FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How rich are we compared to the rest of the world?

redslazers
I was reading another forum today and i came across a posting like this and there were some interesting views and i want to know what you think.

i think we are in the top 10% of the population becuase we have a computer and internet connection (becuase that is the only generalization about all the people on this forum you can make)

ya so what do you think?

btw, for any one with less than 10 posts who is think about starting a crappy thread or post some lame response dont. post a good reasonable response and i will give you $FRI.
jsarnold
You can see exactly how rich you are compared to the rest of the world using this calculator:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
ocalhoun
According to that website, I'm in the 10.94%, just under 10...

It needs to be a bit more relative though, because the cost of living is very different in different places. If I made half as much as I do, I would still be in the top 13%, but I would be struggling to survive with that much.
redslazers
ya judging how rich you are compared to the rest of the world is not as easy as looking at how much you earn but what luxeries you have in life and if your basic needs are fulfilled
speeDemon
ciureanuc
The test result for me (http://www.globalrichlist.com/)
You are the 733,199,881 richest person in the world!
You're in the TOP 12.21% richest people in the world!

The test result for my girlfriend:
You are the 830,707,293 richest person in the world!
You're in the TOP 13.84% richest people in the world!

We are Eastern Europeans, living in Eastern Europe.
I don't know what do you think about yourself but we feel rich because we can afford to travel all over the Europe (and in future maybe all over the world).
We don't care about the cars (btw, we don't have one), gold, new computers, many clothes... this "power" to travel make us rich.

How do YOU use your wealth?
ankitdatashn
It says that I am on the top 14.13 people of this world.

Plenty of achievements to get to move upto top 1 %!!
Hogwarts
If I stopped my education and started working full-time, apparently I'd be in the top 1%. That's not half bad; although I'd question the accuracy of that formula.

Also, speeDemon, why do you feel the compulsion to post useless pictures in a thread without actually contributing to it? Rolling Eyes

redslazers wrote:
btw, for any one with less than 10 posts who is think about starting a crappy thread or post some lame response dont. post a good reasonable response and i will give you $FRI.

Trying that never works. Ever Sad
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
although I'd question the accuracy of that formula.
Totally agreed. The Website seems to be a gimmick anyway, as its goal is to get people to contribute from their earnings, so possibly they are trying to inflate the percentages to make you feel guilty? Sort of a trick in my estimation anyways!

Hogwarts wrote:
Also, speeDemon, why do you feel the compulsion to post useless pictures in a thread without actually contributing to it? Rolling Eyes
Totally agreed. There's been quite a bit of that, not sure what this contribution means anyway. It's supposed to be a discussion forum. There is another forum for posting photos.

Hogwarts wrote:
redslazers wrote:

Nice gesture on redslazers part. Agreed with Hogwarts however that it won't work. People who post like this will probably not care enough to want to get that deep into the thread to (a) read redslazers generous offer or (b) think about the quality of their posting. They will just grab any thread and do something really mindless. There is one thread that I picked up on somone who had three postings in a row consisting of quotes of the last posting in the thread with the exact same comment "This is cool" or something to that effect. Sad
missdixy
Says I am in the top 14.6%! Dang...that's kind of sad, because I'm not really that rich at all..
speeDemon
haha sorry guys! I was just having some fun..

anyway, the calculator isnt really accurate, the website wants you to donate money, so it would show you in the 'rich' category....
redslazers
redslazers wrote:

Quote:

Dam, i thought it would but hey
Quote:
biljap
According to http://www.globalrichlist.com/, I am not the poorest bat I am not even somewhere in the middle...
Well... I do what I can to have normal life but it is really hard when family expect that you share everything you earn with them... It is sad that when you look in the future you can’t see yourself going away from home and living in a town you work, alone, having your life the way you want. Since I know for myself there are some things that most of the people take for something normal, not luxury... I never managed to have it. There is always someone pulling you down with them… And now, this financial crisis… Things get even worse. Confused
I know there are people in much more worse situations than me, and I think it is sad that there are people who might not even have something to eat… That doesn’t make me accept my situation and it can’t stop me from wanting better life.
spring567
Most of my friend or people in my city have computer,but I don't think we are in the top 10% of the population . Computer is very cheep now and it is very easy to connect to the internet .
watersoul
If you have food in your stomach, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and a handful of people that love you then you truly are rich!
Too many people in the world don't have that, there's only relative poverty in my country - no malnutrition etc apart from cases of child neglect in broken disfunctional alcoholic/drug abuse families - we don't have absolute poverty (walking miles for water and living without basic healthcare) so yep, I'm lucky lucky lucky being born in the "western" world and all of us are rich compared to some parts of our planet.

The tragedy of it all is that our developed societies depend on a big section of the world having next to nothing - there's not enough oil for everyone to run cars and air-con etc...its such a shame.
The answer to solving this though? I don't know, but if you have regular internet access (a luxury on the scale of life) it's difficult to imagine that you're anything other than rich!

