FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crack the code! (Finished, but you can take a look)

speeDemon

Welcome to, 'Crack the code' 1
(Prizes have been claimed by Hogwarts and Cybersa along with [FuN]goku)

If you wish to play, play for fun, no prizes will be given out now! The solution is on the last page

The basic concept of the contest is to pass all the barriers, and decode the final code. Who ever does this first will be rewarded with the first prize!

Kindly read all the rules, and the description.

Description:
This code-breaking contest is not related to any script or coding language, all you need is time, concentration and some common sense..

Figuring out the codes is very easy, according to me.

The contest consists of 4 barriers, you need a specific code to pass each barrier, the final barrier consists of a final code, which you will have to decode, and then you will get the final answer.

All the barriers are embeded flash files, these files are not just to be viewed! You have to do something in them, to go ahead.. check for the in-built hints.. Don't go to the next barrier unless told to do so in the present barrier, even if you do go to the next one, you wont be able to pass it, because you need a code Very Happy

Other than that, once the winner is selected, he will have to write down the method to get to the code, and how he de-coded it. So, you'll have to pass all the barriers anyway.

Rules:
1)Send all answers to me as a pm.

2)Post all questions as a reply to this post (if the question relates to anything which can help any other user to get through, then kindly pm it to me)

3)Do not tell the method of passing any certain stage to anyone, in-case you are caught doing so, you will be disqualified, along with the other user.

4)There is no time limit.. the contest is ever lasting. Unless anyone wins it, the competition is on, no need to ask the same question

5)All wrong answers will be posted by me in this post (in case there are any, which is quite unlikely)

6)Do not go to the next barrier, unless the present barrier tells you to do so.

7)if you are participating in the competition, then please reply to this post, saying the same.

Cool prizes include:

1st prize(500 frih$)
2nd prize(300 frih$)

Competition starts now!
Here are the links to barriers:

barrier 1
barrier 2
barrier 3
barrier 4

I suggest that you use different tabs for each of the barriers..

Current Players:

deanhills
Spartan
rvec
mwsupra
[FuN]goku
Keran
Parkour_Jarrod
Star Wars Fanatic
redslazers
jsarnold
Xanatos
silverdown
TentativeChaos
pampoon
Hogwarts
wolfenstein
vatking
meep

need a hint? pm me! Very Happy
speeDemon
If you want to help advertise, paste this code in your signature:
Code:
[b]Can you crack the code?[/b]
[url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105037.html#874418]Code breaking competition[/url] has started!

[b]First Prize 250 Frih$[/b]
[b]Second Prize 100 Frih$[/b]
deanhills
Congratulations with the announcement speeDemon. Looking forward to the first codes, sounds quite mysterious .... So is my understanding correct that the the time limit for the contest is equal to the first one to break the final code? Or are you going to time the intervals of the next codes?
speeDemon
I have given the links to the barriers, so why dont you check them out?

The competition has officially started

Edit:

Please pay attention, if you are participating in the competition, then please reply to this post, saying the same.
Spartan
Ah, stuck at Barrier 2 Razz Can't think right now.
rvec
same here. Is "pant" a clue or should it just be pants?
mwsupra
I am participating in the competition.
deanhills
I tried, but don't think this is something I'm good at. I don't think I "get" what I'm supposed to do, either that or the screen should be a Flash Movie, and it is just dead HTML non-interactive Website.
[FuN]goku
speeDemon wrote:

Please pay attention, if you are participating in the competition, then please reply to this post, saying the same.
i guess i'll participate Razz
Jinx
I got number 1, but I'm stuck on 2... I just can't figure out anything that works with those letters and that clue... I'll come back to it tomorrow with a fresh brain.
[FuN]goku
JUST finished the 3rd one... I'm gonna say... It was easy, but requires a bit of thought at first Razz

I'll pm you my answers tomorrow.. it's 2:30 am , and my hands are too cold to type anything else lol.
speeDemon
[FuN]goku wrote:
JUST finished the 3rd one... I'm gonna say... It was easy, but requires a bit of thought at first Razz

I'll pm you my answers tomorrow.. it's 2:30 am , and my hands are too cold to type anything else lol.

Wow, that was fast!!

Well, people, looks like you'll have to catch up!! [FuN]goku seems to be at quite a position right now!

Well, I'll see his answers, so that I can verify if he really has passed all the other barriers!

any way! I'm pretty sure you people are having a lot of fun!
speeDemon
rvec wrote:
same here. Is "pant" a clue or should it just be pants?

Clarification:
just to tell you guys! pant just means pants....

deanhills wrote:
I tried, but don't think this is something I'm good at. I don't think I "get" what I'm supposed to do, either that or the screen should be a Flash Movie, and it is just dead HTML non-interactive Website.

its a flash file, maybe you dont have flash player installed..

Bug:
I checked barrier 2, and there seems to be some problem with the final screen... in-case you have already found out the answer, kindly pm it to me, and I'll give you a link to the final screen of barrier 2...

you may also continue to the next barrier, as the final screen doesnt really offer much, but still it will help you Smile
[FuN]goku
Okay, I've submitted my solutions to speeDemon, and i'm trying out the 4th barrier... it looks like it's gonna be a bit more challenging Razz
speeDemon
[fuN]goku seems to be at the top right now, lets see if he can figure out the final code!
mwsupra
Good luck Wink I'm still stuck on 2 Sad
speeDemon
if u wanna hint, pm mee!
Xanatos
Well I suppose Ill try my hand at this. The first one was easy, but I am stuck at number 2. Well back to thinking...

