FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to connect vb6 to mysql remotely?

Xaferrow
do u guys know how to connect vb6 to mysql remotely?

do you have a link of tutorial to that question?

thanks
umeshtangnu
i think ODBC is way to go
u can check out more by doing a simple google search
Xaferrow
Well, just searched it. and found it.

i have installed the odbc and got my vb6 script. and it works,

and there are something like this:

server = localhost

well, so it just connect to my local server in my pc. and i want to connect it to localhost in frihost. what should i put into 'server' variable??

frihost.com? frih.org? um?
albuferque
I think you can't connect to frihost's MYSQL SERVER remotely. But you can try Federated Tables.

When a client issues an SQL statement that refers to a FEDERATED table, there is a flow of information between the local server (where the SQL statement is executed) and the remote server (where the data is physically stored).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/federated-use.html
Daniel15
It's a bad idea to connect remotely like that, because the password and all the data is sent as plain text (not encrypted). It would also be really slow, which would make your VB6 app very slow. Also, I think FriHost might firewall the MySQL ports so that only the server can access it.

If you want to access data on your FriHost account, my suggestion would be to have a PHP script that grabs the data from the database, and returns it. Your VB app could then get the data from the URL of the PHP script. What data are you getting from the database, exactly?
Xaferrow
Daniel15 wrote:
It's a bad idea to connect remotely like that, because the password and all the data is sent as plain text (not encrypted). It would also be really slow, which would make your VB6 app very slow. Also, I think FriHost might firewall the MySQL ports so that only the server can access it.

If you want to access data on your FriHost account, my suggestion would be to have a PHP script that grabs the data from the database, and returns it. Your VB app could then get the data from the URL of the PHP script. What data are you getting from the database, exactly?

user information
fladry
You can have a look at vbsnippets. It is made by one of the user of frihost and there are more than 1500 snippets. I think there may also be solution to your problem. the website is http://www.vbsnippet.da.ru