FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Street photographer; a brave man!

wellerchap
Just stumbled upon this footage of a street photographer in New York, very daringly snapping close-ups of passers by.
If he's been doing this since the 80's I'd love to know how many times he's been punched!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=kkIWW6vwrvM
Roald
I think it's right if he gets punched, normally you ask if you can take a picture, you don't jump on people and SNAP take a picture. Besides I don't really like the photos.
Solon_Poledourus
If this guy gets some kind of Photography Award for getting a close-up picture of my fist, does he owe me any royalties?
Diablosblizz
I would be a bit confused, but I don't think I'd punch him in the face. His work looks interesting, I'd never want to do it but whatever he likes.
tony
I think I would get very bored with that job, after a while. Just my thoughts though; I guess it works for him.
spring567
I can not open the web.
TentativeChaos
Very interesting. The pictures look cool, and I think the guy's story is cool. I certainly wouldn't puch him, but I can definitely see other people doing so.
deanhills
One of my pet beefs, people taking photographs of you without asking you nicely first. Have happened to me quite a number of times in Vancouver BC where they tend to have TV teams going into the streets to interview people, so generally there is a camera man in the vicinity photographing everything that moves enthusiastically. Or going on a Stanley Park walk and tourists aiming their cameras at everything and everyone. My usual style is to get out of target, but it does irk me. And yes I agree, if this guy is to make money with this photograph or video, perhaps royalties should be coming my way as well. Twisted Evil
speeDemon
haha!! If he'd take a picture of me, then I'd probably just pass by, laughing.. but if it would be my sister or mom... ooooh......... he would get 2 punches + 3 1/2 kicks!! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
sana618
i think i'll just snatch his camera and throw it down n break it up into pieces. i hate some one taking a picture of me with out asking me first, and especially not in this kind of stupid way. moreover all he is getting is angry or surprised expressions, non of them seem happy with what he is doing.
Vladalf
deanhills wrote:
One of my pet beefs, people taking photographs of you without asking you nicely first.

I have the same thing aswell. Usually sometimes people I know photograph me to put me on websites at their friends album or something like that. I hate beeing seen by people I don't know.
sana618 wrote:
I think i'll just snatch his camera and throw it down n break it up into pieces.

I don't think I would go that far, I don't like breaking things, I feel sad afterwards.

Vlad
Ashtray
He's got some interesting shots there. Though I don't think it's ethical to use another person's body/face on a photograph without permission. Do that on my country, and you'll get your ass kicked for sure Confused .
carlospro7
I like the spontaneous photographs. I like pictures where people don't pose and what you see is an actual event, where nobody had to get ready and say cheese. I think it gives the picture a different meaning.
sana618
carlospro7 wrote:
I like the spontaneous photographs. I like pictures where people don't pose and what you see is an actual event, where nobody had to get ready and say cheese. I think it gives the picture a different meaning.

yes it does provided those pictures are taken in a party or some kind of celebrations or even when you are on vacation or picnics. those i think will look nice and beautiful. but a total stranger thrusting his camera into your face in a street is unacceptable for me.
Nameless
Yeah, that guy is getting punched in the face. And then sued. Actually, it would probably be better to do it the other way around, you'd want to stay firmly on the lawful side of the court battle until you had the money in your hand.
airh3ad
COol jobs for me i am fun of taking pictures but im not a good photographer may other person enjoys this cool jobs.
wellerchap
So, most replies negative then, and suggesting the guy is out of order doing what he's doing?
I'm considering training to be a bit more than just an amateur photographer, and find it very interesting people's opinions/attitudes on this type of thing.
I certainly wouldn't be comfortable taking pics of unsuspecting people, or out in public, busy spaces, either....something I may have to overcome, I guess.
ProfessorY91
Yes, most replies are negative. Thats because there is a certain privacy issue with going and snapping photos of random people on the street. Government agents or whatnot are qualified to do that and protect the stuff. He passes off his photographs as art; little insights into other peoples lives where he most certainly does not belong.

I'll bet most people never stopped to consider the fact that some people forbid taking pictures for religious reasons, etc, and don't bullshit me by saying that they aren't going to know.

I was shocked by a comment that defended his right to do this by saying that he was part of a respected group, the Magnum Society. There is absolutely no credibility in that statement, whatsoever because it doesn't change the fact that he still invades other people's private lives.

If I don't punch the bastard, break his camera, and leave him bleeding in the street, I would definitely love the chance to prosecute his sorry ass. Free country, my left buttock.

Bring it.

@wellerchap: I hope you don't "train" to do this sort of thing. I recommend you take some martial arts before you do, anyways. Then hire a good attorney.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
So, most replies negative then, and suggesting the guy is out of order doing what he's doing?
I'm considering training to be a bit more than just an amateur photographer, and find it very interesting people's opinions/attitudes on this type of thing.
I certainly wouldn't be comfortable taking pics of unsuspecting people, or out in public, busy spaces, either....something I may have to overcome, I guess.
Probably just best to follow your instincts. Sometimes you may be able to get away with it, like at parties or public gatherings. Sometimes not a good idea.
mk12327
The end products of his photography does look very interesting. Unfortunately, these photos have to be taken as candid shots to achieve the desired effects. But looking at it from the subject that got photographed, it is actually pretty rude to just suddenly take photos of people up-close.
deanhills
mk12327 wrote:
The end products of his photography does look very interesting. Unfortunately, these photos have to be taken as candid shots to achieve the desired effects. But looking at it from the subject that got photographed, it is actually pretty rude to just suddenly take photos of people up-close.
Right, especially when there is a flash attached to it, as wow, a flash is about the worst for my eyes, I get totally blinded by some. Almost like being attacked ... Smile
jsarnold
I used to be a school teacher, and although mobile phones were not supposed to be used in class, there was no rule to say they weren't allowed to be brought in to school.