Edit: Nevermind got it.
[FuN]goku
I'm still stuck on barrier 4 lol.
silverdown
IM stuck at two XD
Xanatos
Gah I suppose I need to wait for him to send me the final screen from 2 since I cant seem to get 3 right now.
Xanatos
Three is too hard hehe.
TentativeChaos
Ok I'm playing, I've got to barrier 2 and I think I may have the answer. We shall see when you get my PM.
Xanatos
Has anyone beaten this yet?
TentativeChaos
Okay I'm stuck on barrier 3. I tried adjusting the RGB on my screen but that did nothing. I tried clicking on the area of the screen that you said but that didn't work. Hmmm....

Oh wait I just had an idea, lets see if it works.
speeDemon
well.... you dont ned need to change the rgb or anything..... just unsolve the thing using all the sentences... and then track down the thing.....
Marcuzzo
I'll give a crack at it.
count me in
[FuN]goku
Xanatos wrote:
Has anyone beaten this yet?
I don't think they have, or he probably would have said here. I'm not sure how far everyone else is, but from what I can tell, I'm on the last part of barrier 4.... and I'm quite stumped.. but I havent really put any effort into it lately, as I've been busy with other stuff.. I think I'll try to finish it later Razz
Spartan
Lol, I've been stuck on the same part forever. Gratz on 4th barrier [FuN]goku!
speeDemon
hey guys, the competition is still on!!!
Xanatos
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about this, I guess I'll go work on barrier three some more.
gethere
im in...but got stucked with the 2nd one..Sad
speeDemon
Buck up guys!!

Most of you seem to get the whole 'ideas' behind the codes and all... but still... no one still figured out what the final code breaks down to....

Can't really disclose who those guys are... it's not illegal though!! Razz

So, c'mmon! Show me some Brains!! I know it, and you know it better, that you can do it!! Haha, I'm talking like a politician!!

Any way... just get going!! Very Happy
TomS
I'm participating.

But I'm stuck at the beginning of Barrier 3 while the first two were easy.

Got a hint for me?
speeDemon
TomS wrote:
I'm participating.

But I'm stuck at the beginning of Barrier 3 while the first two were easy.

Got a hint for me?

haha!! whats the fun if its not difficult! Twisted Evil

anyway... seeing that most of you want a hint for the third barrier's beginning.. here you go:

First of all, Try to relate the top sentence with the bottom one, then use some veryyyy basic algebra, and finally, track down something... somehow....!! Very Happy Razz
speeDemon
so, are you guys still playing, or should I consider that no one has got the brains to break the barriers??
[FuN]goku
i just havent bothered for a while... nearing end of the school year so i'm busy with other things hehe.
pampoon
I'm in...
speeDemon
oh common! doesnt anyone want to win??
or do you people have a lack of code-breaking skills Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
I got stuck at Barrier 3, and to honest, I don't really care that much about it to try and figure it out.
speeDemon
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
I got stuck at Barrier 3, and to honest, I don't really care that much about it to try and figure it out.

Hmm......... looks like you guys are out of fuel! well, I'm not closing the competition, you all can keep trying if you want to, and I will still give the prize to anyone who can break the final code....
Hogwarts
Aww, got stuck on the "Polar Coordinate" question, and I'm not continuing until I get paid Shocked

It's a pity I'm not signed up to participate in this competition, isn't it, speeDemon? Crying or Very sad

At least I'm giving everybody else a chance to have their tries, though Wink
speeDemon
Hogwarts wrote:
Aww, got stuck on the "Polar Coordinate" question, and I'm not continuing until I get paid Shocked

It's a pity I'm not signed up to participate in this competition, isn't it, speeDemon? Crying or Very sad

At least I'm giving everybody else a chance to have their tries, though Wink

umm.... I'm a bit confused.. what exactly are you trying to say?? I mean, this may sound a bit stupid, but I could'nt understand what you are saying..!!

1st of all, what does-"until I get paid" mean? do you want your prize before you finish the game??!!
2nd, "It's a pity I'm not signed up to participate in this competition, isn't it, speeDemon? Crying or Very sad" do you mean that I didnt write your name in the "currently playing" list?? well, if that is the problem, then I'm sorry, I guess I skiped you somehow, I just added your name...

btw, the part you are stuck on.... well.... its the ending portion of the competition.... I mean, its just next to the final code... maybe this will improve your morale..!! try a bit more, and the final code will be yours!!
Hogwarts
speeDemon wrote:
btw, the part you are stuck on.... well.... its the ending portion of the competition.... I mean, its just next to the final code... maybe this will improve your morale..!! try a bit more, and the final code will be yours!!

I may, or may not, already have the final code Smile

I just want to give the other folks a chance without taking away their incentive to participate, though. Perhaps we can increase the prize for on it?
speeDemon
Hogwarts wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

I may, or may not, already have the final code Smile

I just want to give the other folks a chance without taking away their incentive to participate, though. Perhaps we can increase the prize for on it?

ahem ahem, I think you are a bit mistaken... you have to decode the final code... right... try it... its not that easy!! though its not very difficult....

and I'm sorry, but the prize money will remain the same! anyway, there is a second place too, so dont worry about "giving a chance" ok??

just crack the code!
love_her_freida_pinto
im probably too late in this one but if this contest is still on then i'm in.

