FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which food is the healthiest for you?

deanhills
There are so many different confusing ideas of what foods are good for us, so I would imagine most of us fumble around and find what works best for us. So which food is the healthiest for you?
HamsterMan
No one food is the healthiest. For our bodies to work the best we need various vitamins, minerals, fats, sugars, proteins and more. There is no "magic bullet" food that contains all of these. Also remember to avoid most artificial foods, for example, artificially created vitamins, partly hydrogenated fats and food that are loaded with chemicals. Read the labels.

The trick is to not eat the same food all the time, change your diet, try new things and don't set your mind on just eating something specific.
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
The trick is to not eat the same food all the time, change your diet, try new things and don't set your mind on just eating something specific.
Sort of symbolic of life too? As I sometimes find food choices reflect life choices. Change is always as good as a holiday for us. Good thought for the day for me, thanks!
PennyLane
I always take my time to make breakfast (and eat it Smile ) This prevents me from snacking in the morning, and it helps me to keep in shape
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
There are so many different confusing ideas of what foods are good for us, so I would imagine most of us fumble around and find what works best for us. So which food is the healthiest for you?

HamsterMan wrote:
No one food is the healthiest. For our bodies to work the best we need various vitamins, minerals, fats, sugars, proteins and more. There is no "magic bullet" food that contains all of these.

Coincidentally, Hemp seed, or Hemp nut contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids to maintain healthy human life. It is considered to be, pound for pound, the single healthiest natural substance on Earth. A shame it's so misunderstood and mistreated.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:

HamsterMan wrote:
No one food is the healthiest. For our bodies to work the best we need various vitamins, minerals, fats, sugars, proteins and more. There is no "magic bullet" food that contains all of these.

Coincidentally, Hemp seed, or Hemp nut contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids to maintain healthy human life. It is considered to be, pound for pound, the single healthiest natural substance on Earth. A shame it's so misunderstood and mistreated.
I noticed it in all the health stores in Vancouver Canada when I was there last summer. I'm really missing out in this. Would have liked to try it out. Comes highly recommended by the naturopaths, it is really good for digestion, everything you can imagine. Smile
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I noticed it in all the health stores in Vancouver Canada when I was there last summer. I'm really missing out in this. Would have liked to try it out. Comes highly recommended by the naturopaths, it is really good for digestion, everything you can imagine.

It's great. Hemp nut can be used to create milk that's akin to soy milk, it can be made into a flour type substance for making breads and cereals, a tofu-like food, and many other things. Also, hemp seed oil burns hotter and brighter, as well as cleaner, than kerosine.
Ashtray
HamsterMan wrote:
No one food is the healthiest. For our bodies to work the best we need various vitamins, minerals, fats, sugars, proteins and more. There is no "magic bullet" food that contains all of these. Also remember to avoid most artificial foods, for example, artificially created vitamins, partly hydrogenated fats and food that are loaded with chemicals. Read the labels.

Ditto that.

Many people tend to think that fats, for example, are dangerous and nasty. The truth is, that a minimun amount of fat is needed for the nerve cells to work properly- you do need fat to think! Of course, living out of fat isn't healthy either. But so is living out of veggies (Yes, vegan have lots of trouble because they lack some things that veggies don't have!).
youandmephotography
Food pyramids give information about some foods and how "good" they are for you, but really they are ratios for you to eat with.

As others have said, the key is to eat everything in balance
biljap
Eating different thing every day is the best. And having a lot of fruits, vegetables and drinking water.
8166UY
Indeed, you have to eat a bit of everything to get all the required things into your body. Fruit has got a lot of vitamins, while bread has got the fibres, pasta has the proteins and meat the fat-solvable minerals like vitamin B12. The real hard thing is to balance everything out.
tony
deanhills wrote:

I think it is best to have a lot of different kinds of food. To keep it balanced diet. That is just my personal idea or preference Smile
deanhills
tony wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I think it is best to have a lot of different kinds of food. To keep it balanced diet. That is just my personal idea or preference Smile
Good point. They say in Japan they eat more than a 100 different foods in a week. Tiny bits. When we eat too much of the same over a period of time, such as bread for example in large quantities, we could become allergic to wheat.
mikakiev
Seafood.
nigam
fruit and vegetables are the healthiest food...i remember a man who only eats vegetables and he is in his 100yrs. of age....he said that if you want to live longer, just eat vegetables only....whew!!! for me, i can't live to eat vegetables only all the time!!![/i]
hangnhu
fruit and vegs are so obvious

