FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

strange facts in history

yagnyavalkya
The condom was invented in the early 1500's, and was originally made of linen.
In England and the American colonies they year 1752 only had 354 days. In that year, the type of calendar was changed, and 11 days were lost The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC. The shortest war there has ever been was between Britain and Zanzibar during 1896. It lasted for a pathetic 38 minutes.

The Hundred Year War actually lasted for 116 years – from 1337 to 1453.
Everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had -- that the heart was the seat of intelligence.
In 200 BC, when the Greek city of Sparta was at the height of its power there were 20 slaves for every citizen.
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
In 200 BC, when the Greek city of Sparta was at the height of its power there were 20 slaves for every citizen.
Interesting factoid. Where did you get these from?
Solon_Poledourus
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Erm - correction - condoms were in use in ancient Egypt. They were made of linen as well.
Here are a few more:
King Otto of Bavaria, started every morning by shooting a peasant. To oblige him, his subjects would secretly give him a pistol loaded with blanks; a person dressed as a peasant would drop to the ground at the sound of the gun.
Voltaire fainted at the scent of roses.
The Bible never says there were three wise men, only that there were three gifts.
Kopernikus
I like the story from the beginning of Ken Burns "Civil War":

I think, the name of the guy is Wilbur McLean...

Anyway, he lived in a little cottage near the battlefield of Bull Run, where the first battle of the Civil War was fought, and a cannon ball actually hit his front parlor. That shock made him leave his home and look for another place to live, which he found near Richmond. This little place was called "Appomatox Court House", and on a walk a few years later, a northern officer looking for a place to sign Lee´s capitulation snatched him up and so his living room made history. He could always say later: The american civil war started in my front parlor and finished in my living room.
melind
Morgan Robertson wrote the book "Futility" about a passenger liner called the Titan in 1898. The book described a shipwreck quite similar to the Titanic. Sometimes past literature almost seems to foretell history.
gandalfthegrey
Condoms made of linen. My only question is did they work. (and we all probably already know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyways.)
deanhills
Kopernikus wrote:
I like the story from the beginning of Ken Burns "Civil War":

I think, the name of the guy is Wilbur McLean...

Anyway, he lived in a little cottage near the battlefield of Bull Run, where the first battle of the Civil War was fought, and a cannon ball actually hit his front parlor. That shock made him leave his home and look for another place to live, which he found near Richmond. This little place was called "Appomatox Court House", and on a walk a few years later, a northern officer looking for a place to sign Lee´s capitulation snatched him up and so his living room made history. He could always say later: The american civil war started in my front parlor and finished in my living room.
This is awesome. I like this story. Are these places marked, i.e. still in existence in some or other form?
binsmyth
Man Those are some quite interesting facts
mafialive
Here are some more -

* Niagara Falls experienced a break of half an hour in 1848, when an ice jam blocked the source river.
* People have been wearing glasses for about 700 years.
* Lochness Monster inhabits the fresh water lake of Scotland.
* Spider webs were used to cure warts during the Middle Ages.
* The custom of shaking hands with the strangers originated to show that both the parties were unarmed.
* The number of people over hundred increased from 4,000 in 1960 to 55,000 in 1995 in US alone.
Bikerman
mafialive wrote:
Here are some more -
* Lochness Monster inhabits the fresh water lake of Scotland.

LOL....I think you may be pushing the word 'fact' beyond breaking.....
Bannik
Each year, there are more than 40,000 toilet related injuries in the United States.

Its a bloody war zone I tell ya
deanhills
Bannik wrote:
Each year, there are more than 40,000 toilet related injuries in the United States.

Its a bloody war zone I tell ya
Laughing Laughing Laughing Where did you get this marvelous history from? Would love to see the source? Laughing Laughing Laughing
LimpFish
this is both interesting and entertaining, haha. keep bringing it Smile

Another interesting fact that you probably already know is that Columbus didnt discover America, it was (of course Wink a scandinavian man by the name of Leif Eriksson, a viking! And this was in 986!
slashnburn99
religion is behind every war

from each war - technology improves at a faster rate than otherwise would
Chinmoy
do you know, a person actually fooled the UN to believe that there was a country bedife france, an island country and even went on to gather resources and huge funds for it..He was later recognized as a hoax, but was never caught.
lagoon
Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like competition and came third.