BTW for barrier 2 are we meant to input two words with a space between each? and with capital letters or none?
[FuN]goku
Alright, Now that my exams are over, I think I might take another stab at it.
gh0strec0n_legit
hope i can join if i can im in
speeDemon
of course you're in...
Best of luck
darkeagle
I'm in...
darkeagle
speeDemon wrote:
hey guys, the competition is still on!!!

Can you check your PMs that I sent?
speeDemon
yeah well, my exams were on, so I didnt check my stuff, you're doing good, i think...
darkeagle
I solved...
speeDemon
then give me the final answer...
hamza1122
I'm Participating.
hamza1122
Stuck on Barrier 1. Have no idea what to do LOL! any hints??
gh0strec0n_legit
this thing is so difficult. I tried a while ago and maybe i'll try to pick it up again soon.
speeDemon
Well, looks like no one has cracked it till now... well, i do have to say that it is quite difficult!
-m0n1k3r-
I am participating (assuming it's still on)
speeDemon
its always on!!
no one has got the prize till now... probably is just too difficult.. most of the people got past the third barrier i think, but no one gave the final answer....

I do have some exams coming up in march,(5th-31st) so I may not be very active... but if you do get the final answer, then do pm me.. i will take a look as soon as i can...
wolfenstein
aii i'll give this a try
speeDemon
Good to have another person!
No one really gave me the final answer.. I guess they never realised what they had to do... But I'm not giving up on this competition.. It's on till I stop using frihost(possibly never).

C'mmon, show me your thinking ability..
[FuN]goku
I'll give it another shot. I'm constantly busy with other stuff, and I'd actually completely forgotten about this until I got your PM.
hunnyhiteshseth
Although it has been more than a year, but count me in.
FunDa
Is this contest still on ?

Count me in too ...

I passed the first barrier. Gonna try the next. Smile

EDIT:
Stuck at the third barrier. Can I get a clue regarding the sentences at the bottom.
What does f9 and refr mean ?

Is the sentence supposed to mean, "You are going fine, I think you should refer Before and Great" ?
speeDemon
FunDa wrote:
Is this contest still on ?

Count me in too ...

I passed the first barrier. Gonna try the next. Smile

EDIT:
Stuck at the third barrier. Can I get a clue regarding the sentences at the bottom.
What does f9 and refr mean ?

Is the sentence supposed to mean, "You are going fine, I think you should refer Before and Great" ?

Yup, the contest is on, kindly request for any hints as pm's only..
tamilparks
i also tried but impossible
speeDemon
tamilparks wrote:
i also tried but impossible

well it's not impossible... want a hint? pm me..
tamilparks
ok i have send the pm
vatking
um I want to play so um could you add me to the player list?
meep
stuck on barrier 3 Confused

anyway sign me up
Nemesis234
im in, stuck at barrier 2 tho, nothing i do changes anything, i cant input anything it seems. also where do i input the code from barrier 1? maybe that will make it work?

nvm, got through barrier 2. now clueless on number 3, apart from some bad typing at the bottom..is that a clue? i have no idea.
gh0strec0n_legit
Cracked the code:) P.M. with final code sent.
FunDa
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:
Cracked the code:) P.M. with final code sent.

Oh good ...

I totally forgot about this thread.

I got stuck at barrier 3. Not able to understand what to do with the information Sad
gh0strec0n_legit
If only speed demon would get online!!
Dementei
speeDemon
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:
If only speed demon would get online!!

Haha, Well, I'ts been quite some time since I've opened frihost, mostly due to studies.. but, well, I'll check your pm now and lets see....

Edit: Alright, I read the pm, and have replied, and all you other guys out there, the prize is still not claimed.. Very Happy, and even if the first prize is taken(sometime soon), then the second prize will be waiting for you Smile
mahirh
im playing but stuck at stage 2
gphoenix
i don't know whether the answer i think for barrier 1 is right!
gh0strec0n_legit
I wish I knew the final answer. Mad
FunDa
gphoenix wrote:
i don't know whether the answer i think for barrier 1 is right!

If you get it right, and enter it, it will move on to stage 2. Try it.
IceCreamTruck
OK, I solved the first barrier, so I suppose I should announce that I'm heading into barrier 2 with the clue now, so wish me luck! "Smile

Even the first game/barrier is counter intuitive until you find the right place to start.
cybersa
I want to join this contest.
I have permission to do anything with flash like hacking?

You told to Crack the code.
So i'm going to crack the code by hacking.
cybersa
i Finished Barrier 1,2,3,4.
Then it me to a new page.
I can't move further.

I think find the code.
PM sent to speeDemon
speeDemon
Well, Guys, he still didnt get it! Note that, if you read the rules, you'll have to give me a brief description of how you passed each barrier, so hacking doesn't really help at that point... If you're somehow able to get that description I'm talking about even after decoding the final thing, then I guess I'll take your answer as legit, seeing that not many people are able to get through.

Anyway, all that I need to say for now is that the prize has still not been claimed, and read the rules before you start playing!!
cybersa
Old:
Code:
Finished all four barrier.
Then it take me to new page.
It is correct or not?

I will tell you how to pass each barrier(Not how i hacked)
But tell, you allow me to hack or not according to your rule?

Edited:
I got it.
If i tell the correct code,you should give me a first price.
Ok.
I'm ready to give you a full description.
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
not many people are able to get through.

Did anyone make it? I am under the impression that no one has passed the test.

Just don't ruin the game. Keep it going cause it's entertaining to not succeed and your game is forcing some people to come to terms with themselves. Some people are even showing they will cheat at all cost, so just don't spoil it.

