FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows XP or 98?????

Which windows do u prefer???
Windows XP
90%
 90%  [ 28 ]
Windows 98
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

whplace
Hey guys!!!!
Which version of windows do you guys think is better????
I go for XP. But people say 98 is better!!!!! Confused . The only 2 hit versions of windows are XP and 98. But which is better????

Please post what you think in this thread..

Thank you.
psycosquirrel
I say niether.

Windows 2000 is better than both, because it has less security flaws than both XP and 98, and is much more stable than both combined...

But, if I had to pick between XP and 98, I would go with XP simply because most modern software and hardware is designed for use on it.
drandyy
I agree with psycho, even though 98 was a good OS, I would have to go with XP because It is the most up-to-date program. If you think about it, most of the things you run on XP with ease would struggle on 98. XP ftw.
naz
Is this question serious ????
I don't think any serious user would recommend you 98 for any reason.
The lak of features, security and the fact that this OS is totaly outdateted should make any user avoid this OS.
gh0stface
naz wrote:
Is this question serious ????
I don't think any serious user would recommend you 98 for any reason.
The lak of features, security and the fact that this OS is totaly outdateted should make any user avoid this OS.

The only way I would recommend Windows 98 is if you have a really, really crappy computer. Something amongst the lines of Pentium I 200 MHz or with 64MB of RAM.

Well, depending on what your machine specs are, it's hard to tell. However, Windows XP is the better bet. However if you're machine specs aren't that great, you might want to take a look at Windows 2000. It's essentially the same as Windows XP as it's built of the Win 2k core, but with out all the eye candy and minus some features. Also the computer recommendations for Windows 2000 aren't as high as Windows XP.
xorcist
I got with XP because it just looks better then 98 and everything is updated.
nik
psycosquirrel wrote:
I say niether.

Windows 2000 is better than both, because it has less security flaws than both XP and 98, and is much more stable than both combined...

But, if I had to pick between XP and 98, I would go with XP simply because most modern software and hardware is designed for use on it.

is this a joke? 2000 have the most bugs and considered as worst os ever...

i use xp only becouse it's new...

the best is 98. it's not hard on the pc, dont' have much bugs and support allmoast everything...
Donutey
Uhhh... Windows XP with all of the "pretty" stuff turned off, can pretty easily run on a PII machine, in fact in my experience it as fast as 98 if all of the visual features are turned off (ie, the blue theme, window min max movement, etc.) but it takes some work.
98 is good for running old dos programs, which is why i still have a machine with it... 98 (se) is a very good os especially since its 7 years old...
xp only cause most programs run on it best... otherwise linux Rolling Eyes
lockwolf
I said XP mainly because its still supported. but I like linux overall
n0obie4life
98!!!!!!!!

WIN 98 ROXXORS...

But MS stopped supporting it, dammit.
speedlikecy
i prefer to use windows xp...

winxp control the ram and cpu computation
is better than windows98.

win98 dont know to free up you computer ram after use
Nawert
I like xp because it is newer and just looks better and is easier to use then 98. When I had 98 back in the day I could never get things working but maybe thats just me. Now I have XP on my old pc with 64 mb of ram.
onur
windows 95 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

of course XP
nunosilva
ahaaha! unfortunatelly I have to have one windows installed on my laptop, so that my girlfriend can use it without problems to herself. Of course I use XP instead of 95. apart of that, and knowing that windows sucks, must say linux is the best OS ever

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
comsci18
i think Windows XP is better than Windows 98
because it easy to use and has a lot of dricer for your hardwares
Windows XP does not want some special dricer for your hardware
(not newer than the date that windows xp was release)
RavenCross
XP is a hundred fold better than 98.. All modern apps requires an XP OS. but still XP is not the most secure OS.. I still go for open source OS
izcool
There are many reasons why to love Windows XP over Windows 98.

Many examples are shown at Microsoft's website comparing the two on how Windows XP is better :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/sidebyside/default.mspx

And :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/wxpvswin98.mspx

And :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.mspx

I only use Windows 98 on machines that are too slow to run Windows XP or Windows 2000.

- Mike.
Kd527
Out of those two, I say xp, however, I like Mac OS X best.
Cryptz
i personally like WinXp over Win98

but i heard some p[ositive for 98 over stablibity and less security holes

but with Vista comming Win98 is nothing Razz
mars
I use windows xp pro sp2.

No one use windows 98?
bigdan
Windows XP for me...but Win 98 was pretty good. I used to have both on my old PC as a dual boot...some programs would not do the business with XP Sad
izcool
bigdan wrote:
Windows XP for me...but Win 98 was pretty good. I used to have both on my old PC as a dual boot...some programs would not do the business with XP Sad

Windows XP has addressed that issue with some programs that are not compatable with the OS. Right-click the shortcut to the program, go to Properties, and click on the Compatibility tab on the top. Enable that option and choose the OS that you know that the program works with. Might work, yet it might not. It's worth a try. Best of luck to you with that.

EDIT :
Found this on Google in under 2 seconds of time, might help you to read that instead of what I suggested above (with the same tool, but might be explained better than how I had) : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

- Mike.
jongoldsz
From those Operating systems I say MSdos is better the and Linux is best.
tommy.studio
Most of my friends use XP.
I think it is not bad...
MaartenVdP
When I really have to choose, i'd go for win98,
It's more adjustable and staight forward than XP,
98 was a real improvement while XP was no much more than a face-lift of win2000, the best of all!!!!

But why bother choosing between those two if you can get linux for free??? Confused Question
ronitvohra
windows 98?whts tht.......just kidding

Well using windows Xp sp2
cowboyx
THe way I see it XP sucks 98 sucks but 98SE rules. . . . . I only run XP because I have to for most of my games. and my 98 and 98se disks broke
gairo
whplace wrote:
Hey guys!!!!
Which version of windows do you guys think is better????
I go for XP. But people say 98 is better!!!!! Confused . The only 2 hit versions of windows are XP and 98. But which is better????

Please post what you think in this thread..

Thank you.

I think the best I have ever used is win2000. Now might be Win7 64bit if your system hardware performances are hight.

For Vista... well... in my opinion I think Vista is rubbbbbbbish!!! It slows down a lot PC performances and I don't really like its grafacal interface...
mgeek
Win98 has too many security flaws. Get XP
chartcentral
I'll choose Windows XP over Windows 98. But currently, I'll go get a Windows 7 where applicable. Smile
metalfreek
Both 98 and XP are great OS but I will go with XP since it automatically takes driver for USB devices like flash drive and 98 doesn't.

Vista was a crap from Microsoft but Windows 7 is great. I am waiting for windows 8 which is expected to be released on 2012.
Naldo
Win 98 doesn't start up after warp speed installation on modern computers.
About this issue a official note from MS appears.

It fails at my Laptop @1.6GHz.
SultanMA
XP for sure >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
cnkele
I like WinXp,but I think like which os is a personal problem,no need to discuss.
portoskt
depends of your needs, but i think xp is much much better product
Davidbroad
Xp No doubt
achowles
Is this question even still relevant? Was it ever really all that relevant?
dude_xyx
The biggest thing I have loved about Windows XP when I moved from Windows 98 was Plug and Play feature. Nothing better than this.