Not quite historically significant, but strange nonetheless.
Klaw 2
did you know that the singer of AC/DC is not known by his name but known as "the singer of AC/DC". And ACDC is quite succesfull...
keppryy
The condom was invented in the early 1500's, and was originally made of linen. quote
ahaha GOOD JOB WELL DISCOVERED
sharaf
I went through interesting book of Niel Furgeson on the empire, and found following facts interesting:

- Australia was considered the prison for the increasing british criminals who had no room left on british land
- Machine gun was first experimented on Nigros in Africa by the british soldier
paul_indo
The only true singer of AC-DC was Bonn Scott and everyone knew his name.

But all this stuff just goes to show that truth IS stranger than fiction.
LimpFish
America was first discovered by the vikings, and not by Columbus, as a lot of people seem to believe.
Bikerman
That is debatable.
You could say that it was discovered by the Siberians about 10,000 BCE - who became the native American Indians.
The Viking theory is based on the Elrik the Red saga from around 995-1005 CE. Now we know Elrik landed on Greenland, but the evidence for him or his son crossing to the US is scant. Most of the supposed Viking artefacts found over the last few decades have proved to be fake....
The Irish could equally well claim the honour for Brendan the navigator - 400 years before...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan
LimpFish
Bikerman wrote:
That is debatable.
You could say that it was discovered by the Siberians about 10,000 BCE - who became the native American Indians.
The Viking theory is based on the Elrik the Red saga from around 995-1005 CE. Now we know Elrik landed on Greenland, but the evidence for him or his son crossing to the US is scant. Most of the supposed Viking artefacts found over the last few decades have proved to be fake....
The Irish could equally well claim the honour for Brendan the navigator - 400 years before...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan

Well it seems that most people disagree with you, even the US Congress have established the Leif Erikson Day nationwide (9th of October).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson

Here you can see Obama officialy declaring Leif Erikson day for 2009:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-Leif-Erikson-Day/
Crockett024
Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in Ford Theater (brand of car, and last name of a US president), and JFK was assassinated in a Lincoln limo
Hello_World
I remember reading that the first people to 'discover' Latin America besides native Latin Americans were Aborigines.
enilsoncba
Look at this strange fact of ancient history ...

In 1965 the German magazine Das Vegetarische Universun published the report of a discovery made by Chinese archaeologists. Researching the border between China and Tibet, a mountainous region filled with caves they call Baiam-Kara-Ula, they find a quarter century with strangers stone discs covered with signs ignored, drawings and hieroglyphics. Thousands of years ago, with the help of instruments of labor unknown, the inhabitants of the caves carved the rock to prepare the disks that have met 715 copies.
All of them, as our phonograph discs have a central hole and a double risk on the surface, which widens spirally from the center to the outer edge. It is clear that this brand was not recording signal, but a form of writing unlike anything I had met on this planet. Studies for his translation took twenty years and when they finally discovered the key that allowed them decipher the result was so amazing that the Academy Prehistoric Beijing refused to allow its author, prof. Tsum-Nui-A, to come forward to reveal them. It was finally given permission and Tsum and his colleagues published the work under the significant title of Admissions espiralóides reporting the arrival of spacecraft, according to the text recorded on the discs, there would have occurred 12,000 years ago.
The veracity of the text does not seem to be open to doubt, especially since the team of prof. Tsum confirmed by the study of the legends of the two tribes that still live in the region.
dude_xyx
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Condoms made of linen. My only question is did they work. (and we all probably already know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyways.)

