FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how many people here like dogs?

Cliffer
i have a big white one,talk about yours.......i'm interested in
jabce85
i used to have a brittany spaniel.. she lived to be around 10 until old age really caught up with her. That type of breed is a really good dog.
Kelvin
I love dogs and I've got a Cocker Spaniel close to 9 years of age. She's really smart and loves our attention but is an anti-social cause she is very aggressive to strangers. I guess it's cause she's a house dog and did not get to see much people when she grew up. My cousin just got a Shi Tzu. Looks pretty cute but many people say it's more of a dumb breed. Maybe it's just not that intelligent but we'll see how she grows up to be. Wink
Tphilakone
I like dog . I used to have one . And i also like cat
jessicawalker
I love dog. It's quite delicious.
deanhills
jessicawalker wrote:
Shocked Shocked Laughing Is it possible to change the heading of this thread to: I love dogs? "I love dog" has a meaning that doglovers can't live with. Sort of endangering the lives of dogs. Smile
dude_xyx
I like dogs. Prefer them to cats. But I don't have any now coz I dont have time. I wish I had.
jessicawalker
deanhills wrote:
jessicawalker wrote:
Shocked Shocked Laughing Is it possible to change the heading of this thread to: I love dogs? "I love dog" has a meaning that doglovers can't live with. Sort of endangering the lives of dogs. Smile

haha. exactly. It's like "I love chicken".
Solon_Poledourus
I was raised by Wolves.
Seriously, I was. When I say "by", I mean "next to". We had 13 Timber Wolves when I was growing up, as well as an Alaskan Malamute, 3 cats, and a Cocker Spaniel.
My Father wouldn't let me get a Partridge in a pair tree. I thought that would top it all off. So yes, I love dogs, and more specifically, Wolves. The 3 cats we had were ok, but I just don't trust cats. A cat doesn't care if your getting beaten up by 3 robbers outside your door, but a Wolf will come through the window and lay down the law.
I just don't have the room for another Wolf these days, much less a whole pack.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I was raised by Wolves.
Seriously, I was. When I say "by", I mean "next to". We had 13 Timber Wolves when I was growing up, as well as an Alaskan Malamute, 3 cats, and a Cocker Spaniel.
My Father wouldn't let me get a Partridge in a pair tree. I thought that would top it all off. So yes, I love dogs, and more specifically, Wolves. The 3 cats we had were ok, but I just don't trust cats. A cat doesn't care if your getting beaten up by 3 robbers outside your door, but a Wolf will come through the window and lay down the law.
I just don't have the room for another Wolf these days, much less a whole pack.
Pretty impressive, also must have been wonderful for a kid to be so close to wolves. Sort of running with the wolves so to speak. You must have learned quite a bit about them this way.
redslazers
love our dog our house is so silent when she isnt around its like a ghost town but she allways adds life and fun to our family
wanshishusheng
i loved every animal ,dog of course,but it is a pity now i am afraid of them except little one .
because i have got injured by a big dog,it's so crude.so now i will keep in distance with the big dog.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Pretty impressive, also must have been wonderful for a kid to be so close to wolves. Sort of running with the wolves so to speak. You must have learned quite a bit about them this way.

Yes, it was amazing. We had alot of land in Arizona, and we raised them there. I learned quite a bit, and I loved being "part of the pack". If I ever get the chance, I will share my life with more of them again.
wanshishusheng wrote:
i loved every animal ,dog of course,but it is a pity now i am afraid of them except little one .
because i have got injured by a big dog,it's so crude.so now i will keep in distance with the big dog.

I am deeply sorry you had such a bad experience with a large dog. Perhaps one day you'll find one that is friendly and you can conquer your fear of them. Remember; a domesticated dog is only as mean as it's been taught to be. Most dogs are loyal and kind. In my experience, the small ones tend to bite more, though it does alot less damage.
Dotchielover
I do!
These are my dogs:

raaeft1
I have had dogs almost throughout my life. I recall my father had a German Shepherd Shekhar way back in the early 1960s and he died in 1972. Then we had a female poodle Lily and later her illegitimate son--a cross between poodle and pomerarian.
Then I shifted to Chandigarh in the 1990s and I purchased a German Shepherd Prince. He died last year. Then I purchased a Labrador pup who is highly lovable but a virtual pest. He eats wood, furniture, clothes, breaks things and damages the plants in the garden.
Crinoid
Also shared home with dog, newfoundland and, much later, chihuahua. Great companions and personalities.
I prefer the large dogs, if home and lifestyle allow it.
On my own, I ended up keeping cat and don't regret it: at least I can pick up his poo with special tool, not by hand covered with plastic bag...
Solon_Poledourus
Crinoid wrote:
Also shared home with dog, newfoundland and, much later, chihuahua