Sad
Fatality
There are many factors that would play into 'how rich' you really are. Some of have been mentioned such as cost of living, but how much you make doesn't define how rich you are either. A person who makes $50,000 a year who saves his money or invests it and spends wisely will probably have more money then a person who make $100,000 a year and has no regard for savings and buys everything they want. According to the site I'm in the top 7% but somehow I think that is wrong being as I don't make a whole lot.
redslazers
Fatality wrote:
There are many factors that would play into 'how rich' you really are. Some of have been mentioned such as cost of living, but how much you make doesn't define how rich you are either. A person who makes $50,000 a year who saves his money or invests it and spends wisely will probably have more money then a person who make $100,000 a year and has no regard for savings and buys everything they want. According to the site I'm in the top 7% but somehow I think that is wrong being as I don't make a whole lot.

here is something else to think about, quality of the lifestyle you live

who wants to earn 150,000 a year and have no free time to do anything that would make you like interesting, when you could earn 80 or 90 thousand and be just as happy if you had lots of time to enjoy your self

for example, my dad used to work for a big corporation earning a certain amount, but he had like no time for anything fun or interesting other than the corporate golf games and a bit of company travel. but he didn't really like the lifestyle because it gave him no time with his family, so he quit his job, found a job that pays half his current income but he has to work alot less and although he earns half as much as before i can safely say that he is a richer person now with lots of time for family and friends and interesting projects

edit: edited it because, it didn't make any sense (thanks hogwarts)
Hogwarts
What are you trying to say, redslazers? You're presenting a hypothetical situation that doesn't actually go anywhere.

Why does earning $150,000 per year remove the possibility of having a life outside work? That appears to be what you're saying, anyway. You've now successfully confused me Sad
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
for example, my dad used to work for a big corporation earning a certain amount, but he had like no time for anything fun or interesting other than the corporate golf games and a bit of company travel. but he didn't really like the lifestyle because it gave him no time with his family, so he quit his job, found a job that pays half his current income but he has to work alot less and although he earns half as much as before i can safely say that he is a richer person now with lots of time for family and friends and interesting projects
Great idea. Does he enjoy what he is doing? I can imagine he must be much happier? So in his case this is working well, as you are right, why work yourself to death with no time available for family at a higher salary. He must be very well planned. I admire him for that! Can imagine it had to take a great attitude adjustment as well? As some times there are status considerations as well in higher-paid positions.

Obviously in your dad's situation this worked out very well, but I can imagine that sometimes this can be a problem, as people who receive lower salaries sometimes have to work much harder than people who earn higher salaries, along the lines of the slaves. They also have to take more abuse Smile
bigt
I will go a step further and say that "how rich" you really are is more relative than Fatality pointed out. For instance, I could be more 'rich' making $60,000/yr than someone making $100,000/yr based on my happiness and having a family. In my eyes I might have everything I'll ever need and the 100K guy could spend his whole life chasing money he can't take with him when he dies. I'd also venture to say that our ideas and freedoms are what truly make us rich.

Fatality wrote:
carlospro7
I saw a link to this same website a long time ago. being a college student, and working only part time for a small number of hours, I am around the top 14 percent.
Ghost900
I got in the Top 14.04% area.

I am a ways from the top 10% but I'm still up there.

I would hate to be a (Always Busy) rich person so I am happy if I stay around the top 10% Smile and have some free time.
Hogwarts
I'm currently still trying to work out why there is apparently always a major difference between getting paid wealthily and having a life outside work. I honestly can't see why that appears to be the stigma around here. Of course, some people purely have crap jobs, but as proven by the millions of people who have positively excellent jobs, there really is no reason why being well-paid results in one having no non-work life.
standready
I know there are few people out there that are better off me. I know there are many people out there whos situation is far worst than mine. If I can get out of bed in the morning and have a decent day, I am happy.
redslazers
Hogwarts wrote:
I'm currently still trying to work out why there is apparently always a major difference between getting paid wealthily and having a life outside work. I honestly can't see why that appears to be the stigma around here. Of course, some people purely have crap jobs, but as proven by the millions of people who have positively excellent jobs, there really is no reason why being well-paid results in one having no non-work life.

i was ,mearly using an example and most of the paid alot people i have meet dont have that much spare time so that where im getting my generalisation from. Im not actually saying that they dont have a life it just isnt an enjoyable one
8166UY
My parents are at the top 0,9%, but I get with my student funds a good 14.49%, from the state. Very Happy
Insanity
I'm assuming there will be different results compared with your country and the rest of the world... the global comparison would probably lead you to be better off relatively if you live in a developed country like the US.
Zombie
Wow speeDemon, those pictures really put it in perspective.
Lucy
I had no idea o.O according to this im in the top 0.33 %
ParsaAkbari
Its very strange to see how most people are so poor and so people are so so rich.
spring567
ParsaAkbari wrote:
Its very strange to see how most people are so poor and so people are so so rich.

Because some one is lucky and some one is unlucky.
tony
I think it's an interesting idea, for a website, to get people thinking about the disparity between the rich and the poor in this world.
AresCJ
It's sad, but it's even more miserable when they brag and boast about themselves, like they are better than someone else.
shkumbin
I don't think is moral or any person to have billions of dollars, because who knows how he got that money by fraud, coruption, and who know what elese, and rich people are always arrogant, snarky, just bad, there are of course good peole who gioe to charity but as everyone can see rich people mostly are bad people who dont contribute much to the community or the world
Subsonic Sound
What's telling about the linked website - I put in a very low figure to see what would happen, and the site told me I'm in the bottom 5% of the world, wealth-wise... and then tried to guilt me into donating some of my oodles of cash.

Not exactly an unbiased scientific measure, I suspect.