FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Earth

gverutes
Have any of you seen the new features of Google Earth? Pretty cool - if you ask me.

You can:

- See ocean terrain imagery from the world's most advanced sub
- Be among the first human entities to explore the deep sea
- Use a toggle switch to view change in imagery over time

http://earth.google.com

The only issue for me is the 3D ocean. I have trouble diving into the water to see underneath. Anyone have tips?

Thanks,
Gregg
redslazers
Google earth has always been radical actually anything google makes is radical except the mobile phone platform
ocalhoun
Tried the street view feature of Google maps?

When looking at a street map, look at the top left corner of the map, you'll see a little orange man icon. Drag that icon onto the map, and most of the streets will glow blue. Drag the icon to one of the streets, and the map changes to a 360 view from that place on the street, which you can move around in.

Google actually drove a van with cameras on the top all over to get these street images, and the results are astounding. I can go to my mom's street address with it, and (recognizably) see her in the driveway!
gverutes
Whats is wrong with the mobile platform? I don't use it, but i would like to...

Yes, the street view is amazing. Usually you can tell when they took the photos by the objects that are in and around your house. I wonder what kind of car they drive around to take those pictures. Must have a 360 degree rotating camera...the fact that they can mosaic all those photos together almost seemlessly is amazing!

I am a geographer so this stuff is very interesting to me!
ocalhoun
gverutes wrote:
Whats is wrong with the mobile platform? I don't use it, but i would like to...

Yes, the street view is amazing. Usually you can tell when they took the photos by the objects that are in and around your house. I wonder what kind of car they drive around to take those pictures. Must have a 360 degree rotating camera...the fact that they can mosaic all those photos together almost seemlessly is amazing!

I am a geographer so this stuff is very interesting to me!

My mom saw the car: it was a minivan with a strange thing on the roof and a Google logo. Only after seeing the Google maps feature did we figure out what that was: the strange thing on the roof was a circular array of cameras pointing in all directions, evidently taking photos every so often.
gverutes
Sounds about right. The cameras have a built in GPS so that they can quickly reference each photo to the maps. And there you have it!
Terrasis-Cian
Ya google street view is brilliant. It is truly amazing how they achieve all this stuff. I wonder will they reach new cities... I heard theres a couple of lawsuits facing them at the moment..?
Jinx
They have caught some interesting stuff in those pictures, too... there is a picture of a man walking along with an assault rife, a picture of a fist fight, a guy urinating, and several others.

Here's [url="http://mashable.com/2007/05/31/top-15-google-street-view-sightings/"]Mashable's top 15[/url]

Or check out [url="http://streetviewr.com/all_street_view_sightings_page_01.html"] Streetvewr.com for hundreds more[/url] (this site has thousands of them, you may have to dig a little for the really funny ones.)
Terrasis-Cian
haha that link is pretty good Very Happy
andysart380
i remember when google earth first came out i kept zooming in on my neighbors house when he was over and tell him i got a close watch on him.
gverutes
I also heard that a guy got arrested for a robbery because the Street View feature had a picture of him committing the robbery. Pretty cool - but kinda scary at the same time!
draok
wow...thanks dude for this pretty google earth.
malcolmpreen
What is next.... "street view" of the bottom of the ocean Smile

I must admit I'm very impressed....

You know how they blur the faces of people.... this is an automatic process, and on one picture I saw (sorry, no reference) there was a picture of the front of a Kentucky Fried Chicken shop.... and the face of Colonel Sanders was blurred.... a classic !!

Malcolm
cemica
I have not heard about this new features. I am going to look them. Hopefully are these good (for me). Laughing
silverdown
Google Earth is pretty cool, I use it look around and see the world. It a great enjoyment
Chinmoy
it is an excellent software, of course a google productt. Google is the best web based company. it has made the internet so mucha a better place.
caa-noise
Yes, Google Earth is really cool, so many amazing places.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of regions that have low detailed shots.
tukun2009manit
gverutes wrote:
Have any of you seen the new features of Google Earth? Pretty cool - if you ask me.

You can:

- See ocean terrain imagery from the world's most advanced sub
- Be among the first human entities to explore the deep sea
- Use a toggle switch to view change in imagery over time

http://earth.google.com

The only issue for me is the 3D ocean. I have trouble diving into the water to see underneath. Anyone have tips?