How did you go from a huge dog like a Newfoundland to a dog the size of a wharf rat?
pho3nixsky
I always wanted a dog, but i live in a unit so i'm not allowed to keep most pets.
halilibo
I don't like dogs, because when i was little, one dog have chased me, since i have antipathy for dogs.i prefer birds. they arenot as dangerous as dogs. Very Happy
Mudkipdw
I like smaller dogs like westies or beagles, my grandma has a westie and he's so energetic he never rests! Very Happy
Jintastic
halilibo wrote:
I don't like dogs, because when i was little, one dog have chased me, since i have antipathy for dogs.i prefer birds. they arenot as dangerous as dogs. Very Happy

haha this made me laugh for some reason.

I like dogs, and i used to own one =(
soljarag
I like dogs.... mine is 14 years old Smile
foxx36
I love dogs. I have 2 myself. They`re just great Very Happy I love them more then anything
deanhills
I'm also a dog lover. Man's best friend! Their effect on health is better than vitamin pills Smile
Radar
Not a particular fan of any kind of pet that can't be kept enclosed. I guess that's just the result of never having had one growing up, and the reason behind that, which is that my parents weren't huge fans of them either.

But I can live with that.
Cliffer
my dog relaxes my spirit,she often makes sth very funny,but she's now getting old,always sleep...
she can huluhulu when sleeping,if you don't see her,you must be thinking it is a human sleeping.
bigt
Dogs are great. Our dog always meets us at the door and acts like a human. Dogs are mans best friend.
la_Duchess
I Love dogs! I prefer very small ones though. I have a chihuahua.

Here's some info on Chi's.

With its big eyes, big ears, and bigger-than-life attitude, the Chihuahua is the epitome of cocky canine in a petite package.

In other words, this pint-sized pet is master of his universe and fears nothing, characteristics that make him a most suitable pet for some people and the worst possible choice for others. But a sudden spurt of popularity as the Taco Bell dog has brought notoriety, and demand for the tough and intelligent dogs has increased.

The Chihuahua has always been popular as a pet for elderly owners and apartment dwellers, so in an era when many breed registrations are declining, the number of Chihuahuas registered annually has increased from 29,860 in 1991 to 38,926 in 1997, an average increase of 1133 registered dogs per year and an overall increase of 30.4 percent. The number is hardly equivalent to the registrations of Labrador Retrievers, the breed with a lock on the number one slot for the past several years, but it has been enough to move the Chihuahua from 16th in popularity to 12th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breed history
The Chihuahua takes its name from the Mexican state abutting west Texas and New Mexico, but likely came from the ancient Techichi dogs of the Toltecs crossed with hairless dogs from the Orient. Historians describe the Techichi as a heavy-boned small dog with a long coat indigenous to Central America and definitely connected to the Toltec civilization near present-day Mexico City. The Techichi was larger than the modern Chihuahua and was mute.

The Aztecs conquered the Toltecs and adopted the little dogs as sacred icons of the upper classes, used in religious ceremonies to expiate sins and as guides for the spirits of the dead. Somewhere along the way, breed historian K. deBlinde* concluded, the Techichi was crossed with an Oriental hairless breed that made its way to the New World via the Bering Strait land bridge and the smaller, smooth-coated, vocal Chihuahua of today was born.

The breed was discovered in Chihuahua State in the 1850s and quickly became popular. It was first registered with the American Kennel Club in 1904.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appearance
The Chihuahua is the smallest of the AKC registered breeds, weighing in at two-to-six pounds. No height is given in the standard, but most Chihuahuas are six-to-eight inches tall. As with many breeds, the body is slightly longer than it is tall.