They probably had lots of miss fires in those days. Razz
LxGoodies
Quote:
Margaret Pole, the 8th Countess of salisbury, who was sos cared she was chased around the scaffold by the axe-wielding executioner. On the morning of May 27, 1541Margaret was told she was to die within the hour. She answered that no crime had been imputed to her; nevertheless she was taken from her cell to the place within the precincts of the Tower of London, where a low wooden block had been prepared. As Margaret was of noble birth, she was not executed before the populace, though there were about 150 witnesses. According to some accounts, the countess, who was 67 years old, frail and ill, was dragged to the block, but refused to lay her head on it, having to be forced down. As she struggled, the inexperienced executioner's first blow made a gash in her shoulder rather than her neck. Several additional blows were required to complete the execution. A less reputable account states that Margaret leapt from the block after the first clumsy blow and ran, pursued by the executioner, being struck eleven times before she died.

read more: http://forums.canadiancontent.net/history/72150-20-quite-interesting-historical-facts.html

Cool Lx
lima4real
Andalucia in Spain was not the first name of such town from where even the name Analucia comes from
Among the barbarian hords was one named Vandalos, they were known as theives, agitators, etc. they used to conquer in a very bloodthirsty way. They settle in the area which is called now Andalucia, but at the beginning the city was called Vandalucia.

As time passed by, and they got mixed up with other communities they pacify and therefore the name of the city came to Andalucia.

From there comes the spanish word "Vandalos" or "Vandalismo" (vandals or vandalism)
Vanilla
LimpFish wrote:
this is both interesting and entertaining, haha. keep bringing it Smile

Another interesting fact that you probably already know is that Columbus didnt discover America, it was (of course Wink a scandinavian man by the name of Leif Eriksson, a viking! And this was in 986!

Well... I believe in the Phoenician discovery theory, because of Gávea Stone. When I was a kid I watched a (fiction) movie about this theory and I regarded it as a myth. And then we have Gávea Stone (or Pedra da Gávea in Brazilian Portuguese). Just look at it.

The theory states that tis a tomb of a Phoenician king and it has actual inscriptions. Also it looks like a freaking face. They say it was carved to look like said king. Anyway, this was not proved but it looks intriguing nonetheless.
spinout
The biggest pyramid is in former Jugoslavia! Covered by vegetation!
lesanciensdulad
Coca-Cola started as essentially a nonalcoholic version of French Wine Coca .The first sales were at Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia, on May 8, 1886. It was initially sold as a patent medicine for five cents a glass at soda fountains, which were popular in the United States at the time due to the belief that carbonated water was good for the health.

Pemberton claimed Coca-Cola cured many diseases, including:
- morphine addiction
- dyspepsia
- neurasthenia
- headache
- impotence

Pemberton ran the first advertisement for the beverage on May 29 of the same year in the Atlanta Journal.

Now you know cure yourselves.

lol
LxGoodies
For those who assume The Netherlands have always been an example of human rights, even for centuries, the following historical account will come as a surprise..

Wikipedia wrote:
Recovering from an earlier attempt on his life in June 1672, the Dutch politician Johan de Witt was lynched by an organized mob after visiting his brother Cornelis de Witt in prison.

After the arrival of Johan de Witt, the city guard was sent away on a pretext to stop farmers who were supposedly engaged in pilfering. Without any protection against the assembled mob, the brothers were dragged out of the prison and killed next to a nearby scaffold. Immediately after their deaths, the bodies were mutilated and fingers, toes, and other parts of their bodies were cut off. Other parts of their bodies were eaten by the mob (or taken elsewhere, cooked and then eaten).[5] The heart of Cornelis de Witt was exhibited for many years next to his brother's by one of the ringleaders, the silversmith Hendrik Verhoeff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_de_Witt#Death

The people who executed this atrocity were not lower class illiterate, they were high class, "law obeding" Dutch citizens. Use the translator for

http://vriendenvandewitt.mysites.nl/mypages/vriendenvandewitt/127306.html

onebadpenny
In 1987 Shinji Kazama reached the North Pole by motorcycle, the first person to do so.
In 1992 he became the first person to ride a motorcycle to the South Pole

He also holds the record for riding a motorcycle the furthest up Mt. Everest
onebadpenny
More North Pole history:

The first confirmed surface conquest of the North Pole was that of Ralph Plaisted, Walt Pederson, Gerry Pitzl and Jean Luc Bombardier, who traveled over the ice by snowmobile and arrived on April 19, 1968.