Keep the game alive! I just haven't had enough time to play on it, but I haven't been stopped yet. It takes a moment to figure out what to do on some of them but I am glad is not easy and it's a little eccentric . Makes it more fun.
speeDemon
IceCreamTruck wrote:
speeDemon wrote:
not many people are able to get through.

Did anyone make it? I am under the impression that no one has passed the test.

Just don't ruin the game. Keep it going cause it's entertaining to not succeed and your game is forcing some people to come to terms with themselves. Some people are even showing they will cheat at all cost, so just don't spoil it.

Keep the game alive! I just haven't had enough time to play on it, but I haven't been stopped yet. It takes a moment to figure out what to do on some of them but I am glad is not easy and it's a little eccentric . Makes it more fun.

No, no one has given me the final answer. People have passed the barriers, but the final code is still something they could't figure out!

@cybersa as I said, if you can provide a description of how you passed all of them, along with the final code, then I'll give the prize to you.
cybersa
Answer posted in your PM.
IceCreamTruck
cybersa wrote:
Answer posted in your PM.

Answer to the final puzzle? Or just one of the steps?
cybersa
Yes,I got the code.
IceCreamTruck
cybersa wrote:
Yes,I got the code.

crap... and the prize?
cybersa
No.
I sent him Code via PM.
I think he still did not open the PM.
speeDemon
nope, still not it Razz Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
nope, still not it Razz Very Happy

Well, no spoilers... I haven't had time to finish yet.
cybersa
I got the code.
But he want to decode to final code.

Today i will try it.

I think you can give addtional info about decode?
FunDa
I am not able to go further than last time. I am stuck in the level.

Did anybody solve level 3 ? It is so very difficult or I am missing a very simple hint Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad
speeDemon
@FunDa, which part?? pm...
IceCreamTruck
I just noticed I'm not even among the people playing the game. What a rip off! I want my money back! Smile

No doubt these are entertaining, but all the "barriers" need a little help. For start it helps if the goal is something that is logical, and the supporting hints must be thought about and written well. You are close to a good thing, but I recommend connecting the clues and puzzles in such a way that they are less distracting from the goal, and more a part of the game. You say we need the letters on the next barrier, but you do not need the order, the specific letters listed, or from what I can figure anything to do with the letters on the previous "barrier".

Can I also recommend the setup in two have something to do with binary code. Each of those letters is represented in binary, but your letter choice and the action of each is completely random. This means there's less to figure out about your game, and more luck or going through motions to "crack" the code. I like puzzles that each move can be calculated... there is no figuring out your puzzles... they encourage action not thinking first.

Your barriers are web programs... link them so you can't skip from 1 to four. Make the pages cryptic names, and only available if you progress in the game can you link to the next page. Make the first game a part of the index of the directory, and that will make it hard to hack around for the other pages. Show the link to the next game in order only when the game at hand is solved... you won't have to accept emails and check if everyone has completed each step.
cybersa
Yes it is very difficult to play.
I knew all answer for 4 barriers.

Give me some hints about decode.
IceCreamTruck
cybersa wrote:
Yes it is very difficult to play.
I knew all answer for 4 barriers.

Give me some hints about decode.

Alas I cannot! There are zero hints for the final answer if you ask me... it's just randomly guess 3 digit codes time because I haven't seen ANYTHING that suggest I should try one set of numbers over any other. The hints given really just distract from having to brute force all "barriers"... there is little if any deductive reasoning used for the tests. Just go with what works... I don't know how this is supposed to suggest a decode at the end... the answer is just a number like 999 or 9a9, no?

Can anyone give me a real hint for barrier 3? do you have to click a pixel? I'm pretty sure the hint has nothing to do with the actual answer just like the other three tests, and thinking about things like binary code and encoding techniques has proved completely fruitless and way above the thinking required to complete these tests.

Also, there's no indicator on the forth barrier. How many characters have I entered? How do I know for sure what options I've tried... I may have typos. I suggest a form field that shows user input. This creates frustration which is most likely why most, if not all, have not completed your barriers.

Even the hardest of well made games will have a surprising number of people complete it because it challenges them, not frustrates them. I think you need to work on this area: Allow the game to show the user what they are doing right more often instead of leaving them wondering if they even know how to play the game. Show them very clearly how to play, so when they fail they know that it's their fault. Personally I can't tell if your last game is even working... I can guess it works, but nothing in the game suggests I have even correctly entered 1 character let alone three. When I accidentally enter 1, 2, 3, and typo a 4 on the end, then does "2,3,4" get entered? does only the first three 1,2,3? Why require a submit button if it's "2,3,4" that's just an extra step... you are not showing us what was wrong either!! Try "Sorry, (2,3,4) is not correct!" is a much better answer to help the user understand especially since there is very little other text to help understanding. Zero descriptions of the game.

Same goes with all the "barriers"... they should respond to more input -or- have text that clearly defines the rules of engagement -- maybe both! Smoke in mirrors hinting only increases frustration.

If you are only going to display text like "No, try again" then switch text colors if the input is wrong twice if you aren't going to display the text that was wrong... anything to let us know the program isn't frozen in the background. After the text appears it presents confusion to the user where at least the text color every time suggests the program is still running and accepting input.

All you have to add to make this work is a quick line of code that asks what color it is, and if red then blue, if blue then red kind of change up just before it displays the text. This would at least mean the "No, Try Again" text would change from blue to red and from red to blue every time you clicked the button. Moving the "No, Try Again" text every time they click "submit" is an option too, but probably won't work as well or as easy as changing the color attribute.