The overall appearance is of a fine-boned but muscular dog. The head is distinctive with its rounded skull, large eyes, and large ears that perk upright when the dog is alert and flare out to the sides of the head when the dog is resting. The muzzle is moderately short and slightly pointed; teeth are arranged in a level or scissors bite.

The Chihuahua has a graceful neck carried with a slight arch and sloping gracefully into the shoulders. The topline is level, the ribs rounded and well-sprung, and the tail moderately long and carried up in a sickle shape or as a loop that touches the back.

Smooth-coated Chihuahuas have a soft, glossy, and close coat that is full over the body and scanty on the head and ears. The long-coated dogs have a longer soft coat that can be flat or slightly curly and must have an undercoat. The tail on a longcoat resembles a plume; the ears, feet, and legs are feathered; and the neck carries a ruff. Either coat can be any solid color or can be marked or splashed with color on a white background.

Temperament
The official AKC standard for the breed describes the Chihuahua as “A graceful, alert, swift-moving little dog with saucy expression, compact, and with terrier-like qualities of temperament.” However, some Chihuahuas carry “saucy” and “terrier-like” to extremes and are grumpy, haughty, or downright nasty when provoked – and provocation may come easy.

The tendency to be temperamental, a reputation for being suspicious of everyone but his owner, and a clannish dislike of any breed but his own makes the Chihuahua an unsuitable pet for households with small or boisterous children. On the other hand, he may be perfect for an elderly couple or individual, a pet owner who loves to pamper, those who live in apartments, and those on limited incomes.

Unfortunately, the Chihuahua’s innate curiosity, intelligence, and loyalty to and affection for his owner often get lost in the oft-repeated description of the more prominent features of his temperament, but in the right circumstances, he is a wonderful companion.

Health
This is a long-lived breed, often achieving 16 or more years of age. However, there are some genetic diseases that can cause problems. Like most toy breeds, the Chihuahua is susceptible to slipped stifles (a knee injury caused by joint weakness) and fractures and may suffer from jawbone disorders, eye problems, heart disease, and tooth and gum complaints. The potential for some of these problems can be minimized by buying from a breeder who tests breeding stock for inheritable problems and by careful management. For example, Chihuahuas should not be allowed to jump off high furniture or out of your arms as the impact on landing could fracture a leg. Children should not be allowed to carry a Chihuahua or to play roughly with one for the same reason.

The Chihuahua is also born with a soft spot on the top of his head that may not fully close, so a blow here could kill him.

The Chihuahua tendency to shiver or tremble is not a health issue but takes place when the dog is excited or stressed. One explanation is the toy dogs have a higher metabolism and so dissipate body heat faster than larger dogs. Shivering helps to generate body heat – that’s why people shiver when we are cold. However, rapid dissipation of body heat is a distinct disadvantage in cool or cold climates, so Chihuahuas should always be protected when taken outdoors in these areas. Fortunately, there are dozens of styles of protective sweaters available.

The Chihuahua as pet
The Chihuahua’s loyalty and affinity for being close to his master or mistress makes him an amiable companion, and his size makes him a convenient one. Chihuahuas have been known to ride about inside a pocket, in a purse or tote bag, or tucked firmly under the arm of their owners. They fit nicely in soft-sided pet carriers for an airplane ride or a jaunt in the car, and they enjoy outings immensely.

At home the Chihuahua is curious and mischievous. Left to his own devices, the little guy might decorate the entire house with a roll of toilet paper, make confetti out of the mail, or commandeer your bed or favorite chair as his own. Although he is not much bigger than a minute, he could also wind up as master of the household, for he can manipulate owners with great finesse.

Chihuahuas have a distinct liking for others of their own breed and an equally distinct dislike for dogs of other breeds. Therefore, if you want more than one dog, make the additional dogs Chihuahuas. And if you already have a dog of another breed, consider carefully before getting a Chihuahua.

Dangers
Like other small dogs, the Chihuahua faces a danger outdoors that does not threaten his canine cousins that weigh more than 15 pounds – he is just the right size for a meal for a bird of prey or a coyote. Large hawks, eagles, and owls have been known to swoop down on pets and carry them away, and coyotes are becoming a common danger in some city fringes and suburbs.