I say steam spring rolls with salad, meat ball and fish sauce,
it have almost everything (except fruit, unless you count lemon juice) in the mix
veg, meat, fish, carb, fat, dairy, um... what else in the food group? I'm sure it in there too

check it out here http://www.noodlepie.com/2004/07/stall_1006_banh.html
yeah, apparently some call it noodlepie
I sometime call it steam rice roll (because it not noodle)

8166UY
Fish sauce contains tons of calories, so that would be a drawback. Wink
driftingfe3s
nigam wrote:
fruit and vegetables are the healthiest food...i remember a man who only eats vegetables and he is in his 100yrs. of age....he said that if you want to live longer, just eat vegetables only....whew!!! for me, i can't live to eat vegetables only all the time!!![/i]

I guess I'd have to agree with this. But I'd also say what probably is the most important is to have a balanced diet.
tarunbhardwaj06
thnxs a lot budddyyyy!!!!!! plz gv sm info about gyming...
Crinoid
The same kind of food is very different if it was grown in different country and preserved in different way. Found this is a hard way. Trying different kinds of meat and vegetables and noting what works better for you may be most reliable way. Availability and affordability also matters.
The interesting things are a Stone Age Diet, Low Glycaemic Index Diet (more about this could be found through search engine or here).

If meat and potatoes, fruits, cheese and milk with a bread do not work well - this is kind of agriculture specific, country specific - then chicken breast, fried in small amount of olive oil, eggs and broccoli may work. Add fruits and calabrese style bread.
Piucca
mikakiev wrote:
Seafood.

I agree with you.
gtara1
using oat meal with chia, spirolina, tumeric, garlic powder, great mixture,
Crinoid
On the other hand, the best will be an organic grown food, without gene engineering involved, not refined, fresh or with minimum preservatives. Meat, green vegetables, fermented milk products, not too sugary fruits.
natilovesmike
well, I am currently trying to loose weight, so what I am doing is eating smaller portions and trying to add more vegetables and protein and less fat and carbohydrates. But I know I need them all to be healthy so I do eat mosrtly anything but in smaller quantities. I lost almost 20 lb in 2 weeks but now even though I am still eating very little I am loosing weight a lot slower...which is kind of frustrating because it is not very reinforcing. And this is the wrong time to start eating less with the holidays here! but I am committed so no matter how hard it is I will stick to it.

So, in summary I guess it depends on the person. In my case I feel it is healthier to reduce my calorie intake because I need to loose a lot of weight. But I still try to eat a little bit of everything to stay healthy and get all the nutrients my body needs.
Guelila
I think that fruits and cereal (the healthy ones) are a few of the healthiest foods for us.
My breakfast almost always consists of cereal with milk and then some type of fruit.
This way, I think that I am getting a lot of the nutrients my body needs, like protein, calcium, vitamins, fiber, etc.
deanhills
Guelila wrote:
I think that fruits and cereal (the healthy ones) are a few of the healthiest foods for us.
My breakfast almost always consists of cereal with milk and then some type of fruit.
This way, I think that I am getting a lot of the nutrients my body needs, like protein, calcium, vitamins, fiber, etc.
You have a good point, including that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, otherwise the body does not burn its fuel properly. I'm really bad with this. I prefer some juice and only really get hungry later in the morning or by noon.
Helios
IMO it really depends on the individual person.
The best thing would be going to a dietician with a "fresh" blood result, and he/she will tell you what's healthy for you during the next few months. I try doing that every half year or a year, and so far so good. Using this 'method' I discovered I need a constant B12 supply (1000ug per day) along with folic acid of course, and no way I could get that from just food. Other than that, I discovered I'm not allowed to have a lot of sugary and fatty food, or else I'm in line for some diabetes.

So yeah, lots of salads, small amounts of sweet food, chicken/turkey meat, lots of baked and steamed food. That's about all I can eat safely.
iyepes
I was taught that the best way to be healthy was taking food of all groups, in a balanced way. Moderation is the key, nothing in excess.