On April 6, 1969, Wally Herbert and companions Allan Gill, Roy Koerner and Kenneth Hedges of the British Trans-Arctic Expedition became the first men to reach the North Pole on foot.

On May 9, 1949,[26] two Soviet scientists (Vitali Volovich and Andrei Medvedev) became the first people to parachute onto the North Pole.

The United States Navy submarine USS Nautilus (SSN-571) crossed the North Pole on August 3, 1958 which was the first underwater crossing

On March 17, 1959, the USS Skate (SSN-578) surfaced at the Pole, becoming the first naval vessel to do so.
Pande
"The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC"

Gotta wonder how they figured that one out.

"Honey I'm pregnant, we need to try ANYTHING to solve this!'

"Uhh.. try rubbing some of this dung from my crocodile farm up in your vag and see if that fixes it. Worth a shot right?"
onebadpenny
Pande wrote:

"Uhh.. try rubbing some of this dung from my crocodile farm up in your vag and see if that fixes it. Worth a shot right?"

I laughed so hard at this post.
Thank you for that
75alex
Quote:
"The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC"

Gotta wonder how they figured that one out.

Omg laughed so hard to that Laughing
Myrecords
The Star Spangled Banner was not written aboard a ship in Baltimore Harbour, but in a tavern on 14th St D.C.....the Washington Monument is measured at[555Ft]but it shrinks some each year...Englishman James Smithson for whom the Smithsonian is named for never actually set foot on American soil...Mercedes-Benz the two men for whom the famous car line is named, never actually met face to face...when the British burned the White House in 1814 the portrait of George Washington was not saved by Dolly Madison but by a slave servant...at the first Thanksgiving the Indians were poisoned.
Myrecords
There is no official recognition of Amerigo Vespucci, the mapmaker for whom this country is named.
loveandormoney
yagnyavalkya wrote:
In England and the American colonies they year 1752 only had 354 days. In that year, the type of calendar was changed, and 11 days were lost The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung and was used by the Egyptians in 2000 BC. The shortest war there has ever been was between Britain and Zanzibar during 1896. It lasted for a pathetic 38 minutes.

Everyone in the Middle Ages believed -- as Aristotle had -- that the heart was the seat of intelligence.

Soryy
most informations are wrong. The condom is much older than here written also the birth control. Regards
Insanity
I think birth control is relatively recent though.
Myrecords
Most of the log cabins built in early America were built by Native Americans, contrary to the belief that most Indians lived in teepees, only the Plains Indians lived in teepees.
Ankhanu
Myrecords wrote:
Most of the log cabins built in early America were built by Native Americans, contrary to the belief that most Indians lived in teepees, only the Plains Indians lived in teepees.

I'm no expert, but this may need a citation Razz

I know the Mi'kmaq in my region did not build rigid-walled homes... and I don't know of many instances where others did neither. Perhaps in groups where agriculture was practiced, such as around the Great Lakes region, or on the Pacific coast, but I'm not sure...
amagard
Just heard in my radio this morning that the Beatles song "Because" actually is based on Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", but played backwards, since John Lennon didn't want to steal from Beethoven but use some music which sounds like Beethoven.
And: the three Beatles voices have been recorded three times, so that it sounds like nine singers are singing.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_%28Beatles_song%29

BTW, would be nice to see more references here in this thread with links to these surprising facts in history.
deanhills
amagard wrote:
Just heard in my radio this morning that the Beatles song "Because" actually is based on Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", but played backwards, since John Lennon didn't want to steal from Beethoven but use some music which sounds like Beethoven.
And: the three Beatles voices have been recorded three times, so that it sounds like nine singers are singing.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_%28Beatles_song%29

BTW, would be nice to see more references here in this thread with links to these surprising facts in history.
I've always liked that song "Because" and with it being played on the piano, can see the link with Moonlight Sonata, but never saw it before. Definitely an interesting factoid.

Never knew about the "nine singers" one, very interesting!
Myrecords
It is said that when the Earth was new all the land mass were connected.
Myrecords
There is no such place as[Washington, D.C.] the seat of the Federal Government is the District Of Columbia.
loveandormoney
yagnyavalkya wrote:

We studied history in school and we like this threat.