Hope this helps.
FunDa
speeDemon wrote:
@FunDa, which part?? pm...

I've sent a pm.

I experienced a technical difficulty in completing barrier 2. I don't know if it is intentional or not. If other people are having the "technical difficulty" in getting the final page of barrier 2, maybe it has to be fixed.
FunDa
speeDemon wrote:
well.... you dont ned need to change the rgb or anything..... just unsolve the thing using all the sentences... and then track down the thing.....

I am trying this and stuck at barrier 3 Laughing
speeDemon
IceCreamTruck wrote:
You are close to a good thing, but I recommend connecting the clues and puzzles in such a way that they are less distracting from the goal, and more a part of the game.

What exactly do you think is the goal of any of the barriers, I do get the point that there is a lack of continuity, but the 'goal' at any point(and not specifically at any barrier) is to move forward to be able to pursue the final code, which isn't a very big deal, it's just another puzzle to be solved, it's not the center of attraction or anything, just a part of the process to get you the prize and title. Crack the code doesn't specifically refer to the final code, it refers to all the obstacles you have to 'crack' in the way, as they say, enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

IceCreamTruck wrote:
You say we need the letters on the next barrier, but you do not need the order, the specific letters listed, or from what I can figure anything to do with the letters on the previous "barrier".

What exactly are you trying to imply? can you enter a random string of letters and get past that first screen? try it in a wrong order, and if I'm not mistaken, you read English left to right, yes? take that as a clue if you wish.

IceCreamTruck wrote:
Can I also recommend the setup in two have something to do with binary code.

I made the contest for any person to be able to participate, binary may be something you know about, and may be good at, but the competition wasn't meant for people with any "special" skills, you just need a brain, some common sense and time.

IceCreamTruck wrote:
Your barriers are web programs... link them so you can't skip from 1 to four. Make the pages cryptic names, and only available if you progress in the game can you link to the next page. Make the first game a part of the index of the directory, and that will make it hard to hack around for the other pages. Show the link to the next game in order only when the game at hand is solved... you won't have to accept emails and check if everyone has completed each step.

I made this competition 2 years back(as you can see by the first post), I didn't even know if anyone would be interested, I had no knowledge of web programming, and a minimal amount of knowledge in flash, I thought that the idea was good, but wasting my time for a competition that no one would even participate in would be stupid, so I made an effort, tried something out, and wished that people had fun. At the same time I have to say that the overall product isn't very appealing and may be problematic at times, but hey, I didn't think a lot, just used my brain, and made some simple puzzles, which quite frankly I thought anyone could figure it out... I don't have the time to go through the whole process again, just to make the competition better, I don't have the time, and looking at how people performed(no one in 2 years, seriously?), quite frankly, I'm just eager to see who wins it all in the end, that's why I'm still running the competition, that's why I'm still giving out hints, that's why it's still in my signature, but that's it.
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:

I made this competition 2 years back(as you can see by the first post), I didn't even know if anyone would be interested, I had no knowledge of web programming, and a minimal amount of knowledge in flash, I thought that the idea was good, but wasting my time for a competition that no one would even participate in would be stupid, so I made an effort, tried something out, and wished that people had fun. At the same time I have to say that the overall product isn't very appealing and may be problematic at times, but hey, I didn't think a lot, just used my brain, and made some simple puzzles, which quite frankly I thought anyone could figure it out... I don't have the time to go through the whole process again, just to make the competition better, I don't have the time, and looking at how people performed(no one in 2 years, seriously?), quite frankly, I'm just eager to see who wins it all in the end, that's why I'm still running the competition, that's why I'm still giving out hints, that's why it's still in my signature, but that's it.

OK, for starters I think it's a GREAT start at a game, and one of the more popular contest on frihost, so good work. I was trying to suggest how you might improve them, and how some of the English you use to describe them doesn't really apply. You had me thinking way up high, so I could solve the puzzles and I was disappointed that really there is a good measure of luck to pass the barriers as well... maybe more than skill or thinking.

If persistence and common sense will help you solve the puzzles, then say that. I just found your puzzles to be frustrating, and the text is misleading. I was trying to make you aware of how I was doing, but maybe I was being too honest.

Please answer my question: What do you have to do in puzzles 3 and 4. it's not as obvious to us as we did not design the puzzles. Your puzzles give NO indication if we are even having any effect. IS THE GOAL OF PUZZLE THREE TO CLICK SOMETHING? PLEASE ANSWER!

Obscurity is not a puzzle - a puzzle is a more clearly defined set of rules. These are "hidden treasure" clues which usually are obscure.
IceCreamTruck
OK... this is not meant to make you angry... it's meant to make you feel what I feel when approaching puzzle three.

Good luck! Try this puzzle I made to illustrate my point click here to puzzle

PS. The puzzle I made makes me laugh so hard! Does anyone else -- especially those who can read my HTML source -- understand my frustration? I'm having trouble explaining myself here
cybersa
I accept the IceCreamTruck's statement.
Your hints are not well to play next.

How i solved?
I tried to play the game but really very difficult to me.
Then i played with flash.
IceCreamTruck
cybersa wrote:
I accept the IceCreamTruck's statement.
Your hints are not well to play next.

How i solved?
I tried to play the game but really very difficult to me.
Then i played with flash.

Did you get the source? I'd love to actually work on puzzle three to show him what I mean.

