FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Printer Turning Itself On

Terrasis-Cian
For a few years i had an Epson Stylus CX3200 which i never liked accept for the first day i bought it. One thing that was not much of a problem but always annoyed me, was the way it would turn itself on ANY time it was plugged in. I would swtich it off and there! After a few seconds it turns on again!

Recently i Bought a HP, very nice printer, and to my dismay the same thing is happening :O however i find it somewhat amusing at this stage. But does anybody know why these printers keep turning themselves on ?? Its ever so peculiur.
Diablosblizz
There is something wrong with your electrical circuits in your house, if two of them started restarting. Try plugging something, other than the printer, into the socket (if you used the same one for both) and see if it turns off, use a light not a computer.

If that fails, then that's really odd and you have (had) two faulty computers.
ciureanuc
"Recently i Bought a HP, very nice printer, and to my dismay the same thing is happening :O however i find it somewhat amusing at this stage. But does anybody know why these printers keep turning themselves on ?? Its ever so peculiur."

Try to check if you have "Wake on Lan" activated.
I had the same problem with my PC: the BIOS have this option activated.
Maybe the printer have also this option. I know that my HP4700 printer have it.
Now, how is possible to "wake on LAN" if you don't send signal? I tell you now what the people said to me: even a small current, a small power variation can "suggest" to the printer that something is happen on the network.
Does your printer is on UPS? If not, try for a day or two to keep it on UPS and see the results.
Terrasis-Cian
Thanks ill try and mess around with the settings a bit
fadirocks
i keep my printer unplugged most of the time because I don't use it hehe
the only time I use it when i need to scan something
weableandbob
It's possessed! Try unplugging the printer from the computer and see if that helps it, and if not, you can always just unplug the printer =P
Helios
LOL, try unplugging it from electricity source and see if it turns on, maybe it's really possessed Laughing

Honestly though, it must be due to some configuration, like 'wake on lan' or similar.
If not, then you are, unfortunately, got a bad printer again - but I doubt that this is the case
badai
for inkjet printer that you seldom use, it's better to leave it on so that when it can receive initialization signal from your pc and initialize its' print head. this will avoid ink clogging in your print head.
Terrasis-Cian
ya id say i'll leave it on... Im just gonna have to give in to it... LOL i think it is possessed.. i dont wanna piss it off :O Very Happy
Parkour_Jarrod
Terrasis-Cian wrote:
ya id say i'll leave it on... Im just gonna have to give in to it... LOL i think it is possessed.. i dont wanna piss it off :O Very Happy

Run away form the possesed printers... my Canon does the same Surprised