As they were so small, it was almost impossible to spot them, and on several occasions pictures were taken of me, video taken, and audio clips made. Quite why I have no idea, and don't want to know, but it certainly did feel a little invasive.

Standing in front of 40 kids giving a lecture was fine, but knowing that lecture was recorded in some way and available 'out there' was a little unnerving. i don't know why, but it's a little as though a part of you is no longer entirely under your own control.
andredesignz
wow he is very very brave at this honestly
Ankhanu
All these negative comments...

There is artistry in what he's doing. Pushing the boundaries with which people are comfortable. Comfort leads to mediocrity, stagnation... it's boring. "I'd never do that," "I don't like when people don't ask," "You have to respect them," these are all barriers that obfuscate truth. The photographer is finding truth; you don't find truth by playing it safe, by doing what's expected. Playing it safe and sticking to the expected simply lets you see the social constructs and contracts built up around each of us to prevent others from glimpsing truth... because we're scared of the truth. We're scared of revealing who and what we are without the carefully constructed masks we've created to hide our insecurities and flaws... despite the fact that insecurity and flaws are an universal human condition.

The idea and imagery of this guy's photos makes people uncomfortable, but anything of worth should push you to think outside the context of your comfort bubble. There's a raw honesty to his photos that I certainly admire. Whether you like the aesthetic quality of his images, I urge you to examine their heart and your own to really understand both the images and your own discomfort.
driftingfe3s
My photography teacher told me about this guy. He has a very unique approach but its a great one in my opinion.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
All these negative comments...

There is artistry in what he's doing. Pushing the boundaries with which people are comfortable.
Perhaps he can really only push his own boundaries, not those of the people he is photographing. From what I saw, about 99% of the sidewalkers were not even aware of his activities. The remainder were a mixture of confusion and irritation. He did take some good photos, but if he were punched during taking some of them, then he deserved that. Just imagine that flash light going off right up close in your face, and getting blinded by it.
Nameless
Ankhanu wrote:
There is artistry in what he's doing. Pushing the boundaries with which people are comfortable.

So you're basically saying that if I randomly started groping strangers, that would also be art? [/Strawman]
sana618
Nameless wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

So you're basically saying that if I randomly started groping strangers, that would also be art? [/Strawman]

ya right..Rolling Eyes until some one had this art of kicking your behind real hard... then your art would be wested on that person, so how would you know which person had that art, and how would avoid that??? Confused Wink
apple
this is silly....he just takes random shots of people who may just want to be left alone and he's an artist?
arquivo
i liked it.. its a diferent way to get "one moment"... and i liked the way he΄s doing his work, just walking and shoting, not thinking so much..just doing the work.. its a great angle view for a photografy work
deanhills
apple wrote:
this is silly....he just takes random shots of people who may just want to be left alone and he's an artist?
Did you have a good look however. He walks right up to the people and into their personal space and then snap them with a flash right in their faces, as he says he has to use the flash light. He does it completely without any warning, nor asking for permission, and he does it aggressively. If he should do that to me, I know he will be in trouble. Art or no art ...
Arty
I like it. Very Happy

Though I have to wonder if this is legal or not.
stel4e
I wouldn't punch him... Very Happy but he's little too spontaneous .... I can say even stressy..... Surprised
wellerchap
If he did it to me I'd be forced by my instinct to give him a real mouthful of abuse, I think....I'm not a violent person, but could fully understand why anyone would take such offence to him that they took a swing !
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
If he did it to me I'd be forced by my instinct to give him a real mouthful of abuse, I think....I'm not a violent person, but could fully understand why anyone would take such offence to him that they took a swing !
I would act exactly in the same way, spontaneously and by instinct. I probably will not punch him, but if that flash goes off in my face, it could have repercussions for him.
ankitdatashn
access denied, my proxy isnt allowing me to watch that, what kind of video was that?
ted1986
haha, maybe he has been used to be punched. Laughing
deanhills
ankitdatashn wrote:
access denied, my proxy isnt allowing me to watch that, what kind of video was that?
It is just a show of this photographer in action in New York photographing characters all the time. He has been doing it for a long time, so one of the TV companies did a show on him. When he takes the photos though, he does it almost aggressively, getting right into the faces of the people and their personal space, and then uses a flash in all of the photos. Pretty intrusive.
Denvis
I would of punched him in the face if he took a picture of me. Go shoot some photos of animals!
GrantasaurusRex
Well, technically, if he's not touching anyone, he's within his rights. Anyone in public can legally be photographed (in the US). I suppose that he could be charged with assault if the subject feels that his/her life is being threatened, but that's probably a stretch in any court.
m-productions
that was an intresting video to watch. im glad i dont live in a big city like that, id be kinda mad if someone came and just randomly took a pic of me,
kriszara
I love candid shots at family get-togethers, parties, etc. But a man snapping flash photos on the street is not OK. I'm sure he thinks the abuse he receives is him suffering for his art.
PatTheGreat42
I think I'd be kind of annoyed if I was just trying to walk to the store or something and all of the sudden there is this guy snapping close ups of my face.
hamza1122
omg. that guy is a freak. man i seriously do wonder how many times has he been punched. How annoying and rude would it be if he just took a photo of you right in your face. WEIRD! lol
sana618
deanhills wrote:
wellerchap wrote:
I would act exactly in the same way, spontaneously and by instinct. I probably will not punch him, but if that flash goes off in my face, it could have repercussions for him.

"my spontaneous act and instinct would be to give him a tight slap in the face, break his camera and also give him a mouthful of abuse"
taking pictures of people in such a rude way is just not acceptable.
foreverdestiny
That is so wrong! if someone took my photo like that I would definitely bash his head off Surprised .