I think puzzle four needs help too, but I'm probably disqualifying myself from the contest.
cybersa
I make the source myself.
After you finished 4 barriers,there are 2 more steps to finish.
FunDa
I gave up and looked at the flash source code too.

I'm sorry, but I tried too long and couldn't get past the third barrier by the correct way.
IceCreamTruck
Just curious how you pulled the source
cybersa
Only Source can't lead you to get the code.
Some more steps need to finish it yourself.

After 4 Barrier,Really i liked the game.
But stuck at decode.
IceCreamTruck
No one will answer my question, so I guess I'm stuck on game three, but only because I have no idea what you are supposed to do. There are only broken English instructions, and it's like I'm being completely ignored here, so I'm probably not going to give this any more time then I already have.

I want the source so I can rewrite the game with more info. I think it's a good start, but there are areas where there should be improvements -- better instructions so how to complete each game is clear, getting rid of the distracting clues that are there now, and making it so you have to think to solve the puzzles. Right now I put each of these in the brute force for hidden treasure category as it isn't really a puzzle, and none of the puzzles require as much thought as we were told.

Brute force, solving by attempting all options or "pushing" your way through is not critical thinking. I would imagine the "decode" at the end is also going to require brute force more than thinking as well, but I'm only guessing because that's exactly what all of these games require -- In fact, they are discouraging to critical thinking because I thought of TONS of ways the puzzles could be solved and was disappointed that all that thought was for nothing.

PS. maybe I've been indirectly encouraged to create my own puzzle game... we'll see.
speeDemon
over 8-10 people were able to pass barrier 3... do you think they had an intelligent IQ? obviously.. you just don't relate things..
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
over 8-10 people were able to pass barrier 3... do you think they had an intelligent IQ? obviously.. you just don't relate things..

No, I call it they were lucky when I was not.

Saying "you just don't relate things" or attacking my intelligence is weak especially since you STILL have not answered my simple question that I've asked multiple times.

Give me the source and I'll modify it so the game itself is smarter and more informative, or if you continue to avoid the real issue, then I'll just create my own game for the purpose of showing you what a real game looks like. I'm sick of your B.S.!
speeDemon
Um not quite sure how luck is so highly involved in all of the parts, I agree that luck does play a role, but not everywhere, not being able to 'get' the stupid, obscure, immature logic doesn't mean that you can blame everything on peoples 'luck'. You don't have to work like a machine, use algorithms or intensify a rather simple situation, but it seems that you just can't get around the sophistication part. The BS game is not meant to be played with a rather serious approach, if you just don't understand how the clues can help you, you call them useless.. they are stupid, but not meant to be dumped because according to you, they 'probably' are misleading or ignorable. Keep an open lind for things, and if the game Is below your standards, then I beg you to stop complaining, because I made it when I was 13. Go make. your own game, I know it will be much better, much more thoughful and enjoyable, with more appreciable clues and hints, because youre mature, and have more knowledge and experience about these things I prsume.. I already said that i have nothing to do with this game anymore, apart from giving hints it giving the prizes if someone does win, so go make a new and better one Ill be sure to play it, and to understand your fruatration.
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
Um not quite sure how luck is so highly involved in all of the parts, I agree that luck does play a role, but not everywhere, not being able to 'get' the stupid, obscure, immature logic doesn't mean that you can blame everything on peoples 'luck'. You don't have to work like a machine, use algorithms or intensify a rather simple situation, but it seems that you just can't get around the sophistication part. The BS game is not meant to be played with a rather serious approach, if you just don't understand how the clues can help you, you call them useless.. they are stupid, but not meant to be dumped because according to you, they 'probably' are misleading or ignorable. Keep an open lind for things, and if the game Is below your standards, then I beg you to stop complaining, because I made it when I was 13. Go make. your own game, I know it will be much better, much more thoughful and enjoyable, with more appreciable clues and hints, because youre mature, and have more knowledge and experience about these things I prsume.. I already said that i have nothing to do with this game anymore, apart from giving hints it giving the prizes if someone does win, so go make a new and better one Ill be sure to play it, and to understand your fruatration.

Actually my frustration has come after asking the same question over and over and getting nothing but insults and your continued narrow minded approach to reading my statements and questions. I got really honest about how I felt about the game as a second attempt to explain to you that you made assumptions when making the games, and the fact that no one has solved them means they are broken... not that they are hard.

Trust me on this: many people on frihost can run mental circles around you and me combined, and any one of us would have trouble creating any game that at least 80% of the people who tried it would fail unless we further obscured the objectives and hints with incomplete data/structure, and broken English.

I started off trying to be nice... your narrow minded insults made me more honest, but your continued stupidity and refusal to answer a simple question makes me dislike you. The fact is much of what I have said I still would have applied to a game that I created when I was 13, and I wish I still had some materials that I could show you from that time in my life.

If you don't want INFORMATION AND HELP, then that's your choice.

PS. New people reading this don't waste your time on this contest. No one can complete the puzzles because they are broken. I suspect everyone who's at the "decode" point of barrier 4 has, in a sense, cheated by looking at the source, but that's only suspicion as I likely won't get anyone to admit cheating.
cybersa
According to his rule we are not cheated him.
speeDemon
I never tried to insult you, but anyway, you're just whining because you couldn't get through Laughing

Ps: I wasn't mocking you when I said that you're game would be better, I believe that you should surely make one, and when you do, I'll get this thread closed.
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
I never tried to insult you, but anyway, you're just whining because you couldn't get through Laughing

Ps: I wasn't mocking you when I said that you're game would be better, I believe that you should surely make one, and when you do, I'll get this thread closed.

