FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Seven wonders in India................

subirbasak
Quote:
The Sun Temple, Meenakshi Temple, Khajuraho, Red Fort, Jaisalmer Fort, Nalanda university and the Dholavira site were Monday named the 'Seven Wonders of India' after a nationwide poll.

The
Quote:
NDTV
, in association with the tourism ministry's Incredible India campaign, announced the final winners at a gala ceremony here after this first-of-its-kind initiative brought millions of Indians together to vote for their favourite natural and manmade marvel of the country.

Apart from honouring the top seven architectural beauties of India,
Quote:
NDTV
also awarded the 'Peaceful Wonder of India' and 'Spiritual Wonder of India' to the Golden Temple and the Tawang Monastery respectively, the TV network said in a release.

The monument of love Taj Mahal was honoured as 'The Wonder of Wonders'

source - http://www.india-forums.com/news/article.asp?id=164981
MOD - Quote tags and source added - Bikerman
deanhills
They're all buildings? And mostly religious? What happened to all the natural wonders of India i.e. Indus Valley, Harrappa. Also what about the Vijayanagara architecture in Hampi, Karnataka?
redslazers
dude i think you misunderstood the point of quoting, i think you are meant to quote the actual text and not the source to stop you getting undeserved $fri

yes i sound like an admin

edit: thanks mod for adding the quotes
adamprisa
i wonder why ajanta and ellora caves are not included. they are also one of the best places to visit.
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
They're all buildings? And mostly religious? What happened to all the natural wonders of India i.e. Indus Valley, Harrappa. Also what about the Vijayanagara architecture in Hampi, Karnataka?

Quote:

i wonder why ajanta and ellora caves are not included. they are also one of the best places to visit.

No, they are not mostly religious, only two of them. Well, they started with a list of 100 wonders and reached here by opinion polls. So, all the other things you might think were also in the list earler.
ocalhoun
Indians sure are patriotic these days...
I don't think I've ever heard of a list of the 7 wonders of the USA, though surely one exists. Nobody posts it though, despite the large number of Americans here.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Indians sure are patriotic these days...
I don't think I've ever heard of a list of the 7 wonders of the USA, though surely one exists. Nobody posts it though, despite the large number of Americans here.
I'm not saying this facetiously, but perhaps the United States is Wonder No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 ...... in ad infinitum. It does not have to say what its wonders are as it does not have to prove its wonders. Perhaps India, and for that matter a number of countries in the World, who are less mentioned in the media, feel that they need to enlighten the world of their wonders. And perhaps they have a point, as I actually looked those up and found what I looked up educational. At the same time it puzzled me, as I happen to know of places in India that are much more "wondrous", so whoever was responsible in India for doing this wonder hyping exercise, obviously did go about it the wrong way, and of course to the detriment of what it wanted to do, as when people from the world read about this, it sort of rubbed them up the wrong way, being irritated at "hype", which it probably was. Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
At the same time it puzzled me, as I happen to know of places in India that are much more "wondrous", so whoever was responsible in India for doing this wonder hyping exercise, obviously did go about it the wrong way, and of course to the detriment of what it wanted to do, as when people from the world read about this, it sort of rubbed them up the wrong way, being irritated at "hype", which it probably was. Smile

Well, this was an "opinion-poll", the wonder getting most votes win. So, just like American Idol, its not always the "best" who wins but more "popular" one wins.
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Well, this was an "opinion-poll", the wonder getting most votes win. So, just like American Idol, its not always the "best" who wins but more "popular" one wins.
Excellent point. The world kind'a works that way in every respect. Smile
Chinmoy
swearing on a topic relating to your own country...now thats thats bad nettitude..
hunnyhiteshseth
Chinmoy wrote:
swearing on a topic relating to your own country...now thats thats bad nettitude..

What made you think that he is an ndian?
Anyway, I guess swearing on ANY thread is bad netitude!
Fake
i wonder who voted for such places!
not happy