There's a theory about fish and sea food in general helped our ancestors to develop the brain that homo sapiens has. Maybe including it still remains being a good idea for our future generations Smile
sigT
I very much liked the reply by HamsterMan above. It is very sensible to say that there is no "magic bullet" if it comes to food. His few points are very wise too. Avoid too much artificial food, vary things you eat, -- sounds reasonable.

From my own experience, I will add that it is very useful to try to understand why you sometimes may feel hungry despite the fact that you might have eaten up a full dinner, and determine the most natural food that makes your body happy in that case. For me, it's often the matter of an orange or some salad leaves that I eat to feel healthier.

Also it's important not to abuse heavy foods or drinks, like meat or alcohol, because if you do, you'll feel weaker than if you wouldn't -- guaranteed (tried many times on myself Razz ).
mshafiq
Tomato

Lycopene one of the strongest carotenoids acts as an antioxidant. tomatoes may
cut the risk of bladder, stomach and colon cancers in half if eaten daily. A tomato has 26 calories, 0 fat and 1 gram of fiber. lycopene is best absorbed when eaten with a little fat.
mshafiq
Raisins

Raisins are a great source of iron, which helps the blood transport oxygen and which many women are short on. A half-cup has 218 calories, 0 fat and 3 grams of fiber. if we Sprinkle raisins on our morning oatmeal or bran cereal it will be tasty and great source of iron - women, consider this especially during your period.
sigT
mshafiq wrote:
Raisins

Great! Take care not to eat too much of that stuff though. Smile Smile

Many kinds of food can be characterised as life-sustaining (sugar, fat, etc.). It is possible not to eat raisins, but try not to eat sugars and you'll see the difference! Nevertheless, it would have been a mistake, in this particular context, to say that sugar is the healthiest option.

Hope you see my point. The question is how to build an argument.
mshafiq
East or west Cereal is the best
====================

I have been hearing since long that cereal is an excellent food.
Now it came to its proof.

Believe me, I have been suffering from continual constipation (though it was not chronic).

Recently I had to take care of my two babies as my wife was in hospital (I got new baby girl on 06-Feb-2010) and used cereal (by Kellogg) in the morning as breakfast.
I could not believe how easy it was for me for having relief from sitting on commode for longer time.

It was proved because I am now using every morning it is working.

so I can say "East or west Cereal is the best".
mrcool
all vegetables for me is the healthy food....
Greatking
i would say foods filled with vitamins and the minerals to enable our bodies function properly. fruits adn vegetables and other cabohydrates and proteins etc just to mention a few. a balanced food example vegetable source with plain rice. or soup and potatoes etc.
menino
I agree that eating healthy foods, must be varied from time to time.
But I'm amazed about hemp and its qualities. Its almost like a magic bullet.

But who would eat hemp all day, unless in extreme cases.
mshafiq
I would like to say we must add nuts (I like walnuts the most).
Thanks!
nigam
an apple a day keeps the doctor away..........
programitv
I try to avoid overproccessed food, fast foods, food with a lot of conservants. Besides, I try to be careful with the fat, especially animal fat and to eat a lot of fresh and fruit vegetables.
parat1
I eat lots and lots of steamed veggies. You can buy the frozen veggies and just put them in the microwave in a plastic bag with alittle water. I also eat alot of seafood and fish. Probably 3 times a week for the fish the rest is usually chicken. I stay away from red meat unless its a special occation just because the fat content is so high.

You can really do alot with the veggies I spice them to the hilt.
My 14 yr old son eats them too so if it pleases a 14 yr old boy you know its gotta taste half way decently
menino
mshafiq wrote:
Tomato

cut the risk of bladder, stomach and colon cancers in half if eaten daily. A tomato has 26 calories, 0 fat and 1 gram of fiber. lycopene is best absorbed when eaten with a little fat.

I agree with mshafiq, and also all natural sources of food - mainly fruits and vegetables.
Almond
Potato Chips. (crisps in England)

contain a load of stuff you need for health. But they are fattening in large amounts
matamlayin
Banana! Along with other fruits and vegetables, consumption of bananas is associated with a reduced risk of colorectal cancer[18] and in women, breast cancer and renal cell carcinoma.

Individuals with a latex allergy may experience a reaction to bananas.

Bananas contain considerable amounts of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium. The latter makes them of particular interest to athletes who use them to quickly replenish their electrolytes.

