FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do i...

Parkour_Jarrod
How do i get a point's/currency system for my forums like they do here at Frihost?

Now i would like to point out that i know NOTHING about php or MySQL or databases or anything, i only know HTML, CSS and a little but of JS.

So how do i get this system in my forums (I'm using phpBB3) and how do i manage said system?
rockacola
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

...Now i would like to point out that i know NOTHING about php or MySQL or databases or anything, i only know HTML, CSS and a little but of JS. ...

Then it's hard to start the conversation that way... Rolling Eyes
Best is for you to understand basics of server side programming languages such as PHP, THEN come back to this question. Wink
DoctorBeaver
I agree with rockacola. Without at least a basic knowledge of php/mySQL you won't be able to do it. But even learning php/mySQL would be only the start of your problems.

Altering the database to accommodate a points system is very straightforward, as is the code to update it. Your problem will be deciding how to award points and then calculating how many points a particular post is worth. You can't just go by how many words/characters are in the post as it could consist mainly of a quote from another post with just a single word comment underneath. You would need to parse the post to see how much of it is original. Then there is the problem of someone modifying a post. What alterations did they make? How many points are the alterations worth? Did they add (+ points) or remove (- points) text? How about deletion of a post? You would need to know how many points were added so that you could deduct them.

I know this issue has caused much scratching of heads here at Frihhost. I considered doing something similar on my own site but decided against it in the end because it was just too damned complicated. If I were you I would think seriously about whether you really want to do it.
Parkour_Jarrod
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I agree with rockacola. Without at least a basic knowledge of php/mySQL you won't be able to do it. But even learning php/mySQL would be only the start of your problems.

Altering the database to accommodate a points system is very straightforward, as is the code to update it. Your problem will be deciding how to award points and then calculating how many points a particular post is worth. You can't just go by how many words/characters are in the post as it could consist mainly of a quote from another post with just a single word comment underneath. You would need to parse the post to see how much of it is original. Then there is the problem of someone modifying a post. What alterations did they make? How many points are the alterations worth? Did they add (+ points) or remove (- points) text? How about deletion of a post? You would need to know how many points were added so that you could deduct them.

I know this issue has caused much scratching of heads here at Frihhost. I considered doing something similar on my own site but decided against it in the end because it was just too damned complicated. If I were you I would think seriously about whether you really want to do it.

I really do want to do it, i want the point system to work exactly like the frihost system. So could anyone send me a link to a tutorial that would help me learn said problems?
Gushe
Search for Cashmod plugin. Wink
Fire Boar
Yes, it's just a PHPBB mod. Very easy to install, just follow the step by step instructions. Cash mod is what you're after. Click here to visit the project page and to find a link to download it.
Parkour_Jarrod
Thanks ill check it out

I tried it out

Didn't work at all

I tried over and over again

One evening, in a busy lounge in the deep south, a reindeer walked in the door, bellied up to the bar and ordered a martini. Without batting an eye, the bartender mixed and poured the drink, set it in front of the reindeer, and accepted the twenty-dollar bill from the reindeer's hoof.

As he handed the reindeer some coins in change, he said, "You know, I think you're the first reindeer I've ever seen in here."

The reindeer looked hard at the hoofful of change and said, "Hmmmpf. Let me tell you something, buddy. At these prices, I'm the last reindeer you'll see in here."
DoctorBeaver
gushe - that's a good add-on. I didn't know about it. Pity I don't use phpBB Crying or Very sad
Xaferrow
Wau, cool addon

Sad unlucky i use smf