FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Developping Escape Games

Carola_Game
I like playing escape games, but a few weeks ago, I started to develop my first game. It's almost finished now. But it taste for more...

I never worked with VBScript before, but love it to figure it out.

If anyone has good tips for a good escape game, you're welcome to chare them with me Wink

Like the layout or things what have to be really in the game (like puzzles, a good plot...)
Keran
Escape games? What does that exactly mean? Like an action game that requires you to run from something? First or third person perspective, maybe isometric? I suppose if you mean escape as in running and avoiding obstacles, I as a freerunner would very much like to play that game ;] But if it's a puzzle game, then it's not for me ;p

I don't know anything about the VBScript, however I'd really would like to see the fruit of your work, show some screens or something ;]
youandmephotography
Such as escape gravity?
I agree with Keran, I'd like you to explain this a little more
jabce85
yeah, the escape games are really a good idea and fun to boot.. would love to have you post a link for your when it's finished
bsbteng
I like playing escape games too. Can you share your first game to me? I don't know anything about the VBScript, however I'd really would like to see your fruit.
Keran
bsbteng wrote:
I don't know anything about the VBScript, however I'd really would like to see your fruit.

That sentence sounds a little familiar ;p "I'd really would like to see your fruit" however sounds a bit... ambiguous ;p

So it seems everyone likes to play those games, but does anyone care to explain how exactly am I suppose to understand the term "Escape game"? Or at least the author could explain what type of game is he/she making
youandmephotography
Wait I don't understand.

Escape games such as:
The great escape?

I don't think I'm getting this... can anyone explain it please?
Crinoid
Same here: what are escape games? Just curious. I know about large commercial computer games and small, embedded in the operating system package, but it's all.
binsmyth
What are the escape games? Are they the small games that you play just to waste your time? Like minesweeper and all.
I think learning VB would be a great start for developing small games. It is quite easy if you use visual studios and all. You can download it free and legally from dreamspark.com if you are a student
Carola_Game
Sorry for the late reaction. I was on holiday for a few weeks.

Escape games are "point and click" games where you have to find your way out.
For example you're locked in a room and you have to escape by finding and using items to escape, in a lot of them you have to solve puzzles or maththings to unlock locks or drawers, etc.

Hope that makes a little bit sence Wink
Carola_Game
Where to find escape games and feedback?

For example http://www.freegamesnews.com/en/

or http://www.escapegames24.com/

I'm working on a second game now to play online. The first game is a download escape game (didn't know than how to create it to play it online, sorry)
If you didn't play escape games before this one may a little bit difficult reading the feedbacks I got on my game Wink

But as asked above for the ones who want to give it a try:
http://www.escape.carolagame.frih.org/

Please feel free to give feedback so I can improve future games. Thx.
Carola_Game
Keran wrote:
bsbteng wrote:
I don't know anything about the VBScript, however I'd really would like to see your fruit.

That sentence sounds a little familiar ;p "I'd really would like to see your fruit" however sounds a bit... ambiguous ;p

hahaha indeed Wink
Carola_Game
MORE AND BETTER EXPLANATION ON WIKIPEDIA: Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_the_room
Blacklight28
Well, if you want to make a good game, then it has to be origional, give the player something new that hasn't been used before.
And don't make it too hard. A frustrated gamer will most likely stop playing.