The indomitable spirit of the Chihuahua also causes problems when the little dog spars with a large breed dog, especially one with a dominant personality or a high prey drive. It is best to always keep a Chihuahua on a leash or carried in arms so it cannot challenge a big dog to a duel it will surely lose.

Finding a well-bred Chihuahua
The Taco Bell dog has made it easier to find poorly-bred Chihuahuas to meet the demand of those folks who do not carefully select a breed to fit their family. That obviously self-confident and trainable little guy has lulled many families with children into thinking the breed is perfect for them, and they trot down to the nearest pet store or let their fingers do the walking through the newspaper ads or on the Internet. However, puppies purchased from these sources may be bred for profit without concern for health or temperament and the breeders and dealers may know next to nothing that will help a family choose wisely or cope with the breed temperament or needs once they get the puppy home.

Responsible breeders are adamant about finding good homes for their puppies. Most responsible Chihuahua breeders – indeed most breeders of toy dogs – rarely place a puppy in a home with children under the age of 12. But like most other toy breeds, Chihuahuas have small litters – often only one or two puppies – so the number of puppies available from responsible breeders (those who check parent dogs for genetic abnormalities, back their puppies with warranties, support puppy buyers with advice and assistance, and breed only dogs of good temperament) are often scarce. So, in spite of the appeal of the Taco Bell dog, families should carefully consider if the breed is right for them and should seek out a sturdier dog of more moderate temperament if they have young children.

scallywag
I'm definitely a dog person, my partner and I have a lovely little fluff-butt named Finnigan, a rough collie, shepherd-something mix. We also have a dutch shepherd named Foot Foot, but he's M.I.A right now - hopefully just out exploring the world and bound to come home soon!
Faraz
I hate dogs now! Jeez! I used to love dogs and had one dog too, but one day a group of dogs ran after me and almost killed me. Since that day, I hate dogs and try to avoid them as much as possible.
paskifire
I love dogs, but my dogs are only native dogs in our country but i love them
anakin_skyrunner
I really, really hate dogs. I don't knwo for which reason they were created, because I don't see any. They're not even cute in my eyes... Some of my neighbours have dogs, and really stupid ones too... I'm happy my parents did never ever buy one^^
Crazy_Canuck
I love dogs- we had dogs around all the time when I was growing up- mostly labs, but we also had a dumb cocker spaniel or two. Dogs are great b/c they don't talk back to you, and they love you no matter what. There is nothing better than your dog greeting you with love and affection when you come from a rough day at work. Smile
Blacklight28
I am a dog person. I currently own a welsh springer spaniel named Monty. Though he is getting old, he is still a great, loyal companion.
nigam
i do love dogs, a mans bestfriend but a dog could be our guard all the time...
mattyman
i love dogs and birds man fav dog must be german shepard.
andysart380
my boss just bought 2 beagle puppies i'll upload some pictures later
ArkansasFan02
I love dogs but I am not, like, insane crazy about them. I hav one dog who is 12 and he has been alive since I was born...I get worried that the day will come when...well you get what I mean.

My point is that he is REALLY special to me and no one should EVER treat dogs badly.
goutha
Dogs are my favourite animals.

I don't have one right now, but I hope to have a dog in the next years.
Jamestf347
I loveee dogs! As long as they are nice, I mean every dog gets in trouble, but that's something everyone has to deal with ha. But I have a German Sheppard - Colly mix Smile, he's awesome, can be a little bit of a crybaby sometimes but yeah.
ponda
I love dogs. I'm not a cat person at all...
Marcuzzo
to me, every animal has something special, but I would love to have a dog again.
I'm living in an appartement so I would find it sad to keep a dog,
but in a few years, when I move to a house with a yard and stuff, I'm getting me a black german sheppard. and if I have the space and time I'll even get a border collie.

for now I have to live with my crazy but cute cat
michaeljscott93
I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! He is very cute!
Dean_The_Great
I freakin' love dogs. They are by far, in my opinion, the best pet to have. Cute, loyal, beautiful, smart and otherwise and in all ways freakin' awesome. I'd love to be able to own a nice big dog (like a German shepherd or something) but I don't know if I'll ever have the yard or the time for one.
rosgar
now I hate 'em because I'm just passing by and bit me.
saratdear
I do like friendly dogs. I would like to have a fierce dog too (fierce on intruders, not me Smile ), but I am not sure whether I will have the time to manage one.
ericfrata
Yes We do =)
babarus
Smile i have a little dog very smart . now she has 6 kids..... who wants one?
bb_web@yahoo.com
scallywag
I love my puppies Razz I have a 7 year old shepherd/collie mix, and a 2 year old male dutch shepherd, though he's unfortunately been missing for 10 months Sad I think he's just out exploring the world though, I'm sure he'll come home eventually.

