FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moveable Type Install

mwm
Anyon ever installed Moveable type on Frihost? I'm not having any luck... Ill spare the details for now unless someone out there has done it.

Thanks

-mwm
foggy
I haven't installed it, but looking at the requirements mentioned on the website, it seems as if it should be possible. Please, spare no details. It's the only way that someone will be able to help.
mwm
I did the cgi install into /cgi-bin/mt/. I FTP'd em all over and set the proper perms. I placed all the static files /mt-static/. I created the database and all should be fine. I did notice that MT needs DBI::MySQL. This perl module does not seem to be present but DBD::MySQL is there

When I hit the site I get:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@blatbox.frihost.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks

-mwm
Bondings
That's most likely the server refusing to execute a file with insecure permissions. Check if any of your files or directories has a permission of 777 and then try to change it to 644 or 755(the last one only if needed).
Sunny
Fst thing you should do is go to>> CPanel >> Error logs and look in logs That will give you more specific reason for the error.

Edit : lol look at the timings of the posts.. mine and bondings...
mwm
Sunny wrote:
Fst thing you should do is go to>> CPanel >> Error logs and look in logs That will give you more specific reason for the error.

Most notable is:
Premature end of script headers: /home/mwm/public_html/cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi

in the error log.
mwm
Bondings wrote:
That's most likely the server refusing to execute a file with insecure permissions. Check if any of your files or directories has a permission of 777 and then try to change it to 644 or 755(the last one only if needed).

755 produced the same output initially described. 644 did this:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi on this server.

Thanks

-mwm
Sunny
This might help!

Quote:
500 on CGI Script Files
Question
I get a 500 Internal Server Error when trying to run the Movable Type CGI files.

Answer
This is a very generic error which occurs when a Perl script fails to execute. The standard things to check are:

Is the path to Perl correct in the first line of each script?

Were all of the script files uploaded to your server, and in ASCII mode? (Check for missing files and do not rely on an Auto-Detect feature for upload mode.)

Have you set the proper permissions (UNIX equivalent of 755; read/write/execute) on the .cgi files?

Is the version of Perl on your server at least 5.004_4 or higher?
You should also make sure you are running the scripts from a folder that is properly configured to run CGI scripts. If you have created a sub-folder in the cgi-enabled folder, you may need to set its permissions to 755 as well.
mwm
Great suggestions and thanks for the quick help on this today. Still not working though. I'm gonna throw another script out there and see what it does. Sumthin simple.

-mwm
mwm
Strange... Created this test.cgi and uploaded as ASCII, it fails with a 500 also.

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<H1>Hello World</H1>\n";

????

-mwm
Bondings
http://www.blatbox.frihost.net/cgi-bin/test.cgi gives "Hello World" for me.

Anyway, I have to go now and I really don't have much knowledge about cgi. Let's hope this will be solved tomorrow, when I get back. Very Happy
Sunny
Works for me too

http://sunny.frihost.net/cgi-bin/test.cgi

However when I uploaded same file in binary mode got 500 error

http://sunny.frihost.net/cgi-bin/test2.cgi

and error log reads

Premature end of script headers: /home/sunny/public_html/cgi-bin/test2.cgi

May be try uploading your files again.
mwm
Still nothing. I used DOS ftp this time and set the mode to ASCII before transferring them. Still getting the same error. Is it possible to get shell access to a command line? If not, how can I verify that all line breaks look OK? Guess I can ftp em back to me and look at the files. Sometimes a DOS2UNIX will strip out bad chars from files.

Kind of at a loss right now. Is anyone out there willing to try an MT install?

Thanks for all the speedy help all

-mwm
Sunny
I can try that for you after I close my office.

I was just wondering if you considered installing other php blogs which are included in fantastico and which can be installed in just few clicks.

Cgi blogs/forums are known to use a lot of resources as compared to php scripting and can slow down the server sometimes.
mwm
Yep, my next step is wordpress. I can always get my posts from WP to MT is I really want to focus on making it work.

Thanks a lot for your time, I appreciate it.

-mwm
jarcelao
i have installer MT successfully to my frihost site....

http://jarcelao.frihost.net/scgi-bin/mt.cgi

i just followed all the instructions provided on the installation guide of MT... if you still have any problems.. just PM me.. ok? Cool
mwm
jarcelao wrote:
i have installer MT successfully to my frihost site....

http://jarcelao.frihost.net/scgi-bin/mt.cgi

i just followed all the instructions provided on the installation guide of MT... if you still have any problems.. just PM me.. ok? Cool

Cool! I should be back on this today at some point. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to fire off a PM..

Thanks

-mwm