LISTEN TO MY WORDS: I AM FRUSTRATED BECAUSE YOU STILL WON'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!! Read my posts you jerk.
speeDemon
READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING ALL SORT OF NONSENSE IN THE THREAD, ALL CLUES ARE TO BE ASKED THROUGH A PM, MIND YOUR LANGUAGE, READ ALL THE RULES BEFORE PLAYING.

PS: Check the 2nd page of the thread for an open clue given to all.
IceCreamTruck
Haha, as if I would ever care to go back to your game.

Is that a promise... you'll remove this thread if I make a contest... I'll hold you to that if so
FunDa
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Just curious how you pulled the source

Not the complete and accurate source, but I used a free Flash Decompiler to see the decompiled source ( and was able to see the pages beyond the barriers)

SpeedDemon has done a good job in making this contest, but it could have been better.

Don't pick on SpeedDemon please, atleast one person took the effort to start a contest trying out using flash programming skills.

Few tips:
* Barrier 2 needs a correction to make the frame stop at the final page after entering the correct clue.
* Barrier 4 is also named as Barrier 3
* Some spelling mistakes are distracting because we don't know whether it is an intentional clue or a mistake.
* Some clues could have been grammatically corrected to be easier to understand.
* Many frihosters do not have English as their primary language, so might find complex clues difficult to understand.
* All the barriers could give a proper clue to help in the next barrier without which it is not possible to attempt the barrier.
* It is possible to obfuscate the flash files to prevent decompilers from getting to the source.
speeDemon
I've nearly got one winner! Just a little change in his answer will give him the title and prize! Have 2 others lined up just after him! Arrow
cybersa
Who?
I sent you a PM.
I think the word is correct.
Hogwarts
cybersa wrote:
Who?

Wink
cybersa
Hogwarts,Congratulation.
How you finished each barrier?
Finished with the help of Source or not.
speeDemon
Ok,
I have the results with me! After 2 years, finally I have some code crackers who were able to decode the final code and give me the answer!

Congratulation goes to:

Hogwarts - 1st Prize 500 frih$
Cybersa - 2nd Prize 300frih$

and for being the person who was able to go the farthest without looking at the source,

[FuN]goku - Special Prize 300frih$

I'm also giving out a special bonus to Hogwarts for getting to the end without peeking at the source! (~200frih$)
cybersa
Thanks for your Game.
Thanks for hint.
Price Got it.

Really i liked the game after 4 barrier.
With the help source we can't move further after 4 barrier.
Then we need to work hard to move.
I don't think i will get the price.
But i got it.

Congratulation Hogwarts because he finished the game without the source.
speeDemon
cybersa wrote:
Thanks for your Game.
Thanks for hint.
Price Got it.

Really i liked the game after 4 barrier.
With the help source we can't move further after 4 barrier.
Then we need to work hard to move.
I don't think i will get the price.
But i got it.

Congratulation Hogwarts because he finished the game without the source.

It was a pleasure Cybersa, hope you could've done it without looking at the source!

How it was meant to be done:

I'm going to give a brief description of how the barriers were meant to be solved, or in other words, this is where you went wrong!

Barrier 1:

2+2+1 suggests that the number beneath should be 5.
On pressing the top left circle, it turns to 1.
on pressing any wrong circle in the sequence, it turns back to 0, figuring this out is quite easy, after a few goes, you should be able to get the order as,
top left, bottom right, top right, the center one, finally bottom left.
This reveals a special 'eye'. On pressing the eye, and moving around the screen, you finally get a string of random characters "wthkposa".

Barrier 2:

The initial screen of the 2nd barrier is just a way to check if you completed the first one.
as the hint says, "enter one by one", so enter the letters "wthkposa" one by one. If you keep on entering them correctly, the 0's corresponding to each letter, will turn into 1's.

The 2nd part is just the name of a person, it's "elvis presley".
Some people had brains enough to use the print screen button to capture the final screen.
It basically tells you to remember the initials, EP.

Barrier 3:

This one was the bottleneck!
The BG color is too white eh? nope, nothing to do with the actual background color. The clue running the side is just to tell you that the page extends to more than just the usual window length, the reason being that there is a vital clue in the bottom. The sentence towards the right can be seen to be written using 'SMS language' or IM reductions, like fine=f9. but the words at the end (before and great) are not in this format, change them, to get G8 and B4.
If you're observant enough, you'll notice that there is a B and G on the top, in the tracker thing, and now in this reduced form. You were supposed to relate them as algebric variables, whose values are given at the top "b=225 and g=40". B4 and G8 imply that you are to multiply these values by 4 and 8, and hence get coordinates (900,320) which you can use in the tracker as the value of B and G.

Thus you can track down the point, when you get there, you'll see that it can be clicked, on clicking it, the values of b and g on the top change(this was to ensure that no one get's lucky by accidently getting to that point, and pressing it), use the new values and press the second point.

On the next page, the words in light gray make "initial previous barrier" which obviously refers to EP for Elvis Presley.

On the next page, the Fill in the blanks are to be filled out as EUREKA!
as the hint says, numbers unlock things, so you need numbers corresponding to each of the letters to get past. The number isn't just the alphabet's position (eg. c=3), there has been some arithmetic modification to get that unlocking number. On looking at the corners, from the bottom left corner pops out a clue. "WOW!" along with "70 47 72 0" tells you that the position value of the letter is to be multiplied by a number and then it's position in the word is to be added. 1st W => 23*3 + 1 = 70.

