FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Console games for the very young

Ghengis
My 3-year-old daughter has watched daddy play enough games that she's ready for some of her own. Thing is, I don't really have a laptop kidproofed enough to let her do a lot of PC stuff. She likes GCompris, but frankly that is pretty shoddily done and it "wears off" pretty fast. I'm happy to let her play on the PS3 or 360, but not many games there hold her interest.

She loves The Maw (awesome), Banjo Kazooie (the XBLA one, not the new one), and sometimes she'll play Super Stardust HD or tinker with Noby Noby boy (though not, generally, for very long). It has to be something she can grasp, which is why "run around" / "fly around" games seem to work well. Obviously I want to avoid violent stuff, as well as anything I'd find annoying to watch (e.g., no Spongebob). The Maw is pushing it a little -- some people have guns, but it's very cartoony in how they handle it. If anybody has suggestions, by all means let me know.
Spartan
Halo 3! Kidding.
Have you ever considered.. say.. Viva Pinata?
8166UY
In just a few years she also could be ready for Spyro. But I guess that'll be if she reaches the double amount of age.
nhatoday
I bought a Sony PSP portable for my son, he is 4 years old and he loves it. You can play games, watch movies, go on internet, play MP3...
Ghengis
OK, I was looking for specific games that a 3-year-old can enjoy with little adult help. That means anything that requires reading is out; menu-driven games like Viva Pinata are also a stretch. The challenge is to come up with games that a kid can have fun with without saying "Daddy do this for me" every 8 seconds. Lego Star Wars / Indy / Whatever probably would be a good example...
Spartan
Ghengis wrote:
OK, I was looking for specific games that a 3-year-old can enjoy with little adult help. That means anything that requires reading is out; menu-driven games like Viva Pinata are also a stretch. The challenge is to come up with games that a kid can have fun with without saying "Daddy do this for me" every 8 seconds. Lego Star Wars / Indy / Whatever probably would be a good example...

Ah, yeah, my bad, I just realized that Viva Pinata can be confusing. As you said, the Lego games are actually fun for all ages I believe, and simple too. Smile
amperx
gether a psp or ds, i prefer ds, cause lots of games released on that system caters to kids, and its very interactive Very Happy
enygmasoft
amperx wrote:
gether a psp or ds, i prefer ds, cause lots of games released on that system caters to kids, and its very interactive Very Happy

my kids are forever on the wii also using the ds they do have plenty for younger crowds.
Ghengis
I like the DS because I think the stylus is intuitive for kids. There are a handful of Wii games that my daughter seems to "get", but I don't think she quite understands using the pointer function of the wiimote yet. It's a bit frustrating, because a lot of games that would otherwise be appropriate she can't quite manage.

Just to clarify though, I'm not looking for *system* suggestions (I already own all of them...), I'm looking for suggestions of individual games.