FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Active Directory [Hacking Theory]

cr3ativ3
Hello,

I am very IT Security focused, our School Board has Active Directory setup, now all the PC's in the school run Active Directory, except for a couple special circumstances. It is actually against the TOS, to connect a PC to the network that is not running AD (obv. no wireless AP's).

Now in my Cisco class we are really lucky to have the privilege to run certain Internet accessible PC's on the network without AD setup and installed on them. Now I was doing some exploration and determined that I could actually connect to any of the network printers in our school, and print for free which was cool.

But I started thinking about other security problems with the network, and seeing as on the AD enabled machines you can run netstat commands and such, you can find the ip/name of the Domain Controller and File Server for the school.

Now to my question the domain controller and file server are probably setup on a static IP. If this is the case would it not be as simple as to set the IP of one non-AD machine to the same IP as that server, causing an IP conflict. Which in turn would basically bring down the whole authentication system temporarily for the entire school would it not?

If my theory is wrong, what kinda security measures and fail safes are put in place to prevent this kinda attack?
Pepperfan
Hello cr3ativ3,

You seem to have some misconceptions so I thought I would try and shed some light were I can,

Quote:
now all the PC's in the school run Active Directory,

It is unlikely that all the computers are running Active Directory because that requires active directory runs on the server/ domain controller. Rather with Active directory authentication allows those servers to dole out use of network resources.

Quote:
It is actually against the TOS, to connect a PC to the network that is not running AD)

Your Admins may require that they register your computer in the Active directory. It is the TOS not that makes that requirement..

Quote:
(obv. no wireless AP's)

Computers can login into an AD domain wirelessly. Again it is a policy/TOS that forbids wireless connections.

Quote:
But I started thinking about other security problems with the network, and seeing as on the AD enabled machines you can run netstat commands and such, you can find the ip/name of the Domain Controller and File Server for the school.

Once someone is attached to your network security starts getting much more difficult.

Quote:
Now to my question the domain controller and file server are probably setup on a static IP.

They must me on static IPs.

Quote:
Now to my question the domain controller and file server are probably setup on a static IP. If this is the case would it not be as simple as to set the IP of one non-AD machine to the same IP as that server, causing an IP conflict. Which in turn would basically bring down the whole authentication system temporarily for the entire school would it not?

Yes, if you attach a computer to the network and set its IP address to the same as the domain controller it would cause problems... But it would be a lot more subtle than you would think. First of all the router that controls the network caches the locations of the IP addresses on the network. So you would have to do more than simply add this computer. I would say more but I think it is a bad idea to do so. There would be problems but they would be subtle at first. I wouldn't recommend that anyone try it. If it was my network and your computer showed up with any of my servers IP addresses on it I would most certainly fire you and or report you to the police and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. Smile Not that I think that you would do something like that.

Quote:
what kinda security measures and fail safes are put in place to prevent this kinda attack

The best thing to do is to prevent unauthorized computers on your network. If you have a wireless network secure it and have a Key that people have to go to you for.

Charles