bad considering the old point and shoot camera I use.