In India, juice is extracted from the corm and used as a home remedy for jaundice, sometimes with the addition of honey, and for kidney stones.
nigam
menino wrote:
mshafiq wrote:
Tomato

I agree with mshafiq, and also all natural sources of food - mainly fruits and vegetables.

are those tomato sauce with lycopene, is that what you mean too? if yes, i will be using tomato sauce everyday!!! hope someone will give me an answer with this Smile
timothymartin
Carrot juice is analogous to the blood. I call it the duct tape of nutrition. I have lots of personal stories as well as others of the results of carrot juice.
nigam
timothymartin wrote:
Carrot juice is analogous to the blood. I call it the duct tape of nutrition. I have lots of personal stories as well as others of the results of carrot juice.

would you kind enough to share some stories regarding the results of carrot juice? i would love to hear it though Smile
app893
I feel most of the food such as fruit,vegetables and corns are suitable for our body,less fats and so on.in an other hand,we must eat less meat in our daily life.
deanhills
Right now. Avocado. It is a powerhouse of nutrition, also very high in fiber and good fat. I started eating more of it when I was on a raw foods diet a couple of months ago, wondering whether I would gain weight, as usually I was careful with my consumption of avocados. I actually lost weight with eating more avocados.

I also think lemon is one of the healthiest foods one can find. I usually combine my avocado with lemon and lots of tomato and garlic. A really nice and healthy snack to have before dinner. Smile
Cliffer
an apple a day keeps doctor away..............haha~~
Cliffer
hangnhu wrote:
fruit and vegs are so obvious

I say steam spring rolls with salad, meat ball and fish sauce,
it have almost everything (except fruit, unless you count lemon juice) in the mix
veg, meat, fish, carb, fat, dairy, um... what else in the food group? I'm sure it in there too

check it out here http://www.noodlepie.com/2004/07/stall_1006_banh.html
yeah, apparently some call it noodlepie
I sometime call it steam rice roll (because it not noodle)

it is chinese canton food,i like to eat it very much.
jwellsy
Psyllium Husk has the highest natural fiber content you can find. It doesn't have squat for nutritional values, but it sure keeps the plumbing moving.
deanhills
I've been using extra virgin coconut oil for cooking, howevever discovered it is good for skin ailments as well. I developed slight eczema and it has helped almost instantly, but only when you apply it topically. I am using it internally and externally right now. As it gives a nice flavour to cooking as well.
menino
nigam wrote:
menino wrote:
mshafiq wrote:
Tomato

are those tomato sauce with lycopene, is that what you mean too? if yes, i will be using tomato sauce everyday!!! hope someone will give me an answer with this Smile

Hi Nigam,
Usually with processed foods, they don't have all the nutrients that the actual fruit contains.
If it does have lycopene, it will be in trace amounts, and tomato sauce has more sugar in it than actual tomatoes.
It would be good to eat tomatoes as is fresh, or mix it with other ingredients such as cucumbers or use it as a compliment to mail meals, to get its full nutritional value.
menino
deanhills wrote:
I've been using extra virgin coconut oil for cooking, howevever discovered it is good for skin ailments as well. I developed slight eczema and it has helped almost instantly, but only when you apply it topically. I am using it internally and externally right now. As it gives a nice flavour to cooking as well.

I used to cook with olive oil as well, until a friend told me that heating up the olive oil is not healthy.
It breaks up its internal compounds and turns it into saturated fats.
But I just found out that it is not true, unless you keep cooking in the same oil over and over again (which I don't do).
But Olive oil makes salads more edible. Laughing
jwellsy
deanhills wrote:

I had that as a kid, cured it with vitamin D . Started exposing the area to sunlight and fresh air.

I currently take flax seed oil every day. Without it my skin dries out to the point of hurting.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
I had that as a kid, cured it with vitamin D . Started exposing the area to sunlight and fresh air.

I currently take flax seed oil every day. Without it my skin dries out to the point of hurting.
Thanks for the tip. Will try this as well. Do you use the flax seed oil topically or internally, or both? Smile
mshafiq
I use garlic sauce now days and apparently I am feeling well.

I would like to discuss if there is any harm if we eat in excess.
If yes, what quantity should be called excess?

Thanks
congra
i think everything is good for me. eat all kinds of food and absorb nutrition.