FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange weather in the Middle East!

deanhills
We rarely get rain in the Middle East. Where I am rain happens about 5 times in the year, and usually in winter in January, and we've had all of that in January. There are wind storms, but usually they're around for a day or two and then disappear. For the last three weeks we have had continuous wind storms, of the worst I've seen and strangest of occurrences of real hard pelting rain and spectacular thunder and electric storms over the last week. We even had a rainbow one day, the first I'd seen here in all of my 8 years. Total out of character type weather here. Wonder what it is like in the rest of the world, as usually when it is like this in the Middle East, strange weather seems to occur in the rest of the world as well.
Afaceinthematrix
It's been a relatively dry year in Southern California... again (we need some wet winters)!
deanhills
Rain is of a different variety here, especially the ones that come with the dust storms (the ones in January were clean ones). Imagine it raining dirty rain. As though the air contains dust and even when it's raining the dust does not go away, it just gets wet. Once the pelting has stopped there may or may not be a few hours reprieve from the wind, which are nice hours as the air is much easier to deal with and can even be called fresh. Hopefully this weekend has been the last.

Hope it will be raining in California soon. Smile
Helios
I don't know exactly where you live in the ME, but I, living in Israel, totally agree with your description of the weather here.
This year though was a bit wetter than usual; I can remember around 10 - 15 rainy days.
The strange thing about the weather is not the dry climate, but the sudden changes in temperature. I've lived here for several years, and the climate is just getting more and more astable...
deanhills
Helios wrote:
The strange thing about the wether is not the dry climate, but the sudden changes in temperature. I've lived here for several years, and the climate is just getting more and more astable...
I live near Oman. They say that is one of the spots closest to hell as it really gets hot during summer Smile But yes, the weather has been changing off late and I've also noticed the complete change in temperatures from one day to the next. Today was not as bad, first relatively calm day with soft winds, so imagine the temperatures will now be picking up after the big rains.
Jinx
Weather has been weird here in the states, too. We have just had our second late season blizzard, the Red River was at a record flood level last week (43ft), and those parts of the country that aren't being snowed under are in a severe drought.
apple
I'm in the Caribbean and we have had less and less rain for this year so far.
sana618
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
The strange thing about the wether is not the dry climate, but the sudden changes in temperature. I've lived here for several years, and the climate is just getting more and more astable...
I live near Oman. They say that is one of the spots closest to hell as it really gets hot during summer Smile But yes, the weather has been changing off late and I've also noticed the complete change in temperatures from one day to the next. Today was not as bad, first relatively calm day with soft winds, so imagine the temperatures will now be picking up after the big rains.

ya i know what you mean. i was near there, this last week.
the last 2 days was so hot that it was really not possible for
any kind of out door activity.
deanhills
sana618 wrote:
Agreed. It is heating up now, but not near where it will be when it gets to July/August Laughing
vineeth
Hello Middle East, I reached Kuwait yesterday evening and planning to work here for next two years. Here also we got some rains but I don't know much about the seasons here...
deanhills
vineeth wrote:
Hello Middle East, I reached Kuwait yesterday evening and planning to work here for next two years. Here also we got some rains but I don't know much about the seasons here...
Welcome to the Middle East! I hear there is a lot of trouble in Kuwait right now. How is that affecting everyone where you are? Smile
coolclay
It's fairly normal where I am at least now, on Catalina Island, off the coast of California, US. It was unseasonably warm all winter though. It doesn't surprise me all the changing weather patterns though. Its a symptom of climate change, we had a large die off of brown pelicans this spring scientists attribute that to unseasonably warm weather this past winter that kept them further north this winter where they were unable to get enough food.
Helios
deanhills wrote:
sana618 wrote:
Agreed. It is heating up now, but not near where it will be when it gets to July/August Laughing

Oh, don't remind me Rolling Eyes
End of July and August are some horrible days...
loyal
deanhills wrote:
We rarely get rain in the Middle East. Where I am rain happens about 5 times in the year, and usually in winter in January, and we've had all of that in January. There are wind storms, but usually they're around for a day or two and then disappear. For the last three weeks we have had continuous wind storms, of the worst I've seen and strangest of occurrences of real hard pelting rain and spectacular thunder and electric storms over the last week. We even had a rainbow one day, the first I'd seen here in all of my 8 years. Total out of character type weather here. Wonder what it is like in the rest of the world, as usually when it is like this in the Middle East, strange weather seems to occur in the rest of the world as well.

Peace.

In which country do you live?
I know that in Jordan, there's heavy snow. Do you get that?

Thanks,
deanhills
loyal wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Peace.

Thanks,

I live near Oman. No snow here. This is the hottest place on earth! Jordan, Egypt and Lebanon weather is quite different from here. Smile

Helios wrote:
deanhills wrote:
sana618 wrote:

Not looking forward to it at all. Sad
TentativeChaos
Two words: Global Warming
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
vineeth wrote:
Welcome to the Middle East! I hear there is a lot of trouble in Kuwait right now. How is that affecting everyone where you are? Smile

THANKS
I don't know much about the situations... Just settling down here.
I am in Abbasiya.
sana618
deanhills wrote:
loyal wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Peace.

Thanks,

I live near Oman. No snow here. This is the hottest place on earth! Jordan, Egypt and Lebanon weather is quite different from here. Smile

Helios wrote:
deanhills wrote:
sana618 wrote:

Not looking forward to it at all. Sad

it rained again last night and today morning here in Dubai all the parking area is flooded in water. and as for the hot summer it extends to the month of September too. anyways i'm planning to go to India during summer months, anybody else planning their summer vacation??
driftingfe3s
Yeah the weather is pretty freaky all over the place. I remember over the past winter times when it would switch between being warm to cold. My friend is telling me about ridiculous weather right now where he lives where it's been switching between warm weather and cold weather with rain/snow.
PatTheGreat42
Any major effects from the rainfall, like stuff y'all ain't prepared for?
andredesignz
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

Thats a really good question i also wonder
deanhills
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I don't know whether you were hoping for frogs Laughing but since the rain came with intense dust storms, and there was a lot of dust in the air, it was sort of dirty rain in combination. When it is dusty like that sometimes there are also a number of flies around, but thankfully they have disappeared. Only good part about flies is that usually there are bee eaters that come out to hunt them (a very beautiful bird) and they are really entertaining to watch as they have some interesting air acrobatics in the process. Smile

http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/bee-eaters.html
airh3ad
Well thats good if that rain continue to your place im sure the enviroment well be good.How about the Dust Storms and Dry of the land there? Can i say that your place is the hottest place on earth?
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
Can i say that your place is the hottest place on earth?
Definitely in the middle of summer. They say we are very closely situated to hell Laughing
Fatality
Weather has been pretty normal where I live in Minnesota. Weather is never 'normal' here, but it hasn't been out of the ordinary.
sana618
deanhills wrote:
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I don't know whether you were hoping for frogs Laughing but since the rain came with intense dust storms, and there was a lot of dust in the air, it was sort of dirty rain in combination. When it is dusty like that sometimes there are also a number of flies around, but thankfully they have disappeared. Only good part about flies is that usually there are bee eaters that come out to hunt them (a very beautiful bird) and they are really entertaining to watch as they have some interesting air acrobatics in the process. Smile

http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/bee-eaters.html

well there aren't any such beautiful near my place but there are a lot of pigeons and cats. sometimes its funny to watch the cats jumping like crazy and trying to catch the flies not that they succeed. and as for the weather its more pleasant then it has ever been at this time of year. not at all hot, but sunny as i think the westerners call it, for us it is cooler weather.