I would have a pack of dogs if I could, but my landlord has imposed a 1 pet limit, so we're gonna have to figure something out when our second boy comes back!
Baka_Desu
I love dogs, i have a 1 year old German Shepherd. He is so loyal to me as well.
menino
I Love dogs as well. Sadly, I haven't kept a dog for myself.
I used to take care of a german shephard in my college days, who was named after the owner (the owner was my boss whose bite and bark were worse than any dog I know).
The dog was adorable, but would get jealous and bark at anyone that came to my room (even my mom).
He would get of the leash after a while and it was difficult to get him chained back.
Sometimes he would run after the students, especially since he was a big dog, and when they ran, he would think they are playing with him.
After that, I like to pet dogs, but don't like the responsibility of taking care of one.
goutha
I love dogs. I don't have a dog right now, but I'm planning to have one in the future.
BigGeek
I love dogs, nothing you will ever have a relationship in your life with will be as faithful or as unconditionally loving as your dog. Your wife or girlfriend may be pissed off at you, and not talk to you when you get home from work, but no matter what has happend, when you come home, your dog is always excited and happy to see you.

I have a 7 lb. poodle, he is going on 13 years old, and is having his health problems, and struggling a bit with life. I love him more than anything I've ever spent time with, yup, more than any of the women in my life. The longest term relationship that I've had with a woman has been 10 years, and in both of those marriages, they hated me, and were cruel beyond words for years before I finally told them to get out, and never speak to me again. But my dog, he is still there, still happy as can be to see me, still wants to play and run around and go for walks, and is happy to go anywhere I take him. At 50 years old, I've never even had a human friend that has been that good to me.

I can also tell you that his dedication and devotion is returned, I would fight to the death to protect him, and would decline to spend time with friends or go to a party, if he is not welcome, as if I can't take him, I really don't want to go, I'd rather spend the time alone with him.

I guess there is a reason they are called man's best friend Smile
ponda
Cliffer wrote:

pugs! i love pugs!
they are the most amazing, lovable breed you could ever find. i guess the only problem would be that they are generally fat. but i love all dogs with mushy faces like bulldogs, pugs, french bulldogs, boston terriers...you name it. i also think poodles are very cute but without the ridiculous haircuts...dogs are meant to be furry. <3
steve1200
i don't like dogs. ^^
carlospro7
Dogs are cool. I'd love to get one when my wife and I have our own place, as we are currently renting. When I go visit my parents, the first thing I greet is my parents dog, who is a mixed beagle. We don't know what the other breed is, but all I know is that it is a beautiful mix.
sochapter
I just love dogs! Smile We have 2 very small dogs at our house. They are called Minttu and Santra and they are just utterly adorable couple. They are Kleinspitz's and the older one(Minttu) is kind of a orange in colour and the younger (Santra) is a full black version Very Happy

Here is our Minttu: http://up.servut.us/18700

And last but not certainly least, Santra: http://up.servut.us/18701

Greetings from Finland.
Sincererly, Tero.
omarbasha
i love dogs, i have a saint bernard White-Gold colored she's a female and her son, Jullie and Rocky.
They are amazing!!
jwahl16
I have three pugs and love them to death. they are real friendly and playful. They are addicted to food though so you have to watch their diet!
nigam
now, i do have rottweiler which i named her ciara.....she doesn't like kids.....if she saw kids...it seems she wanna bite them 'til they die!!!!!!!!! is that your rottweiler also????
Silayon
Dogs are awesome! They're cute, loyal, fun and a great companion. They also encourage you to get fit and go on walks and jogs. Although you have to put up with bathing them and taking them outside to poop. Some dogs also hump your legs... which is pretty... awkward.
natilovesmike
I love dogs! but I currently don't have one. I live in a tiny apartment and we are all day out...so this is not the right time...but I will eventually...
bigt
Cliffer wrote:

We have a little black one. She's great and doesn't shed. She's also always glad to see us when we get home.
Jamestf347
I have a German Shepherd here are some facts Smile

The German Shepherd Dog of today continues to be a superlative companion dog and is the working dog of choice by many agencies. In North America the German Shepherd Dog is, by litter and individual dog registrations, one of the most popular and numerous breeds.

