FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many posts till you have respect?

How many posts till you are respected?
None
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
50 Posts
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
200 Posts
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
500 Posts
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

redslazers
How many posts does someone need before they are respected in the community

for example i have no tolerance for people with less then 10 posts who put 5 word posts becuase it obvious that they are hitting and running but someone with like 500 i would read there post and try to comment constructively on it.
Helios
That really depends on how you judge users. One can judge users by the number of posts, and another person can judge them by the quality of their posts. For example, you don't have a lot of posts, but you have my respect, and not just because I'm a moderator.
redslazers
thanks for the compliment

mind if i ask
Do you respect me becuase i keep flaming hit and run posters or is it just my posts are of good quality Question
Keran
I believe it's not the amount of posts that counts here, but the quality of the posts. Even someone with 10 quality posts can be far much more respected than someone with 1000 spam and pointless posts.

At least when it comes to me I don't look at the post count when I read someone's response, I just look what the person wrote.
redslazers
ok i have changed my opinion its not about number but quality ill add that to my poll

edit: dam how do you edit the poll?
Donutey
Personally I believe 1174 is the bare minimum number of posts before you are respected. Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Keran wrote:
I believe it's not the amount of posts that counts here, but the quality of the posts. Even someone with 10 quality posts can be far much more respected than someone with 1000 spam and pointless posts.

True, but there are two requirements really:

1: Have enough posts that the person who is reading this one knows who you are by remembering your previous ones. (You could have the best posts ever, but if you only have 3, very few people will know who you are.)
2: Have those previous ones be good enough to deserve respect. (Like Keran said: 1000 spam posts won't get you respect.)
SpellcasterDX
None, I don't judge users by number of posts. I judge them by quality of posts rather than by quantity.
They could have less than 50 posts for all I care. As long as they make nice good posts that actually contribute to the forums, I don't care about their postcount.

And btw, flaming is never a good idea...I wouldn't respect someone for that even if they did mean well with it. (Which is a kind of oxymoron, cause flaming is usually to insult)
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
ok i have changed my opinion its not about number but quality ill add that to my poll

For the record, I respect your postings as they have asked some good questions and come up with good insights, hope you will keep posting as it's nice to have you around!

You should ask Ocalhoun about creating polls, as it can be a challenge for the uninitiated and Ocalhoun is a technical expert in the use of all the Frihost Forum tools. I've not used polls once (kind'a avoided it for that reason) so that is of course living proof that number of postings do not necessarily mean superior knowledge that will get you more respect, just number of postings! Smile
redslazers
Donutey wrote:
Personally I believe 1174 is the bare minimum number of posts before you are respected. Rolling Eyes

lol you just lost me respect for a min or 2
LostOverThere
I definitely agree that to earn respect amongst the forum all you need is to really just be curious to other's and their views, while using decent grammar when posting.

However, respect doesn't happen automatically, so for this reason I agree with ocalhoun.
Parkour_Jarrod
Most of the time people need at least 200 posts before i respect them (i didn't even respect myself when i first started here:P) but for some people i make exceptions and give them respect right away. for example yourself and speeDemon
speeDemon
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Most of the time people need at least 200 posts before i respect them (i didn't even respect myself when i first started here:P) but for some people i make exceptions and give them respect right away. for example yourself and speeDemon

Well thanks for giving me rep.!! btw I have 250 posts curently!
andredesignz
Helios wrote:
That really depends on how you judge users. One can judge users by the number of posts, and another person can judge them by the quality of their posts. For example, you don't have a lot of posts, but you have my respect, and not just because I'm a moderator.

thats just how it is u are so correct Exclamation
ocalhoun
redslazers wrote:

Only a mod can edit a poll after the first post has been replied to.
Utopia GFR
I don't really share the same opinion.

Appreciation or tolerance should not be a tributary of post quantity but of post quality.

Lots of newcomers usually post interesting stuff to read even though some people only go for the numbers because they really need to get their website published online.

Furthermore, I think it takes time to get to know each other but making such a quick statement over virtual tolerance and respect over post quantity is probably too conclusive and not really constructive.

Being an active Frihoster requires time investment, motivation and inspiration.

