FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trying to master night-time pics....

wellerchap
....with just a point & shoot digital camera.
I find the camera must be kept perfectly still, and even then results can be frustratingly bad!
These are some that came out well, from rides out with my scooter club mates.

I'd love any tips / constructive criticism etc from anyone that knows their stuff.
ocalhoun
^I've done night shots with a point-and-shoot as well.

I find that you have to a) put it in the long-exposure mode (hopefully it has one) and b)put it on a tripod.
*edit*
Also, try using the delayed shot function (if available). That way, you won't have the movement caused by you touching the button to worry about. The camera will be perfectly still as it takes the photo, barring any extremely high winds. */edit*
I use one like this:

Which is small enough to conveniently carry, and cheap.

Another thing you can try is photo editing.
Take the photo with normal settings, making sure that the sensitivity of the camera is set to a normal setting that won't produce noise.
Using photoshop, open the picture.
Make several copies of the background layer.
Starting with the top layer, change the copies' blending mode in 'layer blending options' to 'lighten' until the photo is bright enough.

Doing that can imitate a long-exposure shot with just a snapshot to work with.
forkei
i only have a bike ...
wellerchap
ocalhoun wrote:

I find that you have to a) put it in the long-exposure mode (hopefully it has one) and b)put it on a tripod.
*edit*
Also, try using the delayed shot function (if available). That way, you won't have the movement caused by you touching the button to worry about. The camera will be perfectly still as it takes the photo, barring any extremely high winds. */edit*
I use one like this:

Take the photo with normal settings, making sure that the sensitivity of the camera is set to a normal setting that won't produce noise.
Starting with the top layer, change the copies' blending mode in 'layer blending options' to 'lighten' until the photo is bright enough.

Interesting stuff, thanks.....I have a small tripod like yours...the delay setting is an interesting one I've only used when I want to get in the shot, but it does seem logical, what you suggest.
I don't have PhotoShop, I use PaintShopProXI, but find tweaking" nighttime shots just over-eggs the pudding....I'll try the layers suggestion though.
jabce85
..ever try light painting?
wellerchap
jabce85 wrote:

Never heard of it, I'm afraid....do you have any more info, maybe a link to some interesting sites involving it?
Always open to new, interesting arty-farty stuff!
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
jabce85 wrote:

Never heard of it, I'm afraid....do you have any more info, maybe a link to some interesting sites involving it?
Always open to new, interesting arty-farty stuff!

You take a long-exposure shot, while using a flashlight or other light to shine a moving light on what you're photographing. The picture will have trails of light wherever the light beam went. With practice, you can use it to light up only particular objects in a night shot, making them look like they're glowing. (The exposure time on a point-and-shoot will likely not be long enough to do very well with this: you'd have to be very fast with your light.)
wellerchap
Sounds worth having a go ! Very Happy

This weekend I'm hoping to take the plunge & buy an entry-level DSLR, so exposure time & so on will be greatly increased. I've been wanting one for ages, but always there seems other things to spend the spare cash on Crying or Very sad

If my wife doesn't notice the stash of cash I'll be in with a chance!!
erlendhg
ocalhoun wrote:
(The exposure time on a point-and-shoot will likely not be long enough to do very well with this: you'd have to be very fast with your light.)

This is from an average compact digital camera, made with a glowing stick Razz
wellerchap
erlendhg wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
(The exposure time on a point-and-shoot will likely not be long enough to do very well with this: you'd have to be very fast with your light.)

This is from an average compact digital camera, made with a glowing stick Razz

I see....so is the idea to actually draw something that's recognisable in the given time?
My new digital slr camera has a maximum shutter-open time of 60 seconds, so I should be able to reproduce the Mona Lisa in that time! Very Happy
Kashinilaya
ocalhoun wrote:

*edit*
I use one like this:

You have many tricks for photos! I'll try this one too.