Thanks,
Gregg

google earth forum can be used to help you i will get there the have this answer
gverutes
what does that even mean, tukun2009manit?
rayz0r
Google earth it self is quite amazing, but street view is even better. To compile all this info is amazing to say the least
kemal44
google earth niceD:
ChrisCh
I remember when a group of us all discovered it in 2005 - we spent many hours on it just going through major cities, trying to find all of our houses, following major roads etc etc etc. Although I think that the new "traffic" feature (either on Google Earth or Google Maps) is fantastic - somehow it can even show the current average speed, and show you what traffic is normally like on any given day and time... Amazing! Very Happy
silverdown
Yea i used, tried and got over it... pretty old topic too.
agbor
Google earth is a great tool but i have not seen the new google earth as written here but the older version i used was sweet to use. i got views of places i have never been in my world.
With google earth you can view and see any party of this world as if you werer there. i am really hoping to download the latest version. pliz if you know the link plz send it to me. thanks
cmhcjj
google earth is veryvery good, but there are some incorrect informations Sad
gverutes
well, i think users need to realize that global mapping cannot be perfect. It should have a disclaimer that all the data (whether user produced or google created) is just an approximation.
mukesh
google earth really very cool
gverutes
i still can't figure out how to use Google Ocean.
ujjawall
Google Earth is a virtual globe, map and geographical information program that was originally called EarthViewer 3D, and was created by Keyhole, Inc, a company acquired by Google in 2004. It maps the Earth by the superimposition of images obtained from satellite imagery, aerial photography and GIS 3D globe. It was available under three different licenses, currently: Google Earth, a free version with limited functionality; Google Earth Plus (discontinued) which included additional features; and Google Earth Pro ($399 per year), which is intended for commercial use. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ato784
I enjoy Google earth, it is fun to look around in street view.

Once I was looking at a sketchy dvd selling website, (trying to buy "earth" or whatever that movie is called) and it had an address on there website, so I looked at google earth, and the place was real. Razz

Proving that anything google makes can be useful.
ham65
i love that program,is fun and functional
Alerrandre
I love check google earth lol,it is fun,and work great to if you need travel without leave your home.
gverutes
i dont know that anything google makes is useful -- look at "Buzz" -- that was a complete and utter failure.
lucasazanha
Aparece bastante coisas estranhas no google earth , .
weed
its the coolest and best product from google i have seen with these product u can see the whole world
Tuvitor
Yeah, I really enjoy the crap out of Google Earth. Street View is great for seeing the world without ever leaving your pc... that said, I really oughtta get out more.
wgiplaza
is pretty good
PapaMinouche
You can see all over the world and 80% of it used it to check our home haha!
lightningleo
well.. google earth is an awesome software.. when doing research for projects.. i use google earth for that purpose only.. i think it could be used for recreational purposes also.. such as finding your city or place where you live and map point.. guessing places..
i think google have made some good softwares.. which can be used for various purposes.. and all are professional.. without any bugs..
milkshake01
Google maps is great. Just that privacy is a concern.
samanyolu07
very nice to look at my own house from google earth Very Happy
cheater01
The Google Earth app for Android devices has been around since last year, and it provides a cool, highly portable way to take a virtual jaunt around the globe from the comfort of your smartphone. For those of you who took the plunge and plunked down your hard-earned cash for an Android tablet, however, the experience has been less than ideal.

Now, however, Google has announced an update to the app which brings a fully tablet-optimized experience. On your larger-screen device, the Google Earth interface adds a location bar for easier navigation and search, as well as support for fully textured 3D building renders. Several layers are also available for your exploratory enjoyment — including Google Places, Panoramio photos, and Wikipedia information.

While the original small-screen version of Earth for Android requires only 2.1 or better, the tablet mode is only available to users with a slate running Android 3.0 Honeycomb. If you happen to own, say, a Samsung Galaxy Tab, you’re just going to have to make do with a blown-up version of the smartphone app.
subhan1
that's great and awesome - heard about them but never experienced it :/ will soon try Smile
pravojednostavno
Google Earth is cool and useful
zimmer
Google earth is nice rather than apple maps. Apple maps sucks!
Yes, i used it a lot in zooming and viewing the country i want to visit. I use also there direction and navigation when i am in travel.