I'm pretty much sure that some of us are extremely busy with real life purposes so creating topics and feeding threads woudn't be considered as high priority tasks Smile

redslazers wrote:
How many posts does someone need before they are respected in the community

for example i have no tolerance for people with less then 10 posts who put 5 word posts becuase it obvious that they are hitting and running but someone with like 500 i would read there post and try to comment constructively on it.
Afaceinthematrix
Donutey wrote:
Personally I believe 1174 is the bare minimum number of posts before you are respected. :roll:

Ha. I like how you put the bare minimum at what you're at. I guess I should say that the bare minimum is 1439 posts.

Anyways... I tend to go with the majority here in saying that quality is far better than quantity (although nothing beats quantity with quality).
speeDemon
to be true.. well, I respect any person who has an avatar, and even 1 quality post... thats quite it...

But if you dont have an avatar... dont expect anything from me Twisted Evil

actually seeing the 'new member' rank is quite annoying! I mean, its a grey small pin like thing, and 'new member' written!! if you atleast have an avatar which I can Shocked at, then well, that convinces me to read your post !!
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:

<.<

Well, actually the avatar does help... It makes you more recognizable, and shows that you put a little extra effort in.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

But if you dont have an avatar... dont expect anything from me :twisted:

<.<

Well, actually the avatar does help... It makes you more recognizable, and shows that you put a little extra effort in.

LoL, I probably had over 500 posts at least before I finally decided to get this avatar... and the only reason that I got this avatar is that I just happened to come across it on a Metallica fan site and I thought it was cool...
ocalhoun
^ I wonder if anybody remembers my original one...
Nameless
Theoretically, members shouldn't need to make any posts ... there should be a moderate base level of respect given to EVERYONE as a person, until proven otherwise. If somebody makes a five word posts, then it goes down. If that post is actually hilarious, it goes up. If you make high quality posts it wouldn't take long to be highly respected, but the greater number of posts you make (assuming they're not awful) the more you are going to be logically respected, it's just relative. Or something.
Deathspawn989
I chose 50. Two reasons mostly. One, if you haven't reached 50, you really haven't been an avid user. Two, if those 50 posts contain more than one sentence that is useful, you have use.
Agent ME
I mainly judge posts by how much sense they make, and how nice they look. Good capitalization and grammar is always good.

I might look at the number of posts of a user if he's presenting an opinion and I'm trying to decide how much weight I should put on it in my own mind.
speeDemon
ocalhoun wrote:
^ I wonder if anybody remembers my original one...
haha!! call bondings!
redslazers
speeDemon wrote:
to be true.. well, I respect any person who has an avatar, and even 1 quality post... thats quite it...

actually seeing the 'new member' rank is quite annoying! I mean, its a grey small pin like thing, and 'new member' written!! if you atleast have an avatar which I can Shocked at, then well, that convinces me to read your post !!

i know totaly off topic but who likes my avatar
speeDemon
redslazers wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

Yay!! mee!! I like it!!
Parkour_Jarrod
redslazers wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

Ya i lke it, but i think the iris' could be a different colour, like blue or green
patchworkepiphany
I would answer this post, but i have neither a high number nor an avatar as of yet so it won't be respected Wink

/me makes a note to get an avatar she likes.

ps. for the record, i think it should be about respect, quality and the swimsuit competition. Oh an world peace ( did i mention a sense of humour too?? Wink )
standready
I believe it is the quality of one's post which leaves me out. Plus, no avatar here - strike 2. Will work on that third strike. Rolling Eyes
mathiaus
The following are ways that affect my opinion of people on here; (From a mod perspective)

• Getting involved.
    • Taking part in the great topics here, really immersing yourself in the conversation. Taking part in the competitions or even running one or two is also a plus! +
    • Staying in the background you may not be noticed. Thisis neither good nor bad.