The number to be multiplied is not same, otherwise it would've been too easy, after taking a few goes, you should be able to figure out that it is 6.

So the numbers to be entered are,
E U R E K A !
31 128 111 34 71 12 0

enter them and press the button to move ahead.
The next page tells you to sum them up and then move to the next page,
the sum(passkey) is 387

Barrier 4:

After entering 387 as the passkey, the next page offers something I was once told by my friend. Pepsi, when written backwards(the font on the Pepsi bottle is to be considered) gives 12939. The mirrors will help you thing is written to make you understand that you need to look at the mirror image, the fact that I made the images turn, basically removes the need of an actual mirror or so.

After entering 12939,
The code is "random", that's pretty much it Razz, enter random to get through.
The series of questions after that relate digits to number of clicks. The questions on the top can be answered only by using any search engine (unless you know the answer). Find the year, and click that many number of times on the buttons.
The answers are,
Billy was supposed to imply Bill Gates(stupid, yeah I know Razz) but some people got by, by finding some person actually named billy... still, the answer for Bill Gates was, 1955.
next,
The third person was King Richard III, born in 1452, and died in 1485.

Past the Barriers:

After the 4th barrier, you are redirected to another page. Doing just about anything on the page will get you nowhere, but if you're observant enough, the URL possess the page name, it is "continue_no.html" change that to "continue_yes.html" to go forward.

The next page is just a spoiler, you can only go to one page from there... by pressing go.
The final page is camouflaged as an error page saying that you took a wrong turn, and you have to go back, but the fact is that the image at the bottom itself has the final code in it!

On saving the image, you'll notice that the name is "save_me_then_polar_coordinates.jpg"
If you don't know what I could possibly mean by polar coordinates, then you can just try to observe and extract the numbers from the image. What you're supposed to do though, is to open it in Photoshop and goto filter then polar coordinates, this will give you the final image that is required to extract the final code.

The final code:

On observing, zooming in, comparing the digits, the final code comes out to be,
5 11 17 19 24 7 28 26 35

this will basically swirl down to become a word. The method used in the EUREKA! puzzle can be recollected, you need to use some mathematical modifications to get the final answer.

As a very simple approach, subtract the position of the letter(or right now, number) from the sequence, this should give you

4 9 14 15 19 1 21 16 26

these numbers correspond to,

D I N O S A U R Z

Which is the final answer that I was looking for.

It was a pleasure to make and run this competition, and I had fun doing it, I hope that you liked it, and I hope to see some better contests on frihost soon!

With this I finally(I've been waiting for a long time Very Happy) declare Crack the Code finished!
If you are new, don't play for the prize, because it's been taken! but do play for fun if you wish!

I'm not demanding this thread to be closed, just in case someone would like to post something. But the Prizes have been taken!!
cybersa
@speeDemon
I accept that without source i can not achieve the code.
But Cracking have no rule.

My Request:
Make a new contest like this.

If you willing to make one,don't make it on Flash.
It can be easily hacked.
What you think abt javascript?
It also can be hacked.
But it need more knowledge.

-CyB
speeDemon
cybersa wrote:
@speeDemon
My Request:
Make a new contest like this.

I'm actually counting on IceCreamTruck to do that... It's about time I became a player rather than a moderator.. Razz

@IceCreamTruck I don't understand why you hate me, but seriously, make a new competition of this sort, don't take this one's source and make it better or whatever, make a totally new one, and count me in from right now.
cybersa
Ok,Wait for IceCreamTruck to do.
I think making contest like this will make the forum user more active.
IceCreamTruck
speeDemon wrote:
@IceCreamTruck I don't understand why you hate me, but seriously, make a new competition of this sort, don't take this one's source and make it better or whatever, make a totally new one, and count me in from right now.

I voiced an opinion just like everyone else. I don't know why you chose to attack me instead of helping like you did with everyone else. I asked the same question multiple times, and only just now get the info written in your final game write up. All I got out of you was comments that attack my intelligence, so a better question to me is "why would I like you?"

Yeah, I don't like you very much, because you insulted me when I was trying to be nice and helpful and to ask a question about the silly game. I was originally trying to help. You don't want info that could help make the game better, your game is confusing and I now know it's fair to call it impossible, other people have been saying the same things about it that I have, and everyone is cheating to finish the game!!! Your game encourages cheating, and after seeing the insane logic you call a puzzle, I understand cheating to be the only real way to complete the game as I doubt anyone took the HUGE amount of time that it would take to stumble across your answers, and this random garbage is not "puzzle" like to me.

The word "puzzle" suggests something about the audience/players that you are obviously not aware of. This is a "hidden treasure" which was a custom idea born of the, often insane minds, of the pirates that used to hid their treasure. Clues, if any at all, were often broken and incomplete and assumptions usually had to be made when looking at the map, or the clues, in order to find the treasure and often times there was a great measure of luck to actually finding the treasure. Insane captain, vague clues/map, customized trails, and a lot of luck : well, all we're missing is a Parrot named Polly, some strange hats, and cutlasses! Arrrrrgh!

You want to do something that makes me like you... go back and read our posts again, and actually read them this time. Read how inappropriate your responses to me were as well.
gh0strec0n_legit
So late commenting like always but how was i not one of the closest? lol
neelgo
Hi this is Neelgo

get me in the game