FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Invisibility cloak 'to be unveiled within months'

subirbasak
Quote:
Your dream of possessing a Harry Potter invisibility cloak could be just months away, at least that's what a British scientist claims.

Sir John Pendry, who pioneered the concept, believes that the cloak that can make an object disappear could be unveiled within next six months.

"The first man-made cloak will be more like an invisibility "carpet", the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Pendry as saying.

As a tiny object is placed underneath it, it will seemingly disappear because the bump the object makes will be hidden from view with an artificial mirage.

Pendry said that the new development would also prove the potential of metamaterials that have an unusual property to interact with light and electronic waves.

These materials could be, in future, used for developing barriers to prevent waves damaging the shore, acoustic cloaks to reduce noise, stealth systems for the military, and faster telecommunications.

They can be designed to hide things by bending radiation around an object as if it were not there, "like water flowing around a stone", said Professor Pendry.

Pendry had discussed about the new materials in a lecture in the US, backing it with the example of Harry Potter.

"I said one of the interesting things they could do is hide things," said Pendry.

The example prompted David Smith of Duke University to build an invisibility cloak.

"They went back and built the darn thing," Pendry added.

In 2006, he unveiled the first cloak, which steered radiation around a copper cylinder, making it invisible to microwave detection.

"I am optimistic work in progress will produce an optical cloak in the next six months," said Pendry.

Source:-http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20090404/981/tsc-invisibility-cloak-to-be-unveiled-wi.html

Quote:
mOrpheuS - Please use quote tags when posting text that you haven't written yourself.
Xaferrow
Whoa,
unbelieveable

i've been wondering of this kind of thing when i was child

>.>
jabce85
yeah, i have read things about clothing that is similar to this technology.. very interesting stuff!
redslazers
well currently the technology is no where near an invisibility cloak

they can currently hide a small bump in a carpet by bending the light around the bump using some sort of filaments.

i doubt they will be able to hide anything near the size of a human any time soon

and plus how would the person hiding be able to see no light would reach his eyes.
Kelvin
I've read about this invisible cloak thingy some years back and it has resurfaced. This must be the better prototype. It'll be interesting to see how all this cloaking devices come to use in the near future. If it really works that well, then there will be a lot more devices needed to be installed for security reasons.
vicar013
yeh sorry, wrong meeting
prithvi
vicar013 wrote:
I believe hardly any one in that prison is a real threat to 'Global Freedom', and the ones that are have probably been on the CIA payroll already (the CIA have and always will back terrorists if in the US interest. it's not news. it happens) so, fukkit release them all back to they're countries. UK authorities who have recieved back released inmates have found nothing dubious about them, they've gone to their homes on probation. US military got them by BREAKING ALL CONVENTION, the prison is a SHAM.

Those who think that detainment without trial is acceptable for the sake of their own security is a.....
Guess what?
and they wont like this, because such irrefutible truth always invokes rightous indignation....

A FASCIST... Well done. Those same good hearted human beings, those well intentioned citizens were there during the Holocaust, thinking "wtf did we sign up to?".

misdirected post Cool
redslazers
prithvi wrote:
vicar013 wrote:
I believe hardly any one in that prison is a real threat to 'Global Freedom', and the ones that are have probably been on the CIA payroll already (the CIA have and always will back terrorists if in the US interest. it's not news. it happens) so, fukkit release them all back to they're countries. UK authorities who have recieved back released inmates have found nothing dubious about them, they've gone to their homes on probation. US military got them by BREAKING ALL CONVENTION, the prison is a SHAM.

Those who think that detainment without trial is acceptable for the sake of their own security is a.....
Guess what?
and they wont like this, because such irrefutible truth always invokes rightous indignation....

A FASCIST... Well done. Those same good hearted human beings, those well intentioned citizens were there during the Holocaust, thinking "wtf did we sign up to?".

misdirected post Cool

i think that post is more than misdirected, its utter madness
sondosia
I suppose they're going to unveil a flying pig, too?

I mean, just a few decades ago, scientists were certain that by now, we'd all have super-intelligent robots in our households, cooking, cleaning, and babysitting. And don't forget the flying cars. I just can't take this stuff seriously anymore.
deanhills
sondosia wrote:
I suppose they're going to unveil a flying pig, too?

I mean, just a few decades ago, scientists were certain that by now, we'd all have super-intelligent robots in our households, cooking, cleaning, and babysitting. And don't forget the flying cars. I just can't take this stuff seriously anymore.
Do you think your great grandmother at the time when she was a child could have predicted the Internet? Or mobile phones? Or airplanes? Around 1890 all of those developments were "science fiction" ones. Yet now everyone is lugging a laptop around, can be reached by mobile phone in the remotest corners of the world, can spy on everyone in the most intrusive of ways, very little information is really confidential once it gets online. So I would say lots has changed. At the same time our memories are probably as short and as significant as the last 10 years only.
Moshkin_Khan
Need to get me a cape and find the nearest girls changing room. Very Happy
icecool
vicar013 wrote:

Guess what?

it would help if you read what the topic is actually about before you start ranting and raving.

but that cloak thingy.

ok, so you can't SEE the bump in the carpet but it's still THERE.
better make sure to put a marker there so you don't trip up Surprised)
Chinmoy
well, the cloak thing is actually hard to create in reality..im talking bout implementation..it can only work on astatic object talking technically...
Fake
i dont need such a cloak,i get ignored as is