• Making Suggestions.
    • Whether good or not, make it clear what your suggestion is and why it should be implemented. +
    • Even good suggestions can be ruined when it isn't explained and no reason is given for it. -

• Posts.
    • The main criteria is quality though obviously some posts are required to show this quality. No particular number though as quality and personality can be shown in a fairly small number of posts. +
    • Those that simple post a lot of what I deem to be rubbish get on my nerves.-

• Hosting Requests
    • Make your first 10 posts really good in good forums (avoid introductions alone), fill in what was asked (and in English) and be patient. +
    • Make 10 rubbish posts and/or don't fill in the form properly and/or keep asking how long until you are accepted.-

• Rules
    • Follow the rules, ask if not sure +
    • Don't follow, sometimes deliberately break or don't even read the rules.-

• Reports
    • Report the correct post/topic/user with a reason for a legitimate purpose +
    • Report the wrong thing, giving no reason, possibly being just spiteful or worse to test! -

• AWITS
    • Respond in god time being polite, accepting you are wrong and correcting faults +
    • Being arumentative, not reading the rules, not correcting problems and being rude -

There are plenty more of course. General manners are good. If you are often in the middle of 'forum fights' you will be known as a troublemaker or for some, just trouble!

Those in the science and religion forums gain their own kind of respect, different to that of other places. The intelligence of some of those people is incredible. To have such a smart group of people in a small place like this is incredible!

Every forum/category attracts different people I find (in general at least) with the potential to showcase talents. The art category shows we have some fantastic photographers and artists and on other places, great coders, graphic artists, computer experts (& linux magicians), poets, authors, musicians, budding film directors and more.
redslazers
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
redslazers wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

Ya i lke it, but i think the iris' could be a different colour, like blue or green

totaly agree when i think about it, ill change it staright away

Old

New
ankitdatashn
There is a saying that to get respect first give respect. Unless you give respec to others you cant get the respect back.

It doesnt matter if a person has written 500 or 5 posts, If the message is clear so is the mind of that person, So In my view respect does not depend on the number of posts a person has written, not even in my wildest of dreams, and I also try to give respect to all.
PatTheGreat42
I don't think it's the sheer number of posts... anybody can reply to "What's your favorite search engine" with "Google." It's post quality!
speeDemon
haha! redslazers! your avatar's iris's color changes each time I see it!!
redslazers
speeDemon wrote:
haha! redslazers! your avatar's iris's color changes each time I see it!!

life is hard and im in a limbo of reality (brown eyes) and the demands of my fellow frihosters (blue eyes)
deanhills
Thanks to Mathiaus for his generous posting, really a good one. Wonder whether the posting needs to be made into a Sticky up on the Chat forum, as usually this is where beginners would post for the first time? Smile

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105026-2.html

Think what also impressed me was the truth about posting in the science and religion forums. Perhaps we need to have a Sticky up on the Religion Forum to warn people that these are not Forums to mess around in unless people who post in those Forums can back up their statements with solid facts. Shocked Smile

mathiaus wrote:
Those in the science and religion forums gain their own kind of respect, different to that of other places. The intelligence of some of those people is incredible. To have such a smart group of people in a small place like this is incredible!
I feel the same, we are very lucky to have some really gifted and truly expert Frihosters posting regularly in the Science and Religion and Philosophy Forums and who obviously are very knowledgeable on their subjects. However possibly new posters should be warned about this, i.e. that it is never personal. Sometimes those attacks are by more than one expert at a time and can really be upsetting to new members who obviously do not know what it is about and are not used to these kind of tackles. I've noticed some good posters starting off in the Religion Forum and then after a very tough debate, not see them again. Perhaps there should be a sticky on top of the Religion Forum by the Moderator of that Forum explaining what to expect and not to take it personally as it never is? Smile
redslazers
deanhills wrote:
Thanks to Mathiaus for his generous posting, really a good one. Wonder whether the posting needs to be made into a Sticky up on the Chat forum, as usually this is where beginners would post for the first time? Smile

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105026-2.html

ya i think its a good idea that mathiaus post becomes a sticky because it makes a very clear point to what is wrong and right which is important for many of the new people starting so they dont just post and stupid things to get hosting
Hogwarts
redslazers wrote:

Ya i lke it, but i think the iris' could be a different colour, like blue or green[/quote]

totaly agree when i think about it, ill change it staright away[/quote]

Personally, I base my respect on somebody I haven't previously met on two things.

One, the content they express. If their dialogue is filled with "lol", "wat" and "lolwat", I'm probably not going to respect them. In addition, if somebody has an avatar such as

it does influence my opinion on the type of person you are. This one, for example, makes me think of you somewhere between the ranges of 8 and 13. Of course, I know might be wrong, and it might be a horrible stereotype I'm making here, but after reading this forum for over three years and seeing how common an occurrence this is, I've come to find a saddening degree of reliability in that.

