FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

speed can be faster?

Cliffer
your server speed is slow sometimes in my end,last night it was down.i couldn't open your page. is it happening often? can it be faster and more steady?
Daniel15
It's because FriHost is a free web host with a lot of users. It costs a lot of money to upgrade the server to handle more users, so there's periods of slowness Sad. If it's slow, try coming back later.
Bondings
I'm working on several things to speed up the server.
deanhills
I don't know whether this would make a difference, but I noticed in the membership list that there has to be hundreds of registered members who did not get to the regular posting stage, some did not post at all. Would it help the database if those that have not posted since say two years ago, be deleted from the Database? And/or to program it that if the person who registered did not post for 3 months, that the membership will automatically be deleted?

PS: I had difficulty posting last week, but am really enjoying my postings again. It's been effortless for a number of days. Thanks. Smile
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
I don't know whether this would make a difference, but I noticed in the membership list that there has to be hundreds of registered members who did not get to the regular posting stage, some did not post at all. Would it help the database if those that have not posted since say two years ago, be deleted from the Database? And/or to program it that if the person who registered did not post for 3 months, that the membership will automatically be deleted?

PS: I had difficulty posting last week, but am really enjoying my postings again. It's been effortless for a number of days. Thanks. Smile

That wouldn't help much.

However I already did some server optimizations during the last few days which might help. The new search will definitely help a lot since once it has replaced the current search will make it possible to remove the big search tables and the need to update them when submitting, editing or removing a post. Considering this update is by far the biggest part of the posting process, this is really going to make a big difference.
mathiaus
Bondings, is this something that could be recommended to others who use Frihost with phpBB to do and would it provide any further benefit?
Bondings
mathiaus wrote:
Bondings, is this something that could be recommended to others who use Frihost with phpBB to do and would it provide any further benefit?

No, this is only needed for big forums with a lot of posts, for small to medium forums there is no problem with the default search (and you can choose mysql full-text search on phpbb3). The actual phpbb forums (phpbb.com) also use the same system and there exists a mod for this kind of search for phpbb3, although it is still in development.

Besides this is not something that you are able to do on a typical shared hosting account (sphinx search needs to be installed on the server as a service (daemon) and you need shell access to index).
Donutey
I've never found loading times to be a big issue for the forums here. (My 2c)