The breed is suitable for herding, police work, guiding the visually impaired, schutzhund, ring sport, search and rescue, drug and bomb detection and tracking to name a few. The German Shepherd Dog is also a natural guard dog, being territorial and protective.

Requirements -

- Daily Exercise to maintain physical and mental fitness.
- Not allowed to run free but confined to a fenced yard or a kennel run (never chain or tie the dog).
- Training is an essential part of responsible dog ownership, as well as establishing a strong bond between owner, trainer and dog.

Throughout the world are many organizations which promote the breed and host associated activities. Included is the Sieger show each year in Germany which is the largest show held for any breed in the world. The Sieger show attracts hundreds of thousands of people to witness this spectacle involving an entry of dogs in excess of one thousand.

In North America, similar systems exist although on a smaller scale. Many conformation shows are held each year as well as obedience trials, tracking trials, temperament tests, schutzhund trials, herding trials, agility events, french ring trials, police dog trials, and more.

The German Shepherd male stands 24 to 26 inches and weighs 80 to 95 pounds while the female stands 22 to 24 inches and weighs 70 to 80 pounds. The breed has a medium length, straight outer coat. Acceptable colours are sable, black and tan, bi-colour and all-black.

bulletHighly active indoors
bulletHightly active outdoors
bulletHighly vigorous and energetic
bulletHighly consistent in behaviour
bulletHighly dominant to strange dogs
bulletModerately dominant to familiar people
bulletHighly territorial
bulletHighly emotionally stable
bulletHighly sociable with children
bulletLow sociability with strangers
bulletHigh rate of learning
bulletHigh problem solving ability
bulletHighly protective
ponda
Cliffer wrote:

I love dogs! Especially pugs, they are so cute. I have three, a black one, a white one and a mixed. They are the friendliest dogs ever. =)
guth75
I love them, and always will, I have just been fond of them since the beginning of time... Rolling Eyes

I just love all long-eared animals that aren't evil Smile
Osbaldo
I also love my dog because dog is faithful animal than other animals.
90dota
Dotchielover wrote:
I do!
These are my dogs:

so big family you are! Very Happy
kenxeiko
90dota wrote:
Dotchielover wrote:
I do!
These are my dogs:

so big family you are! Very Happy

Agree, lol

Btw Dotchielover, they'r nice dogs Wink
TheLimey
I currently do not have a dog however I really really really want one. I used to have a Siberian Husky that I loved. So I think when I get the opportunity to get one I will be buying myself a Siberian husky again.
nguyenvulong
This is my little cute puppy . Some theft has stolen my bigger one Sad , I'm so sad. This is the new one ...
kenxeiko
Aww, nice dog. Very Happy

I remember the first time I have a dog like that. Smile
shivaghimire
From my side I like dog.
busaboss
Count me in! I'm also a dog lover but sadly I lose my dog at a very young age and I haven't got another one since then.
mochipie
Aww nguyenvulong your puppy is super adorable! Sad to hear about your bigger dog. Hopefully he/she's living a nice life right now with his/her new owner...

Heh I love dogs! Smile I've wanted one ever since I was really young... I'm excited that when I finally live by myself, I can get one! (It'll be a couple years until then though, and I should probably wait until I'm financially stable enough... meh seems like quite a long waiting period Sad Least I have my friends' dogs)
nepalstar
I love dogs but not so much....! I've one black+white colored and not so big.. but I wish to have a big one, hope I'll get that.
nigam
I love dogs....they're awesome and its true, dogs are mans bestfriend...i have a dog who always guard me wherever i go...my dog always look after me everytime i go for jogging and i feel safe when my dog is around.
lesbisk
I do love dogs, but it can't be my pet