Two, the way they express the content. If their dialogue does include correct spelling, even, I'll still respect somebody vastly less if they talk in the sense of "ya i like it". It makes me think of somebody either with a completely mangled grasp of the English language; or just somebody too damned lazy to press the shift key. That basically makes me think, "It's not worth my time to read the rest of this half-arsed post, and I'm beginning to regret having started to read it". I'm clocking over 100 words per minute on this defunct keyboard. If you're too lazy to type properly, why are you on a damned computer and not reading a book or something? Shocked
redslazers
Hogwarts wrote:
redslazers wrote:

In addition, if somebody has an avatar such as

it does influence my opinion on the type of person you are. This one, for example, makes me think of you somewhere between the ranges of 8 and 13. Of course, I know might be wrong, and it might be a horrible stereotype I'm making here, but after reading this forum for over three years and seeing how common an occurrence this is, I've come to find a saddening degree of reliability in that.

Im insulted, i dont look anything like my avatar in real life but i use it becuase it looks good in my opion

btw im nearly 16
forkei
i hope my posts can reach to the 500 Posts Laughing Laughing
Ghost900
I honestly don't really look so much at how many posts, but the quality of the posts. Some people just put a smiley and some small comment to get the numbers up so post count doesn't mean to much.

O and I always respect the moderators, even the mean team. Very Happy
Flakky
Most starters here tend to post short messages or really big messages with colors and styles just to apply for the hosting and 50 is still not enough for me. Everyone with 200 posts or more get my respect automatically because most junk got filtered. Not that every <200 is a bad person but chances are higher it is.
Arseniy
I'm respected anyway... ^_^ Just kidding.
I rate people here depending on their post length and quality of language and information. Also I would like to talk with pretty and kind users, not ugly and angry Smile
saratdear
I don't care as long as it is me who you all respect first. Razz

Jokes aside, I try to look at the quality of the posts rather than the quality, too. But I have a tendency to see a quality post, see that it is someone who has, say, under 10 posts, and I think "Oh, he is a newbie". As if new people are another species. Rolling Eyes I've got to change this habit, I know.

On the other hand, I get so pissed off when I see people with a good number of posts post total spam.
redslazers
saratdear wrote:
I don't care as long as it is me who you all respect first. Razz

Jokes aside, I try to look at the quality of the posts rather than the quality, too. But I have a tendency to see a quality post, see that it is someone who has, say, under 10 posts, and I think "Oh, he is a newbie". As if new people are another species. Rolling Eyes I've got to change this habit, I know.

On the other hand, I get so pissed off when I see people with a good number of posts post total spam.

I really think we should ad an auror system then the good and bad can be sorted out early and the bad kicked out
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
redslazers wrote:

In addition, if somebody has an avatar such as

Im insulted, i dont look anything like my avatar in real life but i use it becuase it looks good in my opion

btw im nearly 16

To be truthful redslazers, I really liked your avatar from before, nothing wrong with it. I also liked the colour of the eyes before you changed it too in the avatar. Think my most favourite avatar is the one by Mathiaus.

I think appreciation of avatars is basically personal and individual and everyone will have a different point of view. So the most important person to be happy with it is really you. I like your new Avatar as well, but that is just my own personal opinion of course and a biased one Smile

Was just thinking, maybe this could be an idea for a contest one day, "nicest avatar"! Smile
Fatality
I don't think this is based on the number of posts but how you treat people, how you judge others, and how you present yourself. Also, where and how often you post will be a factor in how well people get to know you.
biljap
Having a lot of posts is for respect but it really doesn’t have to mean anything... Who would you respect more, someone who has several high quality posts which helped other users to resolve some of their problems... Or someone who has 500 meaningless posts...
redslazers
biljap wrote:
Having a lot of posts is for respect but it really doesn’t have to mean anything... Who would you respect more, someone who has several high quality posts which helped other users to resolve some of their problems... Or someone who has 500 meaningless posts...

but who actually posts 500 times if its meaning less?
ocalhoun
redslazers wrote:
biljap wrote:

but who actually posts 500 times if its meaning less?

missdixy
I'm sure this was said before...but it really depends on the quality! Like someone could have 10,000 posts and make one post which totally made me lose respect for me, and that would be that.

All that post-count really says is that you're dedicated.